Customs: What computer do you prefer a follow on thread

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Crts, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Crts

Crts Deluxe Class

Ebay:
  2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'll simply repeat my previous answer:

AMD Phenom 9500 quad core
    3Gb RAM
    1x1Tb SATA HDD
    2x500Gb SATA HDD
    2x500Gb IDE HDD
    52x DVD rewriter
    1Gb nVidia GeForce 9800GT GFX Card
    21" LG Flatron W2234S widescreen monitor
    M-Audio Delta 1010LT soundcard (10 in/10 out)

Or to put it another way, I use a PC. A brutally powerful quad core specifically modified and tuned to run high end graphics & music apps ridiculously well.
    And to modify a Mac to do the same (assuming it's even possible) would have cost a HELL of a lot more money, in addition to the much higher initial outlay.
    I have no need for a Mac.

Oh. And.
    *Get this, Mac lovers - if you bother to look after your machine properly and dont do anything stupid with it, a PC won't get any viruses either. It'll also cost you a hell of a lot less, and be far more upgradable. And Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on the above machine runs like a greased cougar from the planet Smooth.*

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

You posted a PC vs Mac thread in Radicons General Discussion? Okay...

I'm a PC, by the way. I don't buy into the "we're against conformity and we show it by buying crap that all looks the same" hype.

Considering you posted this in the Radicons General Discussion, I find it fitting that customization is what it's all about for me. You don't necessarily get that with a Mac. And like Draven said, getting viruses is completely on the shoulders of the user, NOT the OS.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm a Radicon, but I own a PC :)  I can use both PC and Mac, though, as I had to during art classes in undergrad. Macs are a huge hold over from the early days of graphic design. Just recently (last decade) has Apple really launched very mainstream with Macs. Computers are simply tools. Like Draven said, take care of one and use it well :thumb 

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I'm a Marvel.

6. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

i pwn u noobz with my PC.

386SX processor
    2mb RAM
    20mg Deskstar HDD
    3.5" floppydisk drive
    5.25" floppydisk drive
    SVGA graphics
    MSDOS 3.2

BLAM. i don't own a Mac because despite being a web application developer i don't own a beret, don't tweet or blog, i'm not a massive cunt and accept that it really doesn't matter what platform you use aslong as you turn out quality work.

7. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's not true, if you're running Windows, you will have to worry about viruses working on that platform. Aside from some exceptions, it's the OS which is vulnerable or not to viruses, not the hardware.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    so true ;) 
    you left out "and a starbuck's vente skinny latte non-fat extra hot latte in my hand"

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Fuck that. I go for a Venti latte with 2 extra shots, and cinnamon & a LOT of sugar. Or, since there is no Starbucks in my town (yet) a can of Rockstar. ;) 

10. Crts

Crts Deluxe Class

Ebay:

2mb RAM wow my Dsi runs faster So here are my stats

MacBook
    2gb of RAM
    150 GB storage capacity
    Snow Leopard

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Nice. But I think he was joking. And besides - 2 can play at that game:
    I could fit your entire hard drive on my Apps partition 4 times over. How do you feel now?
    Learn some manners son. Your Mac's not that special, so curb the smug comments.

12. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

Im a pc. but i have both lol.

i use pc for everyday.. 90% of the time... im only on the mac if i need to do photoshop... or if im too lazy to move 5 inches to the left to my pc and i'll just move 1 inch to right to my mac to google something...

13. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

I use both, but mainly PC. and I'm a graphic designer for whom Macs are theoretically made for...

Actually I use three different os right now.

two year old XP desktop that I use almost exclusively for 3D modeling and image processing. Sadly she is beginning to fail me. Probably have to replace her next year. :( 

1.83ghz dual core
    2GB ram
    7900 GT
    1TB hard drive

laptop with 7, mainly my internet browser and word processor. It was originally vista which surprisingly gave me no problems.

and my school has a mac lab. which honestly, falls right between the other two in capability. I can't use photoshop on my laptop because the onboard video card can't take it, and I can't do any heavy photoshop work in the mac lab without PS crashing. Neither of the other two can handle 3DS Max, and a Mac that would be usable would probably cost around 4K.

