What are your ten favourite movies and why?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by The Swordsman, Jan 4, 2012.

1. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    I know there have been threads like this in the past, but the only ones I could find when searching hadn't been posted in for many years, so I might as well make a new one.
    So what are you top ten favourite movies? You can give a little explanation as to why you love that certain choice if you like, but if not that's cool too. Here are mine:

Dog Soldiers: Despite it completely ripping off the plot of Predator but with werewolves instead of aliens, it's still a joy to watch. It's a bit silly, but it also has some fine bad-ass moments.
    John Carpenter's Halloween: One of the few slashers I can actually sit through. I like how slow and subtle it is, something modern horror is missing entirely.
    Iron Man: This one is just so much fun, great action and effects, but also some great characterisation and dialogue. I actually prefer it to Nolan's Batman or Brian Singer's X-Men.
    Transformers: It's everything I expect from a Transformers movie and more, okay so the human scenes are frustrating and the jokes are out of place and badly thought out, but the robots themselves all look spectacular and I like how they each have their own time to shine.
    The Nightmare Before Christmas: I still remember all the songs, I can remember more or less all of the dialogue and it's one of a few films I watched when I was a kid that still makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. That and stop-motion is bad-ass.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail: There's not one scene that doesn't make me laugh, every joke is well done and pays off well, a rarity in comedies nowadays.
    Let the Right one in: The best vampire movie I've ever seen, the relationship between Oskar and Eli is very believable and, like Halloween, I love how everything is very subtle and not played for shock value. Also, its refreshing that the vampire isn't an attractive high-school student from California.
    The original Clash of the Titans: Okay, so it's not up to modern standards of film-making, but I still find it to be enjoyable and epic. It was how I was introduced to Greek mythology as a youngster and I immediately put it on whenever it's on TV, even though I have it on DVD, which I don't usually do.
    28 Days Later: It's thrilling, it's captivating, there are plenty of moments that make me think 'Holy F**k!" like the sight of Cilian Murphy walking through an empty London with no one else around, and it stayed fresh in my mind days after seeing it.
    Kiki's Delivery Service: Oddly, I find this film really relaxing and therapeutic more than anything, I just can't feel negative when watching it, it's very nice, charming and has a loveable protagonist, so I often put it on when I'm feeling awful.

EDIT: Honourable mentions since a few of you are listing them: Planet of the Apes (1968), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011), Wayne's World and Euro-Trip.

2. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

1. Transformers (2007)- it has everything I look for in a good movie. To me, it's a near perfect movie.
    2. Fast Five- I love muscle cars and I am a major fan of the franchise. This movie had the best characters, the best jokes, and the best action in the series.
    3. Star Wars- particularly Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith. It has some of the most iconic characters and settings in movie history.
    4. Raiders of the Lost Ark- I love how this movie is just a fun movie that I can enjoy every time I watch it. It's also part of the reason I want to study archaeology.
    5. Harry Potter- I like all 8 movies and it's my favorite fantasy series ever.
    6. Iron Man- this movie is my favorite super hero movie. I actually like it more than Nolan's Batman films. It also has a bit of everything in it and it's a lot of fun.
    7. Terminator 2- it had a great story and good action.
    8. Aliens- it's got great action, lots of suspense, and developed characters.
    9. Step Brothers- I've seen this movie at least a hundred times and I still laugh at every joke. Best comedy ever.
    9. Forrest Gump- I love the movie's premise and the story. It was a great movie that deserved the
    oscars it got.
    10. Jurassic Park- I've always loved dinosaurs and I've studied them since I was in third grade. It is a
    good movie with good CGI and the plot has themes to it.

Honorable mentions- Serenity, Shawshank Redemption, Pirates of the Caribbean 1, Star Trek II, and Zombieland.

