What Are Your Feelings Towards Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Feb 10, 2009.

?

What Are Your Feelings Toward hot Rod/Rodimus Prime?

1. I Like Him--He is a great character.

90 vote(s)
    68.7%
  2. I Don't Like Him--He's an annoying character an it's his fault Optimus died.

41 vote(s)
    31.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Do you like or dislike Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime? Why? Is there anyone out there who dislikes him because you feel like it's his fault Optimus Prime died? He is definitely a character where you either love him or hate him.

I'm a big fan of Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime. My main memories of him are from the 1986 movie though. I loved the opening scene between him and Daniel and where he tried to take on the Decepticons that were aboard the hijacked Autobot ship single-handedly.

I also like the famous (or infamous depending on how you feel.) "Arise Rodimus Prime" scene as well. I just think he's a great character and I wish there was an updated Rodimus Prime toy in the Classics/Universe line. Fans project may be on their way to fixing that though so we'll see.

Thanks for looking and/or posting!!

2. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like him as Hot Rod.
    I don't like him as Rodimus Prime.

And no I don't blame Hot Rod for Prime's death in G1, I blame Hasbro. ;) 

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no room for middle ground in that poll is their?

I think he had potential but frankly he was following in the path of a huge Icon so he was never going to be as loved. And as bizarre as this might sound I think they reflected that well in the show with his occasional bout of self doubt I mean it would of been odd if they had all just kept going as if Optimus Prime would not be missed and maybe its that that helped make Optimus such a cult classic.

but back to the question do I like him? yes I do. I liked how from time to time he would show that he was still a young guy at heart and do some rather stupid stuff and I liked how he slowly accepted his role as leader.

As for this whole "he killed prime" BS that's just silly and I don't think any one can say in the movie he set out to get prime killed if any thing it was an act of heroism that really went wrong.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Don't particularly care for him, no.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Too bad the poll doesn't have more options.

Now that Hot Rod has been removed from that whole era of being the replacement Prime to be his own character I rather like him. On his own as just one of the Autobots now it fits rather well into mix since he can be a little annoying at times without really crossing that line into too annoying. Sort of the kid that bothers you sometimes but he's still a good kid at heart.

Rodimus Prime I'd rather forget and I prey that horrible idea never comes back again. A replacement Prime just doesn't work because no matter how well written, voice acted, drawn, or whatever nothing can really replace Optimus Prime.

Oh and it's all Hasbro's fault for lets kill off the old robots and replace them with new robots.

6. AMG

AMG Old School

I like Rodimus Prime, he had a lot of character. He was the one Autobot in season 3 who really developed as the season went on. He had doubts and worries, but overcame them and continued on with his duty. There will only be one Optimus Prime, but Rodimus did a damn good job considering he was practically thrown into the position of leadership so young.

7. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'm a Hot Rod fanboy, I have to admit. Character-wise I always thought he was more interesting than Optimus. Dont get me wrong, Optimus was a great character, but somewhat one-dimensional, he's a great strong leader character but there's nothing behind that. Rodimus as a young leader filling the shoes of such an icon created a much deeper dynamic and gave him a lot more potential. Having recently watched Season 3 again, He's also not as whiny as people seem to remember him as. He had some episodes where he got fed up with his role of leadership but in between them he stands just fine on his own, and said episodes were usually where we got to see some of his character faults that Optimus never had, which gives us better insight on how he thinks and gives him something to develop.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Favorite Transformers character since 1986. I'm pleased to see his resurgence in recent years and really look forward to his appearance on Animated and Fans Project's upcoming Protector armor.

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    As a writer, I love the potential the character had and hate the actual iteration of how he was portrayed. You have a character that, for all intents and purposes, is a young character that the name "Hot Rod" implies he's head-strong, a bit hot-headed and shoots first and asks questions later. He tries to be a hero and ends up helping kill the ultimate Autobot, and then by a twist of fate, turns out to be the "Chosen One" to save the Universe from Unicron.

Since he's the Chosen One, the Autobots all turn to him to be their leader, to stop the Decepticons once and for all and usher in a new age of peace. But he's inflicted with self-doubt because he himself doesn't think he's worthy of the Matrix, because he was responsible for the death of the greatest Autobot leader of all time, and in turn, was responsible for the creation of Galvatron (I don't think the Autobots ever put two and two together about Megatron/Galvatron, save for Optimus Prime in the RoOP where he states, "That's because I know you too well, Galvatron.").

The G1 Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime was a wasted character, and since then, all his incarnations have been rather uninteresting and boring. Energon Rodimus was a waste, a leader of a second faction of Autobots and was more or less crappy. We'll see how his Animated self takes place.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

He's my favorite TF character along with BB.

11. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I have nothing but disdain for the character.

12. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

I like him.

13. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll come back when Draven finds this thread... :lol 

14. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    He was poorly handled and I prefer Wheely over him.

15. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hot Rod is my favourite TF, always has been

Here's my lil Hot Rod shrine

[​IMG]

(includes hardcopy prototype Hot Rod, a pink first shot prototype, a red test shot prototype, a reissue prototype, a mint sealed G1 rod and a more hot rod goodness!)

Hitch

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    It's not my favorite character but I thought they could have done so much more with him in season 3.

Honestly I loathe the fact they brought Optimus Prime back from the dead. I'll admit they spent WAY too much time establishing Rodimus as a decent leader, but it was literally the episode after he finally accepted his role as the chosen one that they resurrected Optimus. Personally, I think it would have been much better if the writers had used Optimus throughout season 3, have Rodimus travel into the Matrix and use him as a mentor and sage. The kids would have had Optimus AND Rodimus at the same time.

17. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I love Rodimus/Hot Rod to pieces! <3

18. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

I like the character, always have.... Sure he wasn't all that special in the Movie itself, but beginning with Five Faces of Darkness, his character began developing, and continued to develop until Optimus Prime came back. He can't really be compared to Optimus Prime, Prime had been a leader for a very very very long time even by Cybertronian Standards... Rodimus was Autobot Leader for a little under 2 years...

19. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Hotrod=win Rodimus Prime=Fail

20. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He's okay; I think he needs more character development.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.