What are your Wives/GF's Reaction To your TF collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Attobot2006, May 7, 2010.

1. Attobot2006

Attobot2006 Well-Known Member

(sorry for the biased premise of the title assuming TF collectors are straight males. I guess I should have wrote "What are your significant others' reactions to your TF collecting habit?")

Ok, some of you may be lucky enough to have significant others who are either understanding of your TF habit, think it's a cute quality about you (that you like toys), or actually share your TF fandom with you.

But what about those with significant others who are NOT into TF's specifically?

Do they just tolerate your collecting of TF's?

Do they hate it?

Do they support it? (Like buy you TF's for xmas or bday, or are encouraging about new bots they spied that you don't yet own?) (I was browsing TF's at walmart one day, and I a woman going thru all the TF's on the pegs and shelves and listing them all to her husband on her celphone, and saying "oh, here's one you don't have, do you want me to get it for you?" I was thinking, wow, lucky guy)

AND, for those of you whose partners DO NOT APPRECIATE your TF collecting habit: how do you deal with it? Do you say "Eff her/him, I'm getting it anyway?" Or do you just do your own thing? Or, in some cases (which I have witnesed), do you refrain from buying what your heart desires simply because your spouse says "no, you can't" ? (I had a fellow TF buddy of mine and his wife visit once, and I was showing him ROTF Leader Prime....his eyes got big, and he turned to his wife, and before he even said one word, she put him in his place and said "No." Lol, he didn't even get to ask! (If he could go out and buy one too). I can't imagine NOT being able to buy whatever I wanted just cuz my wife says I can't! (Unless we don't have enough money for essentials)

For those of you whose partners DON'T LIKE YOU SPENDING MONEY on the TF's, how do you mitigate buying new TF's and adding them to your collection w/o the wifey getting mad?

For the record, of the GF's and would-be-wives I've had, none were fellow TF enthusiasts, only one was somewhat supportive, and the rest hated how much space my TF's took, how much money they cost, and how much time I spent obsessing about my TF's. The way I mitigated new purchases is I would just blend them in with my existing collection hoping the GF wouldn't notice it was a new bot, lol. To non TF fans, in my experience, that usually works since "they all look the same" to them and can't tell if I'm playing with a new bot or an old one that I already had.

But my last GF was very astute, and even though she was not a TF fan nor could really tell most of my TF's apart, she was very good at noticing TF's that she had never seen before and would always press "So did you buy a new one again?" I would end up lying and saying it was an old bot that I had in storage that I decided to take out since I hadn't played with it for a while. Most of my GF's didn't like how much I spent on my bots.

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    TF's are a deal-breaker for me. Way easier for me to find a girl than to stop collecting TF's. They are too big a part of my life over the last 25 years to consider giving them up, and any girl worth her salt would see them and accept them as part of who I am.
    I guess it comes down to how scared of being alone people are as well, is it better to be in a half-assed relationship rather than being single?

3. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Mine's fine with it. She buys me new ones at bday / Christmas as well, presuming she can remember which ones I'm after :lol 

4. Attobot2006

Attobot2006 Well-Known Member

Dealbreaker for me too!

It's funny, I've known fellow TF fanboys who have given up TF's because it was "time to grow up" and they had to shed their boyhood likes if they wanted to have a "serious adult relationship." I have even heard guys defend the move by saying "which would you rather have? Cold hard plastic and diecast to come home to? Or a soft warm woman? That's a no-brainer" they'd say. Some of these guys who gave it up are my friends. And when I hang out with them (and their wives), I see them looking enviously over their wifes shoulder at my TF's the same way guys sometimes look at other women, lol. I'm thinking "ya know you still want it!"

There may have been an astrosecond or two where I thought the same thing: that this is silly boyhood stuff and no woman would ever take me seriously unless I left this stuff behind......but....

Honestly, when I got to thinking about it, it's not so much that Transformers is such an important part of my life that it's a deal breaker, but the fact that I LIKE transformers, and LIKING them is PART OF WHO I AM, also leads me to say, "yeah, any woman who can't like me for who I am...including the fact that I am a TF nut, isn't any woman I'd wanna date or be hitched to."

So yeah, man, I know these plastic toys can seem trivial compared to having an serious "adult relationship," but I agree with you man: it's a "deal breaker" for me too!

My last GF commented on how all my TF's all over the house (I'm always playing with them or have many of them disassembled in various stages of customization) are "so not her," as in it's not her thing. (She was more into LOTR, which I find funny, cuz I wouldn't mind if she had a bunch of LOTR stuff all over the place). She said she didn't like TF's cuz she prefers old time warriors that fight with swords and shields where chivalry and codes of honor apply to warriors who have a certain code of conduct. She actually didn't like TF's because they just exude mindless violence using futuristic energy weapons and technology with no passion or feeling for their tactical conduct.

