Customs: What are your personal rules for kitbashing?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Massdestruction, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

While I am taking a small break from kitbashing, I have a question for the community: What are your personal rules for kitbashing?

We all have them. I have 3 main rules:

An individual character should only get one kitbashed version for my collection. If I make a custom version of G1 Ironhide, I won't make another bash inspired by Ironhide, however I could make a custom version of Movie Ironhide since he is not the same character.

No partsformers. No parts should have to be removed from the vehicle and reattached to the robot. Realistically, a Transformer would not have chest pieces or limbs magically come off and reattach. Exceptions are made for weapons and shields. If I need to have a part detach from the vehicle, it needs to convert into either a weapon or shield.

Only one Transformer may be sacrificed per custom / No Transformer may be used only for parts. Knock offs and non-Hasbro robots may be torn apart and used just for parts, but any time I grab a piece off of an official Transformer, that Transformer must be transformed into it's own custom. If I were to take the wings from a Prime Beast Hunters Starscream to use on some custom, I would then need to make the wingless Starscream into it's own custom.

Ofcourse, there have been a few times when I needed to bend or break the rules, but 99% of the time the rules apply.

So what are some of your rules?

2. LizardbotHero

LizardbotHero Arial Reconnaissance

Ebay:
    One of my “rules” that isn’t as much a rule as it is an idiosyncrasy is that I have to have multiples of figures that I plan to kitbash or use for parts in case I screw one up so that I have spares.

3. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

I can understand that rule. Fortunately, I have never screwed up a custom beyond fixing, but I have come close on occasion and it is a big fear. There was even a time when I had to mold a replacement piece from one of the figures in my (unaltered) collection. I always prefer to keep one of the character/mold untouched on the shelf for my collection. I try to keep them as close to mint as possible, so altering them or risking making a mold from them is a big no-no..