What are your favorite Video Games?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Transfan2, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Transfan2

Transfan2 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This thread is talk about your favorite Video Games that you like playing.

Describe it like this:

Favorite Video Game(s):
    The reason why it is your favorite video game: *if you want to*

(Or In The way that you prefer could work just as well.)

(More than 1 is ok.)

-TF2

2. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

Double Dragon (NES):
    Great action game, great nostalgia, perfect level of difficulty for a game, perhaps the best music ever made anywhere :) 

(runners up: Mega Man, Super Mario Brothers 3, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Resident Evil, Halo, GTA III)

3. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

One videogame?

Sonic 2 (Genesis):
    You can't get any better than this. Great and catchy music, fun but still challenging levels, and pure nostalgia.

4. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Dear God, there couldn't be a more difficult question. i guess I'll break it down by genre:

RPG - I love me some traditional turn-based RPGs. I just got Lost Odyssey, and its AMAZING. Final Fantasy VIII is my all-time favorite, with runners up including The Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, and Super Mario RPG. My favorite action-oriented RPGs are Mass Effect, Diablo II, and Oblivion.

FPS - Half Life 2 is just about perfect...yeah I can't think of any improvements. Also, I loved F.E.A.R., Soldier of Fortune II, and Deus Ex. Oh, and Bioshock was pretty good as well.

All the standard Zelda, Mario, and Sonic games apply, especially Mario 3. Also, Ratchet and clank Future was pretty awesome.

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why do you keep making "What is your favorite..." threads, but you never list what your favorite is?

Some of my favorites are all the Metal gear games, Resident evil games, old classics like Bionic Commando, Contra, Super Mario, too many to list really. They're all fun and enriching to me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  6. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Super Metroid
    Metroid Prime
    Chrono Trigger
    Chrono Cross
    SW:Knights of the Old Republic
    Destroy All Humans!
    Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain
    Final Fantasy 8

7. Transfan2

Transfan2 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    To answer your question, I am curious about people's favorites and thought it would be interesting to see what they are.

I may post my favorites (in their respective threads) later on.

It's all good and hope that answers your question.

-TF2

8. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

link's awakening and chrono trigger

9. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy VI
    Suikoden II
    Disgaea

So yeah, I like RPGs.

Ok, this is an honest question. Can the people who stated that FF8 was one of their favorite games please tell me why it is one of their favorite games?

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'll just do a top 5 since my favorites change on occasion and at least 3 of those are consistent....

In no order:
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Super Metroid
    Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requim
    Mass Effect
    Majora's Mask

11. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Bionic Commando
    Zelda Link to the Past
    Zelda tOoT

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1) Planescape: Torment.

Excellent story, brilliant characters, good voice actors, epic battles, etc. Best game ever.

Runner ups: Mafia, God of War 1 and 2, Shogo: MAD, Toe Jam & Earl, Kid Chameleon, Earthworm Jim.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Final Fantasy VIII, followed ever so closely by FFVI and Castlevania: SOTN.

The RPG genre is my favorite, but it's also the easiest to screw it up, so there really aren't that many great ones. Especially not recently. For RPGs, I find music, characters, and story to be the most important element, although a poor combat system can make any RPG unbarable. FF8 doesn't have the best FF fighting system, but It's still a good one, and it has my favorite soundtrack, characterizaton, and favorite story.

Oh, and yeah, lotsa people hate FF8, I've heard it a million times. I know.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

If I had to pick one and only one, it'd have to be...

Super Smash Bros Melee

Here's hoping Brawl can trump it.

15. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    FFVIII is one of my favorite games of all time. I really don't understand why it gets a bad par. IMO, the story was more cohesive and deeper than the all-popular VII, and out of all the Final Fantasies, The art direction and music are the best. Gunblades FTW!

16. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I loved the characters in that game. Sure Squall was kinda "emo" at the start, but he eventually came into his own, and I liked that. I loved the world in that game, which ties into my second favorite aspect, the art direction. Also, out of every Final Fantasy I've played, VIII has the best soundtrack by far. Overall, I guess I liked it because it felt more mature than the cartoony VII (which is due in part to the improved graphics engine), and I don't think I've ever been so excited for a game's release since FFVIII dropped. I remember getting it home and rushing to get it up and running on my well-used Playstation. *sigh* memories.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, i didn't even read your whole post before I made mine, saying FF8 was my favorite. Anyways, there are a lot of reasons that spark so many FF debates that I actually mostly avoid comparing it to other FF games because it riles people up a lot, and I love most of the other FF games anyways. So, while making no direct comparison to any other particular game, here are a few reasons I liked it so much, and this is of course all to be taken as opinion:

- Best soundtrack
    - Great, subtle story with a very mature way of telling it. Nothing was rushed, but not everything was fully explained right on the surface. The characters never knew what was going on outside of their perspective, so there was no "meanwhile, the bad guys are doing this" sort of scenes.
    - Characters I related to. I was an introvert in high school and I swear Squall's thoughts mached my own. People reacted very realisticly, and it felt in no way like watching an anime, which a lot of Japanese RPGs tend to do in general.
    - Beautiful and consistant art direction.
    - A battle system that was complex but amazingly intuitive once you really learned its inner workings.

While I could go on, I will say one last thing to keep this relatively short:

Amazing ending! It was long, had amazing music, was sad in a good way, and tied up all loose ends. I couldn't ask for more from an ending.

18. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

To me, a great game is a game that takes me a long time to put down (because it's so fun), and even still has a lasting impression on me. Here's the games I've played in my life that are like that:

NES
    • Super Mario Bros.
    • Super Mario Bros. 2
    • Super Mario Bros. 3
    • Contra
    • Super C
    • Mega Man 2
    • Mega Man 3
    • Blaster Master
    SNES
    • Super Mario World
    • WWF Super Wrestlemania
    • WWF Royal Rumble
    • Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    • NCAA Basketball
    • NBA Live 95
    N64
    • Super Mario 64
    • Mario Kart 64
    • WCW vs nWo
    • WWF No Mercy
    • WCW vs nWo Revenge
    • Ken Griffey Jr. Presents MLB
    XBox 360
    • MLB 2K7
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

I know that's a relatively long list, but it is most certainly a list of my favorite games of all time.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  19. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Deus Ex still stands as one of the best games ever, and my favorite, because it does an astonishing amount with very simple technology. It accomplishes this through effectively balancing a cinematic impulse with a still-astonishing amount of player freedom. It's really hard to establish multiple, viable avenues of action in all your circumstances; making them self-evident on an inspection of the level and well-balanced with a complex, branching tree of possible skill-paths the player can go down is mindbogglingly difficult.

They were never anything special at the time, but the AI and graphics have obviously aged. But the great (and amazingly voluminous) writing and good-enough voice acting keeps it feeling appropriately immersive and fleshes out the world in a way that the blocky architecture and sparsely placed items never could, and haven't in many subsequent games. It knows just the appropriate amount of detail to throw at the player, and that balance still rings true years later.