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    1. Empire Strikes Back: The best movie of the best franchise ever. The story and characters were awesome, and I'll always remember the Bespin duel between Vader and Luke.
    2. Pulp Fiction: My favorite director's best movie. SLJ as Jules was a wonderful performance. Plus, the way the story was told is incredibly unique.
    3. A New Hope: The first SW movie ever made, and a great movie. The magic it has is incredible. Plus, seeing Vader on screen for the first time is quite a sight.
    4. The Dark Knight: The best comic book movie made, if you can even call it a comic book movie. The story was twisty and amazing, and Ledger had the performance of a lifetime.
    5. Animal House: My favorite comedy. Belushi was quite possibly the funniest actor to ever live, and it showed in this movie.
    6. Toy Story: This movie quite possibly has the best cast of an animated film ever. It's a movie about a dream every kid has had, and is just a heartwarming movie.
    7. Zombieland: This is my favorite zombie movie ever. Woody Harrelson was hilarious, and the chemistry in the cast was fantastic.
    8. Goldfinger: This is the first Bond movie I ever watched, and it caused me to love the series. Sean Connery was great, and if a female lead's name is Pussy Galore, you know it's a winner. Makes me snicker every time.
    9. Reservoir Dogs: Tarantino's first movie really showed how unique his film making skills are. Doesn't hurt that Harvey Keitel is a great actor.
    10. The Social Network: I hated this movie the first time I watched it. I did. But the second and third viewing really changed my mind. Eisenberg's portrayal is enjoyable to me, and Andy Garfield played an excellent foil to his character.

Honorable mentions include Saving Private Ryan, Return of the Jedi, Big Jake, Black Swan, Inglorious Basterds, Iron Man, and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

4. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

The Dark Knight: I love everything about this movie. Everything! Sure, many have pointed out the flaws in its story, but I enjoyed the pace in which everything was drawn out, Ledger's pitch perfect Joker, etc. The shortest 2 and a half hours of my life.

Empire Strikes Back: shows what a Star Wars movie truly can be. From the characters, to the emotional depth, to the settings, the action, to overall mood and style....

On the Waterfront: political undertones aside, you're not just watching Brando act, he becomes the character onscreen without effort. Fine performances all around from the supporting cast, and a quite a powerful movie.

King Kong (2005): this movie gets very little love, especially for Peter Jackson's choice of having a 3+ hr running time. But I definitely had the patience for it, and was caught up in the way the entire film just "flowed".

No Country for Old Men: quite honestly one of the best films I've seen in the past 15 years.

Pulp Fiction: one of those rare films that completely changes the way how films after it are made.

Finding Nemo: both Pixar and Disney at their finest, and that's saying a lot. Never has any movie been more colourful, both figuratively (all the characters) and literally (the ocean).

The Shawshank Redemption: so glad this gained a following over the years, when it first came out nobody saw it (in part due to the odd title).

White Men Can't Jump: not exactly your typical sports movie, and the chemistry between Harrelson and Snipes is always hilarious, never forced.

The Godfather Part I + II: of course I cheated by saying "both", not that you could take either off the list!

*May change at any moment

Honourable mentions: Goodfellas, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Lion King, Die Hard, Team America, The Rock, The Matrix, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Rain Man, Back to the Future trilogy

5. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

O.K. Let me just say, I do love horses, so it's why some of their movies are in my top ten.

1:The Man From Snowy River This is the movie that got me into horses, and had me fall in love with Australia. I just think the movie is perfect in every way possible, the romance is not shoved down our throats, the coming of age story was well told, and the cast was excellent, especially Kirk Douglas playing twin brothers!

2: Independence Day I saw this movie in the theater more than any other movie, and it is like the pinnacle of what a summer action blockbuster is supposed to be.

3: Transformers 2007 This movie sparked the child in me. I thought the movie was fantastic. The cast, the robots, the story, the music, and the action, good grief, Optimus Prime and Megatron crashing through the building, and right towards you at the theater, what more could someone ask for in a revolutionary action movie such as this.

4: Lord of the Rings Technically, it is one story, having to be split up in 3 segments. This movie just sucked me into a world that I wished existed. I love the characters, the story, the cinematography, the action, all of it masterfully directed. This is how you do a fucking adventure movie to endure the ages!

5: Jaws The most terrifying movies are the ones that can be true realities. And it's amazing what they can get away with in a PG movie.

6: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles These were my heroes growing up, and the 1990 movie was done wonderfully without the help of CGI. I also find it one of the more faithful adaptations to the original comics, considering they had to deal with some changed brought forth by the 80's cartoon.

7:Jurassic Park The movie that began the CGI awareness, and to this day, the technology made back then still holds up extremely well. The Road scene is still a classic.