We broke up, eventually, but because she was a germaphobe and I recently got really sick and she couldn't stand being around a sick guy in fear of catching it, so she moved out! Suffice it to say, I have enjoyed playing with my TF's much more freely since then!

5. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife thinks they are childish but is more supportive now that I've put up some smart glass shelves and spot lighting to display my collection better.

Usually I try to restrain my purchases due to cash priorities (we have a daughter), but she does encourage my to buy a figure if I really want it. I try to mitigate this by encouraging her to spend on something she really wants at same time.

6. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife's always been fine with it, fully supportive as well. Heck, since I had to give up my man room to become a playroom for my boys, she even let's me keep a couple of glass cabinets of G1 TFs in the living room.

I think how nice the display is can often swing a significant others' attitude. No offense to some, but I've seen collections on show here that, frankly, are messy and look like just a pile of random, garishly coloured plastic. However, a decent, well thought-out display looks good no matter the subject!

The fact that my two sons are now well into TF themselves (even though they insist on playing with mine!!) helps for sure.

7. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    My wifee doesn't like Transformers at all. However, she doesn't complain about my collecting/collection. I guess it helps that I don't have a huge collection anymore (I used to have around 500 - now it's down to 50 or so) or spend that much money (I only spend roughly $200 a year on Transformers).

8. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Ive never understood why it would be a problem. Seriously confusing.

I have a childish habit because I like to collect TF's? Sure beats you'r shitty chick flick DVD collection if ya ask me.(bad experience)

Seriously it's a collection the same way people collect cars, art, commemorative plates etc.

It's a lot more exciting to me than any of those too, plus cheaper(usually).

Luckily my current GF is cool with it. In fact when I explained it to her she said she was surprised that this whole world existed right under her nose. She said she never gave this kind of stuff a second thought until I opened her eyes to it.

She gave the Transformers movie a shot recently and said she understands why i'm so into it now.

She also said, I kid you not, that Optimus Primes voice was sexy.

lol, my baby.

9. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    My wife could care less. As long as the bills are paid on time, there's a roof over our heads, and we have a fridge full of food then the TFs are fine.

10. Drake915

Drake915 Autobot Scout

I always end up converting my girlfriends over. my past few thought it was stupid or weird at first then just got used to it and started to take an interest. I just explain that i like the concept and that it reminds me of the good times when i was younger and my dad was still alive since he died when i was 10 in 91. They always understand at that point. Then i just keep ranting on how awesome they are and they get curious. My enthusiasm must be infectious lol

11. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My wife is pretty good about it. Any time she does get on my case about it, I just point out how shitty some of her friends' husbands are. Instead of buying toys and playing with the kids, I could be out at the bar, spending money on booze.

12. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    My fiance is positive about it. It isn't her favorite thing in the world, bu she know it is something I enjoy and will listen to me talk about figures I'm excited about. I don't generally ask for figs as gifts bc I usually
    have the things I'm interested in.

13. dark gundam

dark gundam PowerMaster

My current GF is cool with it, she just wants me to get some shelves to neaten up the extra room in my house. My TF's are all over the floor and scattered about. She doesn't support my collecting as much as my last GF who ALWAYS bought me TF's, I didn't even have to ask, she even knew who most of the popular characters were. I miss her....

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my wife is fine with it, she loves animated and the movies, and we're currently watching g1 all the way through, (she likes some, but not all of it, but that's understandable, i don't like all the episodes either) and buys me stuff she know's i want for the collection

15. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    What/who are these "wives/GF's" you speak of?:wink: 

16. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    rather indifferent to it....it keeps me out of trouble so she could care less.

17. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Mine doesn't really care. She's not into it, and she might break my balls about them,.. "Aww.. you got a brand new toy" stuff, but it's not a big deal. She buys two pairs of shoes a week and a some new thing that's just a different way to dust or mop your floors that gets used once. I'm not really sure why they would care unless bills weren't being paid or something like that. If anyone told me to stop doing something I liked just because they don't like it I'd laugh in their face regardless of who it is.

18. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    The amount of arguments her & I have had over my ever-expanding TF shelves & all of those clothes she buys... *shakes head*

I mean, I spend my money on my TFs (she has never purchased one for me & she probably never will) but the amount of times she's gone through my wallet in order to fund her shopping expeditions... It's like Lisa Maree & I are living in an episode of "Married w/ Children"... :lol 

19. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    My girlfriend has an equally strong addiction to anime DVDs so she's far more understanding than I can imagine most being. She takes a little interest in them and I did get her to watch Beast Wars, and actually it was her that dragged me to two extra showings of the 07 Transformers movie.

20. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    My next girlfriend MUST/HAS TO BE be into anime or otaku-ish--otherwise, it will probably end in tears.:D