Straight graphic design outlook: macs are a nightmare to process images on, or at least the ones we use are. Apparently we as human beings lack the understanding enough to want to actually delete something. It irritates me that I can't just open a range of 100+ photos I've just taken, sit down, and speed through them deleting any out of focus/bad exposure/similar files in one fell swoop. I have to individually delete them, or use iPhoto. iPhoto itself is another almost completely unnecessary program for the professional. It's basically a photo viewer that forces you to arrange files where your mac want's them. The photo editing tools are limited compared to photoshop (even the $50 elements version). For a general user it's better than nothing. On my PCs, I can do this task immediately.

Photoshop: Seems to work more smoothly on mac (it's designed on mac, go figure) but takes much more of the system resources to do so. I commonly make my own HDR environment spheres in photoshop, and I use 10 to 20 images per HDR. My PC running CS2 can do the automated process without much problem, and it usually takes less than 5min to do so. The Macs using CS4 take about 10-15min. Granted I've tweeked my PC to use my 1TB secondary as the scratch disk, but even before installing that it wasn't much worse.

Web Design: NO STRAIGHT TEXT EDITOR?????? REALLY??????
    I hand code my xhtml in a text editor with html output. text to code, couldn't be simpler. Can't do that on a mac. the simple text program won't output file text to html code. It just makes an HTML page with my code in a <p> tag... I have to use Dreamweaver to code on the Macs.

I'm sure someone who owns a mac could tell me how I'm wrong and that _____ program will do what I want. And that's fine. It would make my life easier if I could actually do a lot of the things I need to more fluidly.

Here is a question, are macs prone to overheating? The machines we have in the lab only have a 1/2inch by 20ish inch opening for cooling. They are constantly hot. I'm waiting for the day I head for classes and see smoke coming from our building. I have 3 large fans in my desktop with full openings and I still fear it being a bit warm.

At the end of my TL;DR, I'll just say that Mac's are a little to high priced and underpowered for me at actually doing graphics heavy work on a regular basis, and are a little less organized.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Cody, I think it's interesting you mention all of that, especially since Apple runs their ads specifically targeting the image of the user and the system in general based from that holdover from the graphic design perpetual usage. Waaaay back in the day of graphic design being done before computers, designers wanted quicker ways to do things. Along came Apple with their brand new computers and their Mac OS. Windows and PCs came later, and you had a lot of graphic designers already using Macs and accustomed to the Mac OS. Many of those oldschool guys cried "knockoff" to the Windows OS, and continued to perpetuate the idea that only "real" designers used Macs. That continues until this day, even though much of that kind of argument and thinking is moot.

I'm sure most of you designers who have had any kind of formal training already know this (and can probably add more/refine, etc. what I've said), or perhaps you didn't. At either rate, I've always found it very useful to know how to use each, since they both have their quirks when used. :) 

15. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

ya. That's the thinking behind most of the people in my art department. The whole reason we have a Mac lab is because of that stereotype. This whole campaign they have now just enforces the elitism they survive off of.

It's also kinda funny how most design people supported Amiga during the early 90s but that never gets mentioned. lol. Don't get me wrong though, they work great. I'm not sure if they really do the work all that much better than PC.

If mac would get their core hardware up to competitive standards for their price range they might actually be the better computer. Right now, I know that if my video card burns out, I can run downtown and get a newer, better version installed and ready in a couple of hours. If I had a mac, I'd have to find a mac store(for me that's several hours away), deal with a "genius" in order to get my part, and end up paying more for the privilege. Is the lack of mac hardware stock in other stores Apple's fault? Not really. It's just like their whole selling point of virus protection. If only 1% of computers out there are Macs, why would you make a virus/ stock components for it? That sort of crunch time availability is a bit of a plus for PC to someone who will probably end up relying on their home computer as much as work.

On the plus side though, I have to fight the urge to swipe one of the wafer thin aluminum keyboards from our Macs! So much want...

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I still have my Amiga 4000/060. I learned Lightwave on it. And how to use a WIMPS operating system.