What are your hunting rituals?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unicronsupreme, Oct 3, 2008.

1. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    When you go out looking for new TFs (or anything else you collect I suppose) do you do anything to improve your luck or even just to streamline the process?

I've found that I typically have better luck if I bring my dog with me in the car and park a ways away from the door. I know the best routes the toys sections of all of the local Wal-Marts (pretty straight forward), Targets (kinda tricky) and TRU (very odd). I have a specific path that I take in the Target stores to avoid walking through long sections of toy area where the whining kids usually are. I also rarely shop on weekends because I hate hearing screaming kids when I'm in the hunting mindset, it just ruins it. I personally take a couple minutes to look at the TF section even if I don't see what I'm looking for right away. Sometimes there's something on the back of a peg or behind some boxes and it never hurts to look a bit (it's how I got my Silverbolt on the first day of sightings in a TF deadzone). I also have favorite routes to and between stores, but those don't usually effect my results.

Does anyone else do similar things?

2. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

I usually hit walmarts since i get an employee discount. Target and tru on ocassion. Anytime i work, i look at transformers on my way to my department. Then check a walmart close to my house a couple times a week. Thats bout it.

3. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    search ebay and hope no ones but me bid but that never happens.

store search..no way.

4. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    My hunting day ritual.

I set the alarm for 8:08 (the release day of the 86 movie).
    I get up, shower, and put on my lucky TF boxers.
    My standard hunting garb is all black. Sometimes I wear a monocle. sometimes not.
    On the way downstairs, I pick a TF at random from my shelves and transform him. I then touch my MISB pre-rubsign Prime on the window over the cab for luck after the ritual dusting.
    I hop in my white RX-8 (vanity plate: JAZZ) and begin the search pattern.
    1st stop - Walmart. I park at the garden section which has an entrance right by the toys.
    2nd stop - the Target no one goes to. I park by the same tree every time. It kinda looks like Unicron bending over Lithone with his arm reached out.
    3rd stop - the Target everyone goes to. ugh. yet I found Titanium G1 Magnus there. So I keep going.
    4th stop - TRU. Cute cute cute cashiers. Maybe someday I'll bring one home to show my collection....
    stop for a snack at Krispy Kreme. The days I do this, I seem to have 35% better luck than others.
    Drive across town for stops 5-10. But only if stops 1-4 were fruitless.
    Come home. Unbox. Do the ritual New Plastic Crack dance. Pose the new toys carefully on the shelves. Curse my shelves for being too small.

:) 

:D 

5. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Same here... I preorder most things.

I go to 1 or 2 Targets a week just for other household stuff, so I check out the toy aisles while I'm there.

I gave up on my TRU, because scalpers get there at opening time and snag everything.

6. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I now believe all TRU have ravishing looking women. I mean WTF are you doing working here looks.

My rituals include watching something Transformers and or surfing TFW2005/Seibertron.com the night before to get me psyched up. In the morning I try to get all the thing I have to get done before hand like get the kids things they need done and what not so to have no interruption since I would have to drive 20 miles back.

While driving said treks for plastic crack I have to have music playing but not just any music playing. A mixture of the 80's movie soundtrack, Tony Bacala's amazing remixes,and the 2007 soundtracks. But always has to start with "Nothing's going to stand in our way", because nothing will stand in my way.:cool: 

Doing all this doesn't help the chances of finding anything but it always makes for a great time. What helps is when I go with the only other collector I know in my area and best bud. We have put "A LOT" of miles on his car and I feel bad cuz my car is a P.O.S. I would even say we have even put 100+ miles on one hunt alone. Maybe tuesday will be another hunt I hope.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol  awesome thread. Good ideas with the Tony B music and bringing the dog. I'll be doing both, maybe burn the latest WTF@TFW to cd-r too. :) 

All I do is try and save time by using Walmart's garden entrance when weather permits.

8. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Get up early, take the bus down to TRU (its out of the city centre for me), then either get the bus into the city centre and continue the hunt or return home and bask in my new plastic crack's glory.

9. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I just have a route that I take when I'm out doing a toy-run. Nothing else special.

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I "Run the pegs" whenever I go into a store. Put all the product on the lowest pegs possible until those are full then move up from there (none of that we've got 6 pegs for deluxes and only one or two per peg, I'm cramming them in). Then I put the more popular stuff on the front so the kids can not only reach it easier (being lower), but so they don't have to dig behind 12 Camshafts to get to the one Bumblebee. Also, its just a way nicer way to dig through the pegs and pegs of stuff.