8: Kick Ass The movie started out weird, but when Hit Girl tries to save the day, I thought was one of the most epic scenes I have seen in a movie involving humans in a while. The music was great as well.

9: Empire Strikes Back This is the movie that got me into Star Wars, and it is still my favorite amongst them all.

10: The Black Stallion This is truly one of the best quality movies I have ever seen, and this is what I think an oscar film should be like, something that captures your heart and spirit. I mean, just watch this two minute tribute.

Tribute to the Black Stallion - YouTube

6. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    In no particular order.
    Transformers(2007).
    Empire Strikes Back.
    A New Hope.
    Revenge of the Sith(yes, I know).
    Dragonzball P(not a movie, but I don't care, this is the best creation in the history of mankind.)
    Harry Potter 1-8.
    Iron Man.
    ???
    ???
    ???.

Yeah I don't watch too many movies.

7. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    the fifth element becuase there is s much attention to so much detail that it really draws you in and when you watch the movie several times over s i have you can see that nothing was missing no detail left undone. truely the whole movie was a work of art in every scene. story was good too, semi original obvious scifi love story, but still not so lovey dovey that it was a choke.

spaceballs haha how could you not love this movie? mel brooks needs to do another based on the newer trilogy becuase this movie was too funny to not have a prequel.

the breakfast club being a child of the 80s this was a very obvious answer, and really we are all someone in that movie somhow some way.

princess monoke a story that takes you in, and makes you feel something warm inside. i also like the hidden messages in miasakis films.

transformers: the movie im talking the '86 version. sure bays look cooler but this movie was a space adventure!

independence day its just fun to watch.

silence of the lambs despite its atrocious movie cover, this movie is great. most say a horror movie, but thats incorrect. its more murder mystery imho.

gremlins a very unique movie. its not quite any genre really. could be horror, maybe comedy ... scifi sure ... but unique above all else.

the matrix thought provoking movie. too bad they didnt make better sequals, refuse to watch the 3rd.

the guyver check out it out, its 1 a the few movies with semi anime theme that worked in live action.

8. Snarl_2289

Snarl_2289 Well-Known Member

1. Top Gun
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. American Gangster
    4. Lord of the Rings
    5. Gladiator
    6. The Prestige
    7. Finding Nemo
    8. 300
    9. The Iron Giant
    10. The incredible Hulk

9. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

10. Sabrina (1954) - Very young Audrey Hepburn and Bogart in one of his last films. Amazing movie.
    09. Batman (1989) - Yeah, yeah. Christopher Nolan is good, but TDK didn't blow me away when I was a kid either.
    08. Gojira (1954) - Goji's first appearance to the world. Epic movie, and the destruction reminds me of Hurricane Katrina. They outdid themselves.
    07. Superman (1978) - Epic. Just epic. I actually believed a man could fly.
    06. Bullitt - Steve McQueen and the fast back Mustang. The original cool.
    05. Back to the Future - Do I really have to say anything else?
    04. The Man From Snowy River - Beautiful, captivating, yet simple story. Fan-bloody-tastic.
    03. Elizabethtown - This movie reminds me a lot of where I live. Great drama and a fantastic soundtrack.
    02. The Thin Man - If you have never seen this movie, you are only cheating yourself. Nick and Nora FTW.
    01. Casablanca - Play it Sam. I'll watch it every time.

10. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Page D'Ecriture Spy Cousin Jeice

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    1. Transformers: Dark Of the Moon
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. Toy Story 3
    4. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    5. Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    6. The Fugitive
    7. Blade Runner
    8. Captian America
    9. Batman: Under The Red Hood
    10. Disney's Hercules

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No particular order:

