What Are Your Thoughts On Human Augmentation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unchained5150, Sep 18, 2011.

1. unchained5150

unchained5150 Time to Disappear.

I've just recently finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution and it got me to thinking: What if the technologies present in the Deus Ex series were available today? I know there's work being done on all sorts of genetic therapies and prosthesis and the like now but, nowhere near as advanced. My question is: What's your stance on the issue? What if there were clinics available that you could walk into and hours later walk out with a new arm/leg/part-of-some-kind that allowed you to do things you never could have with the parts God gave you? - Would you jump at the chance to become augmented? Is it ethical or moral to augment the human body to do things it isn't physically capable of at the time?

Is forced evolution/adaptation something, you personally, would prescribe to? Is it ethical/moral in your eyes? If so, should it be regulated and be a government matter or should the corporations have free reign to do as they please with these technologies?

Personally, I'm all for it. I believe that God gave us the intelligence to further our species in an infinite number of directions; including furthering ourselves to meet those challenges. What's at the bottom of the ocean? Who knows but, if we could engineer suits and augmentations to withstand the pressures, why shouldn't we find out? Same goes for space. There are so many things within and without this Earth that are calling as loudly as the can to be seen and discovered. Why shouldn't we as a species use every available means to find and see those things?

Plus, I just think it would be wicked cool to walk around with robotic limbs that can withstand the impact from a 50ft jump or lungs that can filter toxic chemicals. Don't you?

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I would support as long as it doesn't turn into an obsession: I don't think ANYONE wants the whole goddamn humanity turning into a bunch of General Grievous-esque guys and losing their very soul to mechanics.

But yes, I would totally support it, I agree with you on the whole God-Gave us intelligence argument [as long as we don't cross certain lines, as mentioned above].

Firstly, I'd get some very creepy mechanical eyes, just to freak people out for no goddamn reason [and to analyse everything in a badass way, I mean, telescopes? Fuck telescopes, I'll use my EYES. X-Ray? Fuck X-Ray, I'll use my eyes, Analyzing Goku's power level with a bizarre one-eye glass? Fuck that, my eyes can reach over NINE-THOUSAAAAND power levels].

Then I'd get some bigass arms for badassery's sake.

3. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I want to be able to connect to the internet with my brain and back up memories online.

I have no real interest in bionic limbs or anything like that. Unless I get paralysed or suffer some horrible accident.

As to where do you draw the line, I suppose the obvious place would be in regards to children. There's probably no ethical grounds to prevent mature adults from altering their bodies in whatever way they see fit. Maybe some form of regulation to prevent unsafe practices and keep quacks and scamsters out of it. That's all I can think of.

4. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Well, if it doesn't reach the point of Deus Ex, with people being put on the streets because they can't take their augmentations, then why not? I can't see it being too harmful if it's done well. I probably wouldn't get augmented, simply because I'm kind of afraid of surgery, and I'd spend all of my potential augmentation money on stupid things. Like toys.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    It's already being done. It's called plastic surgery.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well,t here was a show about just that (plastic surgery) on tv the other day, and while I only caught about 5 minutes of it, one of the people said something that seemed to make a lot of sense, and it went along the lines of it being a good idea if it's absolutely necessary in order to make someone feel better about themselves, and if that's not happening, then they shouldn't do it.

... now, to expand into more radical situations (not just people who want boob jobs, noses, etc), maybe we're just being too greedy with wanting scouters & shit, but maybe flat out turning down the opportunity to improve ourselves physically & mentally would be just as selfish. I mean, if someone offered me a way to become stronger/faster/smarter without negative side effects, why shouldn't I at least consider it? Mind you, I'd likely decline because I think I'm fine the way I am & because it's disturbing enough as it is to have facepaint on me (let alone other shit), but once people are old enough to make decisions, I think we'd be doing our people a disservice to flat out dismiss it under the grounds of potentially going horribly wrong.

That's for the gunny pigs to decide, assuming of course the proper information is out there. :) 

7. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    We aren't talking biggers dicks and tits? Boring thread is boring now.

8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, if I want a bigger dick, I'll just start playing with it.

There's no need for little blue pills, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's figured this out either.

9. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    But augmentations would allow limitless dick growth, instead of the limited growth we as men have now. I think it would be weird looking for augmentations for a bigger dick. Way too close to dildo shopping at that point.

10. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, I dunno about "limitless" (as I can see that creating more than a few problems), but I'd be down for a vibrating dick, and I'm sure there's a transformers joke in that somewhere.

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I suspect anyone who goes under the knife probably found some way of convincing themselves that it was necessary and that it would help them feel better about themselves.

12. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Well, I meant limitless in possibilities. In actual use, it would have limits. Unless your hand is your best friend.

So, this is sufficiently off-topic. I am all for augmentations.

13. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, there was one dude who was a model, and kept getting told that he'd get a lot more job offers if his ears looked different or something, so to him that was a good enough reason.

I get what you're saying though, as for a lot of these people, it's just like buying a transformer. They think they need it, so they convince themselves that it's a good idea, regardless of the risks & things that follow them down the line. I'm not talking about medical shit though (like when my friend had a jaw operation because it was giving her problems & whatever), but when she started talking about getting bigger boobs I was like stfu bitch you don't need that shit. Nothing wrong with small titties.

I'm sorry, but all I can think of right now Mr Fantastic going horribly wrong all up in the bedroom, so...

14. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

If my brain had to go in a robot, that son of a bitch better be 75 feet tall and armed to the TEETH with guns.

That will be all. Oh, and it must look like a dinosaur.

15. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ew. Too far. Let's stick to the penile area.

16. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Better than being a Targetmaster.

At least this way, your "robot" couldn't trade you in for school supplies.

@ Haloid1177: haha, you said stick.

17. unchained5150

unchained5150 Time to Disappear.

True but, 98% of plastic surgery is superficial. What practical use do bigger boobs/differently shaped nose/tucked tummy really have? Sure they augment the outside but, there aren't any real internal benefits. Those are they kind I'm asking about. The ones that take your current potential for [insert action] and enhance it to an entirely different level. Sure, your mile time might be ten minutes now but, what if you could get legs that would propel you to a speed that would half that? What if you could get arms that could increase your lifting ability from 200 pounds to 1,000 pounds? What if you could get lungs that would filter any toxin in your immediate area so that you could breathe no matter what environment you were in?

Granted, this could all be taken too far and abused but, I talking about practical uses and sensible upgrades at this point.

18. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, I think an issue will always be that people take it to far, potentially to the point of using it for evil.

I mean, if the comic book universe hasn't taught us this...

19. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Yeah. I mean, we think guns kill people. This would take that theory to a whole new level.

20. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Augmentation? I never asked for this.