What classifies targetmasters?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by masishadow, Jun 16, 2011.

1. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know that there are Transformers that are part of the targetmaster/double-targetmaster time in the original transformers cartoon. Do recent(er) characters that have minicons that turn into weapons like...Classics Heavy Load, Vector Prime/Alpha Trion, get classified in a targetmaster sense or since their partners are not Nebulons, are they just minicon partners?

Also, what are some more non g1 examples or this kind of character?

I have all the power core ones, all Cyclonus molds, the 3 vector primes, Heavy Load/ Quickmix, pre-ordered United Stepper/Ricochet, FP Blesser/Sidearm, working on United Targetmasters. I'm sure there's more I've missed through the A/E/C Universe.

Anyone know more off the top of their head?

2. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    im not totally clear on what you are asking, but ill try my best.

as i understand it, Targetmasters are strictly from the G1 continuity and are humanoid aliens in transforming suits that turn into guns usually. Minicons arent Targetmasters, but are little robots, some of them transforming into guns. people including myself usually just throw this difference out the window when it comes to their collections.

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I would call Minicons the ones from Armada. Everything else are Targetmasters to me.

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I wouldn't consider minicons target masters. Technically they don;t really team up and any minicon can go with any Bot.

I view Target Masters as transforming guns (with fleshlings inside) that have a special team up with a specific bot. The only Target Masters I know are in G1 season 4 so far. No new ones yet

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd classify any smaller robot that makes a weapon for a larger robot. This includes G1 Target masters as well as the minicons that turn into guns/axes/missle holders. It seams that in recent years, most smaller robots that go with larger ones get called minicons. I seem to remember Soundwave's cassette's being called mini-cons now.

6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I think Dreamwave canonized the Action-Master-partner characters as "targetmasters" in one of their profile books, muddying the waters, but these dayes hasbro pretty much considers ALLLLLLL widdle-robot-buddies (Including what we thik of as TM's, HM's, Cassettes, etc.) to be "Minicons."

The term may have a bit of bad Armada-taste for you (I liked Armada fine, and enjoyed the Microns, as I think of them), but that sems to be Hasbro's stance these days.

However, and this is a secret not many people seem to know, YOU can call any toy you want a 'targetmaster' and Hasbro will still sell you new toys :) 

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    To me Targetmasters, Headmasters and Powermasters were always smaller robots, because I had the toys before the cartoon aired here and I like that idea better than the canon.

8. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Targetmasters are a sub-group just like Dinobots, Monsterbots, Triggercons etc. The term Targetmasters/Headmaster and Powermaster refers to both robots being 1 not 1 robot that happens to hang out with another bot and becomes his gun, head or engine.

They are just different because each faction has a sub-group just like they each have Headmasters and Powermasters.

For me Targetmasters are these bots.

Autobots- Pointblank, Crosshairs, Sureshot, Kup, Hot Rod, Blurr, Scoop, Landfill, Quickmix.

Decepticons- Misfire, Triggerhappy, Slugslinger, Cyclonus, Scourge, Quake, Needlenose and Spinister.

You could technically add the Japanese bots in there like Artfire but I admit I do not know alot of them very well. Minicons are NOT targetmasters imo.

9. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Well that idea IS canon in Japan, so you're good. :)  (and before anyone jumps down my throat about the Goadmaster,s Devil-Z made Hydra and Buster INTO robots, so there is J-canon for Robot-God-Masters :p )

My Fanon-Universe is 90% non-squishie Masters.

D/L

10. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me a robot that becomes a gun for a larger robot is a target master, even if they are primarily a Minicon or whatever, you could still call them a Targetmaster. Not all labels are absolute or mutually exclusive. You could call me a husband or a TF Collector, both are applicable and one doesn't exclude the other.

11. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

If it says "Targetmaster" on the box

12. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    I guess OP-man should clarify, what standard do you want to judge by?

What canon says.
    What a specific canon says.
    What Hasbro Authorial intent says.
    What the fandom largely accepts.
    What individual posters believe.

Each is pretty much a different answer...

D/L

13. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Armada Mini-Con Prowl has a nice gun mode. Leader-1 can also be used as a gun.

14. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was going by canon, and that was pretty well answered in the thread. I didn't know anything about g1 targetmasters and didn't know if the term was mutually exclusive to those in g1 who took Nebulon partners, or if the term could be applied to Armada and up even though they were called Minicons.

Even though I got my answer...minicon -> gun = Targetmaster for me.

And i was just trying to find more gun-mode Minicons. Since I came into the A/E/C late in C and didn't want to sift through the multitude of minicons to find more guns.

15. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say that's a good way to go. If you're into characters that turn into guns, then consider them all Targetmasters. I'd say at the very least they're come sort of Targetmaster homage. Minicon "Targetmaster" have the extra cool point of being Triplechangers!

Don't forget Armada Deluxe Prime...and to a lesser extent his countless repaints. The figure itself was so cool, I always forget he even had a minicon.

16. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

I use Scourge as a Targemaster I didn't want multiple Cycloni(Cyclonuses?), so I re-purposed a Nightstick into Fracas.

17. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Well glad that we helped, even if only haphazardly.

If you're looking to add MOAR Targetmasters to your collections, I would strongly recommend you check out this link:

Never Growing Up by Drawn-Steel Hero on Shapeways

You need to be a little crafty, and for "minicons" they're a *little* pricey, but ABSOLUTELY the best Targetmaster style figures around!

[​IMG]

18. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Again, the Targetmaster is the robot + the weapon not the weapon. Actually if you want to be correct it is actually the main robot not the robot that turns into the gun but over the years it has come to be known as both of them. Targetmasters as far as I am concerned are exclusive to G1. I can't think of another sub-group in another version of Transformers that has Targetmaster as a sub-group. Minicons are not Targetmasters, that is for sure they are Minicons.

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ouch...didn't know the set was getting towards $200...think i might have to slowly pick some of them up lol

20. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

If a MiniCon has a gun mode, it's as good as a Targetmaster to me.