Its partly because it just makes everything more organized for me and other shoppers, and partly because of karma, that way I should be able to find new stuff if I help keep the area clean for everybody else.
    DN

11. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Back when I had money I'd go to WM between the hours of 1-4am while they were restocking to see what they had in stock and what was in the new arrivals boxes. First time I found new boxes I opened the TFU Deluxe box and got one of each of the Wave 1 Deluxes and the second time I ended up with find a box with the Universe Wave 2 Voyagers and left with Dropshot.

My after hunt would involve me taking a trip to Burger King and getting a large number 11, Double Bacon Stacker, with a Sprite to drink. Gave me something nice to munch on while I was getting ready to open up a nice haul.

12. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Before I go TF hunting, I strip down to the waist.

I then inhale the herbs and paint all over my body in my enlightened state.

I then begin to sip from a tankard of sacred liquids, all the while chanting the holy writ of the Generation 1 production bible.

I then pour a mixture of blood, sweat and tears into my luck Optimus Prime cap, before placing it on my hairy head. The potent mixture drives me into a frenzied state.

I then step outside and call my horse and together we ride into the nearest Target, ready to buy Transformers.

Sometimes they let me stay.

13. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

You know what I do?? I order Universe Classics Ironhide from HTS the day before sightings in my area stop popping up. Because my destiny is to look like an IDIOT! I swear if I hadn't, it would have taken two months longer for them to show up (You're welcome Ga collectors)..I have to wait freakin' 7-10 days now...Thats just my luck I guess...ahh well..I guess Sideswipe and Silverstreak will keep me occupied. hahaha..oh and they wouldn't let me cancel my order because the order papers had reached the warehouse...NOT that my figure SHIPPED already..but just the fact they had a piece of paper with my order on it, that they had NOT pulled yet...They even said ships in ONE day...but was it shipped today?? NOT A DAMN CHANCE! The customer service rep was bullshit...I might be calling back to talk to a manager tomorrow.

Usually though, when I'm not impatient and can control myself and not break down and order it online, I will wake up in the mornings and check TFW2005 sightings for my area..check Seibertron.com..their sightings reports have actually yielded me just what I was in search of...lastly, Powerglide...and then I begin my drive of about 45 minutes (because no stores around my area EVER have any of the new stuff right off the bat)to a county over from mine..where all the TRUS, Walmarts and Targets are filled with my magic...or just plastic crack..which is magic to me.

I also myself have a ritual about always entering Walmarts in their lawn and garden sections. It's just so great to be able to bypass the crowd and get in and get out.

As for Targets, I usually have the least bit of success there so I always try to postpone the toy secton for a minute by checkin' out the Electronics' area. This has only worked for me once when searching for TFA Voyager Prime.

As for TRUs' , I always just run right through to the TF section (Palming kids faces to the ground and knocking their parents out of my way in a frenzy)...sometimes very surprised, and sometimes very disappointed...usually at the fact of how much movie shit they still have on the shelf. TRU came through with Universe deluxe Wave 1 when they first came out though!

14. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

forgot to add. When i go to my work for plastic crack i go through the auto section and at the other one, the main door by the haircut place.

15. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

it's better to got to one of the 24 hour Walmarts when they;'re putting stock on shelves, that way you could actually see the stuff they're stocking (though my Walmart is still on wave 2, no sign of wave 3 of Universe)

16. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

To me, honestly, internet is my best friend. I got almost nothig here. I use BBTS mostly, but Im now trying to use HTS for new things, if they run out of stock then I use BBTS and evil bay for old figures like Cybertrons, Beast Wars, etc.

17. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    that was WICKED! My monocle and I salute you.

18. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

My hunting rituals is me saving enough money for the Transformer I want, find a discount on it if there is one. But I have to pass the "Parent Approval" test.

Or use the money I got from my birthday (Sept. 17th) and go buy stuff from TRU the week after (Sept. 21st) because that's the week Geoffrey the Giraffe's birthday is celebrated on. Yea, I'm that lucky.

19. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

20. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Typically if I know it's gonna be there I'll call ahead and ask for a hold.

On actual "hunts" I take a particular route and check the stores. Usually I look around areas around the tfs to see if they were hidden. I also use the price scanners to see if more or on back if there is only one toy present in the front and then ask for assistance. This usually doesn't lead to much success but at least I don't have to check again for a few days.