what class of collector are you? how long have you collected, How did you start?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Backstop, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    I am curious about what class you guys feel you are as collectors? And why you feel your this status. Please explain

What class collector you think you are?

How long have you been collecting?

When did you start/restart?

And anything else you want to add to let us know how you got into things :thumb 

I played with TFS as a kid but I myself re-started collecting again in the early to mid 90's by buying the odd G2 toy, were after I started going to garage sales,toy shows ect.... I then started doing trades and buys through the Transmasters fan club by mail before the web. And even would buy through stores posted in Lees Action figure news lol...

Now I must say along the way I have learned a lot and I know a fair amount about G1 to G2 TFS from North America and all over the world. As these are the years I am into. So I consider myself a kind of hardcore G1 and G2 guy as in all these years I have put together a good size collection from all over the world. So by doing this I think I put in my dues as well for this status.

2. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

What exactly is a 'class of collector?'

What makes a person a higher class of collector? The more units they collect, the higher priced items they collect?

I'm just a collector ;-)

I started collecting with RID, but now I just collect G1 stuff. I grew up with G1 so I am attached to it. The newer stuff doesn't do it for me.

3. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a transformers collector.

4. Backstop

News Credits:
    What I am getting at is do you think your a hardcore collector, or maybe a fan that collects the odd thing you like or whatever? Just asking what different people consider they are.

5. Backstop

News Credits:
    great to know, As I am sure megatron kicks ass too

6. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    I've been collecting for almost 2 years. Started about when the movie figures were first released.

I don't own any figures higher than the Voyager class.

(Except 25th Ann. Prime he was listed as an Ultra.)

I'm not a one of those collectors that have to have every figure from a certain line, I buy the ones I like.

So I guess I would be considered a casual collector.

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I mainly collect loose G1,G2,most japan transformers and Universe.
    (I dont think i'll ever go the mosc/misb way cause i like handling them)

With some animated and beast wars thrown in.

I started when i was like 10 in the mid 80's and stopped for a long time until a few years ago when classics brought me back.

8. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Meh, I'll kick off this little soire. I had maybe 10-12 G1 toys as a kid. Most of those survived to live on my shelves today. I didn't start collecting until Beast Machines came out. I purchased several of the toys, and my then-girlfriend/now-wife bought me several as gifts. We were married and finances were tight, so my toy collection stagnated for a bit. I remember the first toy I purchased after a long hiaitus, it was Cybertron Megatron which I found on clearance at W*M for $5!!! I also picked up Cybertron Mixmaster for $3 that day. Things got better financially and I snagged every Movie toy that I saw in stores, then began collecting "old" toys that I liked.

That's my story. I now collect things that I like only. I'm not a completist by any means(Animated I'm nearly a completist). I have all but a few of the Cybertron(one of my favorite lines) toys that I "need." I only have a few Armada and very few Energon toys. I have, as mentioned above, nearly all of the Movie line. I recently began purchasing some RiD toys, and they're very neat. Beast Machines, I only lack a few figures to meet my needs. Yada yada.

I consider myself fairly hardcore, growing my collection from basically 20-ish toys in early '07 to somewhere over 600 to date. This of course excludes G.I. Joe, Star Wars, Ben10, Bionicle, other Lego and other lines that I enjoy.

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'm in a class of my own. Like the kid who still can't work out "2+2" after three years.

10. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got my first TF last year.

Movie Landmine followed by 2008 bumblebee/Barricade then animated Jazz then the Animated Prime/Megatron 2 pack.

next on my list are the jet twins.

11. Backstop

News Credits:
    Great reply :D 

Cool, As im sure Classics sucked many back into the game lol..

great reply, and keep the collection going as that many bots in that little time is champ :thumb 

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I would call myself a periodic hardcore collector. Basically I go through phases where I buy a bunch of stuff, but as it starts to collect dust I get bored with it and sell most of them. People get different kinds of pleasure from toy collecting. Some people like to have rooms full of shelves stuffed with toys. I don't. I like opening them up and fiddling with something new. With a few exceptions once the newness wears off I don't want to keep it anymore. I have a strong distaste for clutter and hundreds of toys on shelves makes me physically uncomfortable. As a result I have owned at one time on another hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of different Transformers. It's probably pushing 1000 actually. I had at one time or another most of G1, Beast Wars, RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Titanium, Alternators, Takara reissues, Hasbro reissues, Robot Heroes, Masterpiece, SCF PVCs, Classics, and who knows what else. However, with the exception of the period of time in 2002/2003 when I had most of G1 and Armada on shelves in my bedroom, I've never had more than 30-40 individual toys in my house all at the same time. A couple of times I've gotten disturbed even by that and cut back even more. Throughout 2007 and most of 2008, I owned 3 figures and only bought one (US MP Starscream). I'm sort of in a back-in phase right now, lured by Animated being awesome and the G1 stuff they're doing in Universe. Also the crazy cheap deals around Christmas.

For a kid I was very serious about Transformers in the 80's. They were all I wanted. Christmas, birthdays, visits from grandma, allowance money, lawnmowing money...you name it, the only thing I wanted or got was Transformers. As a result I ended up with probably 80% of G1, with almost all of that 20% coming in the last couple of years after I'd outgrown it (ha!). So as a kid I got out around 1989. I did buy a G2 Sideswipe, read a bunch of stuff on the internet when I went to college in 1996, watched the end of Beast Wars and early parts of Beast Machines but never bought any toys. I started actively collecting again during RID. I have taken months at a time and in one case a couple of years off since then, but always end up coming back.

Fortunately for me toys are not expensive, and have good resell value. When taking into account all the stuff that accelerates in value, I doubt I've taken much if any of a loss. Actually I'm sure I haven't, as most of my G1 collection was from childhood and thus bought at retail prices, eventually sold for crazy ebay prices.

13. Backstop

News Credits:
    awsome reply, as your situations is very different. You are kind of like a smoker that stops and starts lol..

14. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm not sure what class of collector I am. I just buy what I like. Anyways, I played with BW toys as a kid, then forgot about TF until the movie came out. I bought a movie Bumblebee and was hooked. I mostly focus on Animated and Universe.

15. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm a four figure collector. Probably going to seriously ratchet down on the buying soon and just collect G1, reissues and homage toys. Not interested in the movie line. Plus, I'm running out of basement.

16. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    What class collector you think you are?

I truly love the franchise. I find it hard to dislike anything passed off as Transformers. All over it. I open all my toys, and for the most part display them in shelves. I'm a fan of Decepticons. I don't have two releases of the same mold at all yet, not even Seekers.

How long have you been collecting?

I've been an avid collector for about only three years now.

When did you start/restart?

It was actually Cybertron that got me engrossed in the line as I am today. And with the movie coming out, well, I wasn't going anywhere.

I put a lot into this hobby, and I think it pays back very well. :) 

17. Backstop

News Credits:
    You are a collector in training lol... just keep it going :thumb 

Look dude, being a four figure collector is awsome! so keep going as who cares you running out of basement space, What you cant used the kitchen,bathroon??? lol....

That great, it sounds like you not only love the toys but everything that is Transformers, you get the Backstop :thumb 

18. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Kitchen? My wife needs that space to cook for me!

19. Backstop

News Credits:
    screw cooking? get take out :lol 

20. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Already have him. :lol