Customs: What can you tell me about Roadbots?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I have my eye on a few 1:32 scale sets, but I'm wondering how well they line up with deluxe TF cars from the Universe line. I read that the quality is pretty good. How's the articulation, etc.? I may end up buying a few for my Puzzler gestalt depending on the feedback.

2. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    hmmm....roadbots you say?

I've heard both ends of the spectrum actually. Some are really good, though some think that the translucent plastic is quite brittle.

I've also been told that a few of them are parts formers as well.

I've not bought any myself, but, would be curious as to what people say.....

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm not bothered by the partsforming aspect as it makes it easier for me to take the figures apart and re-arrange them for customs.

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    The articulation is crap from what I've seen. Other than that, they look cool and could be used for customs and/or reshell projects.

5. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

they come with some pretty cool guns sometimes. from the few i bought, a couple of deluxe sized cars and 1 big hummer, the articulation and plastic quality isnt very good

6. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got the mitsu lancers, and my god were they crap
    1/12 was solid, but felt like KO
    other two were crap, one had two right arms, and the windscreen fell off both of them
    id seriously avoid them

7. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I got 4 or 5 of the 1/32 ones way back when. The rubber tires are nice, the plastic is good (doesn't look or feel cheap), and the alt modes look great.

The downside is that the robot modes look like total shit. The heads look like what you would expect to see on a Dollar Store robot, the proportions are horrible, and the articulation is pretty poor on most of them. You'd think with all the parts forming they allow themselves they could manage less shitty looking robot modes.

Kitbash-wise, I'd say the only thing they really have to offer are chrome wheels/rubber tires that you could swap onto an actual Universe/Classics toy.

8. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

I own a few of these Roadbots in all the different scale sizes. All the ones I have are part-formers with the extra kibble turning into some form of gun or sword. The quality of the plastic is better then KO's. It's actually kind of sturdy.

The alt modes are awesome, they look pretty accurate to the vehicles. The robot mode however leaves a lot to be desired. Most of the robot designs are terrible. What bothers me the most are the head sculpts. Some of the worst designs I've ever seen.

To be honest, I've regretted purchasing these things. I've always had hoped that they would be cool but this is rarely the case.