- The Lord of the Rings trilogy - Extremely well-made and an excellent distillation and adaptation of the books.
    - Terminator 2, theatrical version - One of the best, most iconic action movies of all time. While the extended editions do add some interesting details, I think they made the film too slow and bloated, so I prefer the original cut.
    - Transformers the Movie 2007 - Has some flaws, but a great action movie, excellent special effects and pretty much exactly how I'd imagine a live-action TF film should have been done.
    - Pirates of the Caribbean, first trilogy - Generally entertaining films, with very creative world-building and a great lead performance by Johnny Depp. I really don't understand why people complain about these so much, especially the latter two parts.
    - Beavis and Butthead Do America - Hilarious film and the lead characters work surprisingly well in a feature-length production.
    - The Incredibles - A superhero deconstruction that doesn't get depressingly grim and dark, although it's a little darker and more violent than typical Pixar fare.
    - Toy Story 3 - Hard to pick just one from the series, but I think this one had the best script and the most emotional impact.
    - The Matrix, first movie only - A very creative sci-fi action movie with many interesting concepts, ground-breaking special effects and surprisingly good performances from some of the leads (particularly Hugo Weaving). Also works perfectly well as a self-contained film, so the less-impressive sequels can be ignored.
    - Chris Nolan Batman trilogy - Easily the best comic-based movies ever, IMO. Portrays a believable street-level hero in a realistic world, with excellent performances from virtually the entire cast and superb writing. The standard of quality by which any future comic book movies should be judged. I'm assuming that Dark Knight Rises will hold up to to the first two films.
    - Spirited Away - Needed at least one Studio Ghibli film on the list and this was my favorite.

Honorable mentions to Snakes on a Plane, Event Horizon, Dark City, Team America: World Police, Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, any other Studio Ghibli film and any of Pixar's other films (except Wall-E).

12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Serious response, in no particular order.

The Princess Bride - Joking aside, this has always been one of my favorite films because along with having love, steal & sorcery, it also found the perfect way to embody all of these things, while also making fun of them at every turn.

Dirty Work - This movies features one of my favorite comedians (Norm MacDonald), and I think it does a great job of appealing to a very well placed low brow demographic. The film has stuck with me since the beginning, the characters were great, and many of the jokes remain staples in my mind.

Batman Begins - People often that the Dark Knight was better, but I disagree. Like, this isn't a knock on the sequel, but moreso a reflection of how this is the movie that brought me back into the big screen, and didn't seem to fail at every turn. Batman is the ultimate hero, and to me, this was the ultimate representation.

The Last Samurai - Much like Batman Begins, I know this is sort of a generic choice, but everything was done so well. I've never been a huge movie annalist, but again, everything kept me there, and I didn't regret buying this one bit.

Bloodsport - While Bloodsport isn't exactly a "great movie" by common standards, it's here because lets face it. It's Van Damme in a fun movie that has a lot of watchability. Kickboxer is arguably the better film, but it didn't the same "it factor" that Bloodsport did.

Good Will Hunting - This is one of my favorite movies, and has been since the 1st time I watched it. Every minute had me glued to the screen, and it's essentially based around really good dialogue that's very rare these days.

Herbie (1967) - This is the movie that I've probably watched more than anything else when I was younger, so it's not one that'll ever go away for me.

Pulp Fiction
    - Here by default

Mean Girls - Much like Bloodsport, this wasn't meant to be a great drama, and it wasn't meant to be the next best thing. However, the more I think about Mean Girls, the more I love everything about it. I also went into this thinking it would suck ass, but came out with the exact opposite reaction, and I encourage everyone to watch it at some point.

Boyz N The Hood - I first saw this when I was quite young, and I truly attribute doing so to how I became a man. I was never in a gang or anything, but the point still stands, and this is another movie that I think everyone should see.

Coraline - I know this didn't get as popular as the big animated films did, but everything about this resonated with me. It was like a dream come true (be it as a nightmare), and then some. The concept of the "Other Mother" was brilliantly done, and through all of it, the realism that still managed to stay present was insane.

Honourable mentions go to The Mask of Zorro, Transformers the Movie (hah), and of course the original Star Wars trilogy (not the 3 prequels)

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm anal to a degree when it comes to lists. I'd have to do separate lists for comedies, drama, animated, action, etc. I guess it is a bit of minor OCD. I'd also have to do one on more obscure titles or less well known cult titles like Student Bodies and Tremors. I've got so many I love to death like:

Airplane
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    original Star Wars trilogy (consider it one long movie story arc)
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

and so on. Seriously it is a weird compulsion. A while back I made a spreadsheet of all my DVDs up to that point. In stead of a straight list I put them all into categories. I did a separate sheet for the straight list to see how many i had. Also if i leave a movie off I like I feel bad..

