What Autobot is most likely to switch sides?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jamz, Jan 23, 2007.

1. jamz

jamz Repaint! Repaint! Repaint TFW2005 Supporter

On Thundercracker’s original tech spec it clearly states that he is not convinced of the Decepticon cause, but is only fighting with them “for now.” This was overlooked on the TV show and in the Comics. I’ve often wondered who on the Autobots could have just as easily turned over to the Decepticons.

In the TV show they explored this a few times, most notably with the Arialbots and Mirage. They both held Decepticon potential, but neither of them were really ready to become Decepticons.

Let’s open it up to every generation just to be inclusive.

What do you think? Who got voted most likely to become a Decepticon in their Autobot yearbook?

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Punch / Counter-Punch.

:)  :p 

3. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

to the decepticons:
    mirage
    grimlock ( already has)

to the autobots:
    octane
    thundercracker
    blitzwing

4. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Tracks or Sunstreaker because both of them are vain. I can see a scenario where they would switch sides because they're tired of getting hurt defending humans who usually are not grateful.

5. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mirage.

Double dealer works both sides and in masterforce did alot of damage to the autobots.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, I'd say Sunstreaker, Mirage, or Grimlock are the most obvious choices.

I dunno, though..... I never quite trusted that Hot Rod fella.... ;) 

7. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Cybertron Sideways!

8. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Autobot Brewmeister

I could see RiD Ultra Magnus not so much switching sides as starting his own, third faction. Autobots and Decepticons be damned.

To that end, what real loyalty do Wreck-Gar and the rest of the Junkions have toward the Autobots?

9. optimus_prime_rules_007

optimus_prime_rules_007 Banned

Grimlock is a definite NO, he's more loyal than most Autobots, that garbage in the comics about him switch sides made no sense at all. Same with that stupid episode where Megatron conned him into it as well.

Mirage, again, another no. Mirage may not want to be an Autobot very much, but he's not cruel and evil like the Decepticons either. He's more concerned with being solo I would say.

The most likely Autobot would be Punch/Counterpunch. His tech specs and the comics talked about how he finds it difficult to remember which side he's truly on.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Mirage. His tech-spec said he was not to be trusted. He's an aristocrat, an elitist. The Autobots are rabble, and he feels no real kinship with them, while the Decepticons have that military elitism thing going. If he felt that he would be treated with more deference, and if he figured the Cons were going to win out in the end, I think he'd consider switching. He seems like the kind of guy who would rather keep his affluent lifestyle, if he can help it.

Not very heroic... Mirage on the TV show gets his uncertainty out of his system in in the first miniseries (MTMTE).

I don't think Grimlock would really switch... I think he would seize leadership of the Autobots by force, and maybe lead them down a different path (enough with protecting the weak! The weak deserve what they get!), but I think he has too much resentment for the Cons to actually change allegiance. However, maybe I could see him TAKING leadership of the Cons for himself. :) 

Slag and Snarl might switch, if Grimlock wasn't keeping them in line. Neither of them would be comfortable with the peace the Autobots fight for. With the Cons, they would be forever fighting a galactic war of conquest... so they would be happy with that. Especially Slag. If you read his Spec, you realise he's as bad as most Cons, worse than many.

Tracks is vain, but I don't think he has it in him. Sunstreaker on the other hand... if something ever happened to Sideswipe, especially if he blamed Optimus or humans, he'd turn in an instant. He's cold and too self interested. I could see it.

Slingshot maybe... if he felt like he'd get more respect from the Cons. Unlikely he would though.

As for cons... I dunno. Aside from the fact that it happened in an episode of the 3rd season, I really don't see anything in Blitzwing to indicate that he might switch over. He's a vicious bastard, as bad as any Con. I don't buy that he has a secret soft side. :) 

zmog

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'd say Slag, as the potential to wreak havoc is far greater among the Decepticons.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd say Punch / Counterpunch, he's already teetering on the edge trying to keep his two personalities separate.

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Bumblebee... that sneaky little bastard.

14. jamz

jamz Repaint! Repaint! Repaint TFW2005 Supporter

I'm going to go a little more obscure on ya...

Whirl is my main candidate for a Decepticon spy among the Autobots. A wild man in battle but keeps a low profile. Never even made it into the tv show or Comics. We've have been told it was about licensing but maybe the "Hasbro" were trying to keep his true personality from us.

Looking at the post movie period what the heck were the technobots doing on the Autobots? Afterburner, Nosecone, Strafe, Scattershot (not so much Lightspeed) are all basically bullies.

From BW/BM, did anyone really trust Rhinox? He always knew where the Preds were and what they were up to. And didn't he have some sort of flatulence issue? Predicon all the way.

I think Mirage was Autobot all the way. All this talk about his loyalty was started by Cliffjumper because the femmbots were all into Mr. Invisibility (over Mr. Glass Gass gun). Mirage was a chick magnet. Cliffjumper... not so much.

15. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    From G1, I'll join the Punch/Counterpunch group. He's got MPD already, one more traumatic event and he could flip easily. Mirage, maybe, but it would take more of an effort, given his aristocratic tendencies.

From BW/BM, I'd say Waspinator. Judging from his 10th Anniversary Specs, he's already tried of following Megs and getting blown up all the time for it. Talk about a disgruntled employee....

From RID, Ultra Magnus could be a contender, only to spite Optimus.

Can't really think of anyone from A/E/C who would flip, really.

16. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Sunstreaker is the first one that comes to mind. If I remember right, the extended version of his profile even says that he's not a Decepticon because purple isn't his color. He's already described as having sociopathic tendencies.

I'm still convinced that Perceptor was already working for the Cons, in the movie.

17. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I can't see any Autobot switching to the Decepticons or vice versa. But I could definitely see characters like Jetfire, Mirage, Sunstreaker, Blitzwing, The Stunticons, Shockwave, The Combaticons, The Aerialbots, Sky Lynx, Springer & Omega Supreme leaving their respective factions to do their own thing, whether it be as free agents who fight for what they deem important or just to follow their own agenda.

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My first thought exactly!

19. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

SUNSTREAKER could pull of a coe I think.

20. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    The storyline may have been garbage but it is canon, which means Grimlock has switched sides for a bit before coming back to being an Autobot. It was also alluded to that he was a former Decepticon in War Within and appeared to have been pummelled by Megatron.

Jetfire also appeared to have similar Decepticon idealogies before becoming an Autobot hence why he's mistrusted by the Autobots in War Within. In modern comic time, I don't think becoming a Decepticon would cross his mind.

I could also see Sunstreaker switching sides if something happened to Sideswipe.