What changes would GEEWUNners accept?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Silver Bullit, May 17, 2006.

1. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

Now, don't get all offended either. I consider myself a GEEWUN.

But I am curious about what changes you would be willing to accept to the classic G1 characters.

Me personally: revised alt modes. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Ironhide went from being a Toyota van to an H1 or H2 Hummer.

SB

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

I dont consider myself a purist but i would be against any and all changes that give car and light truck autobots smaller altmodes. Technically cargo van is a bigger class of light truck than an h1s is so an h1 ironhide really doesnt work for me. If anything the autobots need an upsizing and less size fudging.

3. butz

butz slippery when wet

Are you talking about the movie? The Classics line? Alternators?
    I'll give an answer for each, just in case. Personally, I consider myself a huge G1 fan.

The movie: So long as its a good movie, and I can recognize it as being "Transformers", I'll be pretty happy. I wouldn't be upset if, for example, they were to leave out Starscream, or even went so far as to invent an entire new cast of TFs for it. Beast Wars pretty much did that, and I thought it was great.

Classics line: Updated alt. modes are inevitable, and fine by me, so long as it bares a decent amount of similarity to the character its suposed to be an update of (similar types of alt modes, simlar colors, heads, etc.) So far, I absolutely love everything we've seen of this line, so you can probably see about how much change I'm up for.

Alternators: A lot of people wouldn't really consider it to be G1, but for the sake of this thread, lets at least assume its a continuation or something. I was hoping this line would've been what the Classics line is going to be- its not, and I've been losing interest in it for other reasons anyways, so I don't really care. When I was into it, it was close enough to make me happy, but I got tired of everybody being a car.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I really don't mind updates at all...I'm absolutely loving what I see of the Classics line so far. I really don't understand why people get uptight about updates...G1 will always be my favorite, but I have the ability to recognize the homages in the newer lines are not intended to be the same character, just nods to the fans.

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Everytime I see that phrase, I want to bludgeon some one with my Powermaster Prime. It gets misused, way too much.

Ironhide really does need a decent alt mode. Personally, I'd make him a dually conversion van. A Hummer wouldn't be bad, but I think he'd be treading on Trailbreaker, and Hound's turf.

I will reffer to any TF that turns into an H2 as Wheelie. That vehicle is a parody of itself, with little more off road capability than the average family sedan. (the average road car can go off road)

6. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

Honestly for me all that really matters is if they are suposed to be G1 characters they act the same and have simular head designs. I don't mind updates to the alt mode since it makes since for them to change that from time to time.

7. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

Id agree with eradicator. So long as the characters themselves don't change too much, they can update and change alt modes as much as they like within reason. For instance, Bumblebee could be pretty much any small car so long as he was yellow, but turning him into a semi might be taking the mick a bit.

8. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as Megatron is silver and has a BFG on his arm, I'm happy.

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I mostly concur, but I consider BT/ALT/BT-As part of G1 especially when ehanced with Reprolabels. As long as the Movie doesn't make a mockery of the Transformers I'll be having fun. So much more the better if it's a good movie too.

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

I've been happy with the homages they've been giving us already. The Armada Seekers kinda rock even if they are bricks.

Every Optimus I don't consider worthy of the name I just rename (series) Prime.

Seriously: Armada Prime, Galaxy Prime, Black Optimus (RiD Scourge) also known as "Black Ops". Are these not badass names?

Still my holy grail if you will is still the original 1984 line up using newer charicaters.

So far:

Bluestreak - RiD Speedbreaker
    Brawn - RiD Heavy Load
    Bumblebee - no worthy successor
    Buzzsaw - Energon Divebomb

Cliffjumper - no worthy successor

Frenzy - GF Ransack

Gears - no worthy successor

Hound - Alt Hound
    Huffer - RiD Wedge

Ironhide - RiD Hightower (for now)

Jazz - Armada Blurr

Laserbeak - no worthy successor

Megatron - no worthy successor (but for now I like using Armada Demolisher)
    Mirage - waiting on Alt Mirage

Optimus Prime - 20th Aniversary

Prowl - RiD Prowl

Ratchet - Armada Red Alert
    Ravage - no worthy successor
    Rumble - G2 Jolt

Sideswipe - Alt Sideswipe
    Skywarp - Armada Skywarp
    Soundwave - no worthy successor
    Starscream - Armada Starscream
    King Starscreem - Cyberton Starscream
    Sunstreaker - Alt. Sunstreaker

Thundercracker - Armada Thundercracker
    "reformed" Autobot Thundercracker - Vehicon Jetstorm
    Trailbreaker - no worthy successor (waiting on repaint of Alt. Prime)

Wheeljack - RiD Super X-Brawn
    Windcharger - Alt Windcharger

11. Backscatter

News Credits:
    Infosaur, that is one very cool Holy Grail. I hope you find worthy successors for all. I still see the ALTs though as being the same character, but that doesn't mess up your Grail. ;-)

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Silver Bullit, if you're willing to accept any change, then by definition you're not a GeeWunner.