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's hard for me to come up with a list because even though Mean Girls & Bloodsport come to mind right away, it's not really a fair comparison to something like those to The Last Samurai or Good Will Hunting because of how different their approaches were. Then when it comes to movies like Batman Begins, it just seems like such a generic answer, even though it really did blow my mind like nothing else.

15. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

1. 2001 - A Space Odyssey - Simply a profound film. Even with the slow pace, on my first viewing I was gripped from beginning to end. Every subsequent viewing I notice something I didn't see before.

2. Jaws - Probably my first favorite movie when I was younger. Still suspenseful, character chemistry is perfect and nothing feels overdone. Score is amazing and the improvisation when the mechanical shark wouldn't work on set which forced Spielberg to film from the sharks point of view regularly made the film what it is.

3. Seven Samurai - Even at the 3 hour running time, nothing in this film feels unnecessary.

4. The Evil Dead - The film nasty of the 80's. Nowadays this can be seen as a bit of a horror comedy, due to the films own sequels taking the horror comedy route and the level of gore we expect in modern horror. However this film absolutely broke new ground with gore content for it's time.

5. The Thing - Clever effects and gore abound in this film and they are to be commended but what makes it a truly great film is Carpenter's direction, feeling of isolation, suspense and mistrust.

6. Donnie Darko - This is a movie I had to watch multiple times to pick up all the threads but each viewing made me love the film more and more. Camerawork, soundtrack just creates such a powerful mood for this film.

7. Sucker Punch - An interesting choice for a favorite film, as it was universally panned. However I couldn't help but feel compelled to watch it over and over until I had figured it all out and led to plenty of discussion about the films flaws and strengths.

8. Jurassic Park - The perfect adventure film, Spielberg captures the imagination of both young and old with this film in a way that few directors can pull off.

9. Nosferatu - Incredibly suspenseful vampire film. The black and white footage, silent dialogue, creepy make up and the infamous shadow climbing the stairs all work together to build the gothic atmosphere for this movie.

10. An American Werewolf in London - Great use of practical effects, clever script and perfect balance of well directed horror and fitting comedy. No onscreen werewolf transformation scene has been able to top this one since this film's release.

16. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Seven Samurai is amazing. Utterly flawless. Kurosawa had a real gift for direction. I wanted to put Yojimbo on my list, but I ran out of room.

17. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

1. Transformers The Movie - 1986

Because I love this franchise. I love Rodimus Prime and the movie DIDN'T kill Bumblebee.

2. TMNT 1 1990

Orionsbelt already said all the reason why on page 1 of this thread.

3. The Last Unicorn 1992

One of the best adaptations from novel to movie ever, done by some of the people who would eventually become Miyazaki's Ghibli studio. And I just love unicorns.

4. Robin Hood 1973

Not the most well animated film in Disney's cannon but it's what started my Robin Hood obsession at the age of 6 that I have to this day.

5. The Mask of Zorro 1998

This movie has everything - the perfect blend of action, humor, character, romance, drama, evrything really.

6. The Wizard of Oz 1939

It's a classic for a good reason.

7. Beauty and the Beast 1991

There's a reason it's the only animated film to date that has been Oscar nominated.

8. TMNT 4 2007

Not since the 1990 one have I loved the Turtles this much. The Leo/Raph fight is the best "superhero" movie fight ever.

9. Highlander: Endgame 2000

Yes, I'm weird for liking it. But I love Adrian Paul and seeing him fight side by side with Christopher Lambert. I love movies with good sword choraography. And it made me a fan of the franchise.

10. X-Men Trilogy, Wolverine, First Class

My favorite movie franchise and it's hard to pick just one.

Honorable mention - Star Wars Original Trilogy, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Anastasia 1997, Iron Giant, Kung Fu Panda, The Living Daylights, Licence to Kill, Pixar's upcoming Brave

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait...what?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  19. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

That was an excellent fight, because it was heart wrenching, thrilling, and still does not answer the question who is truly the best fighter out of them. But, this is close to something that happened in the comics, Raph lost his temper big time with Leo, and despite Leo's best efforts, Raph threw him through a brick wall.

20. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Hah, just a placeholder. :) 

Disregard what you think you saw.