What causes the yellowing of TFers and how can I avoid it

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Is there other factors besides sunlight that yellow TFers? I keep them out of the sun but I feel like I am seeing yellowing. Maybe I am crazy, or maybe it was always there and I didn't look close enough or wasn't as anal at the time I got em.

But, if I could avoid yellowing it would be great. So besides sunlight, what are other factors that I can control.

2. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't put United Jazz next to Classics Jetfire. The damage to your 'can't unsee' gland is irreparable.

3. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    At this point, I'm not really sure its avoidable at all.

In a couple of years, all of those SG G1 Soundwaves from FP will be a yellow mess.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

[Talking about the United Jazz/Classics Jetfire comment] Meh. I think part of that is that Hasbro uses a different white than TakaraTomy does. I noticed Hasbro likes to add a tinge of red to their white, giving it a warm tone, whereas TakaraTomy adds a slight blue tinge for a cooler look.

Sunlight naturally affects ABS plactic though. I'd imagine that while direct sunlight is obviously more apparent and quicker to notice, ambient light will eventually take its toll- yellowing at a much slower, steadier rate.

There really isn't anything you can do about it as sunlight damage is a natural property of ABS plastic. You won't stop it, you can only slow it down.

5. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    LOL, that is when I first saw it. When I was doing my comparison shots of Classics/Alt/G1 of Jazz. I was like, did this fucking yellow? WTF? How, what?

6. Phantom6

Phantom6 Well-Known Member

You want to prevent it? Never open your figures and put them into sealed boxes at the back of your closet.

You want to reverse it?

Good luck, nothing I've seen has worked without causing damage.

You want to slow it as much as possible?

It's all about the light. Sunlight is a cruel *****, keep your figures away from sunlight as much as possible.

Normal bulbs are bad too, they don't provide a clean light making it hard to gauge the damage until it's too late.

I like CFL bulbs. Bright white light, low heat.

Also, keep the figures CLEAN. Dust is around 90% human skin and as that sits and rots it stains.

7. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

What do u guys do for dust do you guys follow a monthly schedule for dusting?

8. Phantom6

Phantom6 Well-Known Member

I dust in the middle and at the end of each month. I also convert/transform my figures every other month.

Keeps the display fresh as well as my memory on how to transform the bloody things.

9. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Isn't it the UV rays that affect the plastic? I think I've heard fluorescent light is bad for your figs. I just try to avoid any prolonged exposure to light.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Natural instabilities in the plastic polymer and/or reactions with light, oxygen, and other organic compounds. Some plastics, you could prevent it from letting them never ever ever be exposed to any light ever. Some plastics, you could prevent it from keeping them in a perfect vaccuum. Some plastics, well, it's just a matter of time.

In general? Don't smoke, keep them out of sunlight (or behind UV polarizing glass), and in a cool, dry place.

11. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    I feel better knowing I'm not the only one concerned with this. I keep my Transformers away from smoke and sunlight and I still worry that it's going to happen. I even tried to avoid buying Transformers made from white plastic for a while. But then they go and release guys like Wheeljack and Jazz and Prime Ratchet and I just can't resist. I've actually bought extras of some guys to keep in package just in case the yellow curse does return.

12. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Depends on the plastic.

On a vaguely related note, i was clearing my future Toy Room out and we found an old light & sound thingy we used to have on my son's cot a few years ago. It is made of a very similar hard, decent quality hard glossy plastic (whatever that one is called) to TFs, and was in direct-ish sunlight for 2 years and never showed any sign of yellowing. Then we packed it away in a box.

It was stored in a box for another 2 years, and upon being taken out we discovered it was a deep shade of tan-brown all down the side that was in the sunlight, but the other side was fine. Apparently sun-damage can occur without yellowing the plastic.

13. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a small collection of old keyboards and synths. The white keys are known to turn yellow sometimes. The keyboards kept near smoke always have the worse case. The ones kept inside do better, and the really good ones have been kept inside under a fabric dust cover.

I came across this page trying to find a way to fix it.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

It has some info about plastic, what causes the yellowing, and how to "reverse" it.

Merlin's Original Recipe from that page works really well to fix synth keys. I also used it to fix some of my Metroplex accessories while I was at it. I wouldn't suggest it on any painted plastic or parts with metal attached, though.

A lot of people do complain that the yellowing returns. I think it is because the plastic is porous to begin with, and using peroxide makes the pours bigger. Some suggestions I have seen is using peroxide to return the plastic to it's original white, then painting it with some sort of clear sealant... Not the ideal option for a Transformer.

14. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Actually - on the subject of my shitty yellowing luck, i have a original ATST that has suffered the most chronic yellowing i've ever seen - the surface of the plastic has become brittle, brown and slightly crumbly. the 'core' of the plastic is still flexible but the surface has gone all biscuit-y.

not really any help to anybody, beyond mentioning that old starwars toys can apparently become irreparably f*cked by sunlight.

15. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have used the peroxide method. with just the 3% stuff... it really works.. I did this a little over a year ago, and no yellowing has returned. I think i'm ready to try it out on some larger pieces. I think it should be said that the whole part does not have to be submerged, just part of it. I did Jazz's spoiler with the stickers on it and it worked, however I do not recommend leaving the stickers on. the paint on the stickers will rub off instantly when touched. I was careful and it worked. My jazz was my junker, so I wasn't worried...

I used it on skywarps fists too, the result wasn't as impressive but you really have to look to see any remaining yellowing...

16. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Acid in plastic can discolour things so if you were to put them in plastic bags the acid in the bag might make them go green or grey.

I've even heard some say wooden shelves of some kinds and even paper can discolour plastic too.

If you have glass fronted cabinates you can get UV protective film to stop the light damage and diminish the effect of direct sunlight - another caution is that some strip light chuck out lots of bad light too.. so if you have lights in your display then need to be special UV filtered bulbs to prevent damage to the toys.

I just dug out my old Thunderbird 3 where it had been "near" some closed curtains and even defuse light had damaged the grey parts on the sun facing side - oddly TB1 hasn't got a mark on it - It's only one part though so it's probably easier to keep a look out for a junker to swap it's collar part that has faded/ gone brown.

Oh and Future floor polish (or similar) might act as a sealer - perhaps spraying a very thing coat on would work best a thick coat might look over glossy and fake..

17. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    UV Light.

Hydrogen peroxide can bleach some of it out. Not sure what if anything that does to the integrity of the plastic.

18. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't know that about plastic bags.

I have some old stuff stored plastic tote bins. I wonder if those have any acid in them, and are making things worse. Some of my stuff has definitely gotten worse since it has been sitting in there.

The world's just not a safe place for Transformers anymore. :( 

19. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

Who's had yellowing on a white toy that's newer and not from the 80s?

20. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have one of those wind-up clone troopers from Burger King (I think) it got super yellow.