GeeWunner pretty much applies only to those fans who just can't seem to get their heads out of the 80's, nor ditch the rose tinted glasses. Nothing that isn't exactly like the original is good enough for them, and more often or not, they certainly like to make themselves heard on the matter.

If the smallest detail gets changed, you can be sure that those guys'll start frothing at the mouth.

13. Backscatter

News Credits:
    I beg to differ. I am G1 to the core, but I'm open-minded about it. If the Transformers awoke today for the first time, it would be different than when they awoke in 1984. If you know anything about timeline fiction, even a butterfly can change history. Plus, the movie would be dullsville if NOTHING was changed, and nobody but hard-core G1 Fans (like myself) would bother to go see it, making it the biggest movie flop in history.

Transformers, by their very nature, transform to survive. How could a Transformers Movie in 2007 be any different?

14. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As pointed out, since you're not being specific as to what you're asking about, I'll just say that the term "GEEWUN" written as such is incredibly annoying.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Totally agree 100%. Good to know the 'Geewunner' term gets on others' nerves besides mine. Honestly I think there are more G1 fans out there that are open to change rather than the handful of people throwing a shitfit because Megatron won't be a gun in the movie. I don't mean to start any sort of confrontation, but I've seen far more people who bitch about the fact no series before or since has been as great as Beast Wars and that verbally attack anyone who prefers vehicle TFs to Beast TFs throwing around the 'Geewunner' crap...BW was very well written but it's in the past, just like G1 is. It's all based on preference anyway

16. SFGMaster

SFGMaster Owns a Juvisy

In other words, you're a G1 fan, *not* a "GEEWUNer." The latter term was *coined* to be a derogatory slang for the "G1-rulz-new-stuff-sux" fanatic. Not all (or most) G1 fans are "GEEWUNers". That is what mx-01archon was getting at.

If you like the short phrase, I'd suggest saying "G1'er" to avoid the negative connotations of the "GEEWUN" spelling. It's one less character long anyway.

17. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

You hit the nail mx-01

That's exactly the definition of a "Geewunner" as I've understood it.Geewunners are the ones who started that "Truk not munky" nonsense of the early millenium.Geewunners aren't that open minded while G1 FANS prefer G1 but still enjoy the other fruits of the TF brand.

Murphy's board IMPO is too full of them(Geewunners) for my tastes.

I'd like to think that G1 fans in general have a bit more taste then that.I'm a G1 fan and I KNOW I wouldn't go see the movie if it's just a rehash.Because it takes more then nostalgia to hold my interests

As to the thread topic,I doubt that the average Geewunner would accept any change.The very definition of the term is that they want a TF series to be like it was in 1984-1987

18. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    GEEWUNers would accept Megatron upsized for a full-grown man's hand. And made into a working semi-automatic pistol.

19. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

First of all, I think we need to establish the difference between GEEWUNNERZ and G1 fans. GEEWUNNERZ in the strictest sense of the term, probably wouldnt accept anything but a complete live-action retelling of MTMTE parts 1-3. G1 fans, however, realize that quite some time has passed since then and, although G1 is the basic foundation for everything TF, the new movie needs to reflect the advancement of the medium.

20. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Can you really be a fan of transformers, and not a fan of Gen 1?

I am a fan of all transformers, so it doesn't matter to me, but for the gen1 fanatics, what is it about it that you like about it.
    Is it the toys- IMO not any better than the current crop
    Is it the show? I loved it, but looking back, some eps were ridiculous.
    Is it the comics? Stories were enjoyable, but contradicted a lot of the show.

Was is the characters? It was for me, but it doesn't mean that the characters cannot change.

Someone on an earlier post said that Ironhide, should be a van. Should he also be a glorified rocket sled for a micro man too? Complete with sticker for a head?
    They need to update the characters to make sense in the current age, for the movie and the neo figs.