What are you opinions on the Movie Toys??

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jdre_124, May 31, 2007.

1. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Sorry If this cant be posted here or it doesnt warrant its own thread then Mods go ahead and delete.

In anticipation of the Transformers Movie Figures I wanted to know what are your thoughts and feelings on the figures?? Best Transformers Line of All-Time?? Worse Transformers Line of All-Time?? Like the Packaging?? Dont Like the Packaging??Etc........
    Please NO FLAMING!!
    Lets be respectful to eachother.

2. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    The idea of "best" is entirely subjective. I would never say any line is the "best" over another. The movie toys are definitely one of the more unique looking lines, and have some of the most interesting and transformations i've seen in a mainstream transformers line. They're not a 100% bed of roses, and some of the designs take getting used to, but overall I definitely like them and can't wait to pick up the Primes (voyager/leader) on Saturday.

3. 1UpCheatachu

1UpCheatachu Lemony Fresh TFW2005 Supporter

I love the movie toys. Can't say it's the best, but I can't say any of the lines are the best. They're all so different, really.

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I haven't bought any of them yet, but from what I've seen and heard, it's one of the better lines in a while, and I do like how the packaging looks.

5. Ectosmasher

Ectosmasher Member

I only have Leader Prime and Swindle so far. They're both great, but they both have some design problems. It's really hard to pose swindle, and Prime has weird things like his arms and waist don't lock tight, they'll swing around out of place if you move him around. So far the figures have great detail, but aren't very sturdy. I think most people would agree with me, especially when I hear things like Bumblebee's breaking and not transforming back.

6. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I dont plan on getting any.

7. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    So far I've got the protoforms, Bumblebee, Jazz, Bonecrusher, and Barricade, and so far I'm loving all of them. Very, very different from our usual TFs which is exactly what I wanted out of them. Best or worst is a matter of opinion, but it's definitely better in my opinion than some of the recent Transformer lines. Having a line of all realistic vehicles (...okay, besides Scorponok and Megatron) is a nice thing to have, ironically the first time we've had it since G1, and the alien robots are a lot more detailed and complex looking than we usually get, especially since their designs are so different.

And I'm going to go ahead and disagree with Ecto, all six of my movie figures are rock solid, including my Bumblebee which has transformed several times without breakage.

8. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just like voyager prime, blackout and the real gear bots plus the voice changer helmet the rest dont do squat.

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I have to say I hate the line as a whole. The Alt Modes look great but the Bot modes range from Terrible to looking like a 5 year old designed them (Deluxe Starscream). The Lack of hands on the Decpticons is a real turn off, the thing they call a head on Swindle is laughable, and Megatron looks like something thrown together from an Erector Set.

I do have to say I love the Real Gear Bots and will be buying all of them and I already have "Laserbeak", and I might get Leader Prime for my Prime Shelf but will wait for the G1 Repaint if there is one, or get him on Clearance.

10. Thrasymachos

Thrasymachos energon cube

Personally, I like the movie toys a lot, much more than I was expecting to, honestly.

Leader Optimus is a fantastic figure - it strikes an amazing balance between gorgeous aesthetics and great playability. He's an amazing toy.

Some of the best surprises in the line have come from the toys I had very low expectations for. For example, I wasn't initially planning to buy Deluxe Scorponok, but I picked him up on a whim since he was the only non-protoform on the shelves a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised at just how much fun he was to play with - the figure really sparks the imagination.

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of the movie toyline are the FABs. I wasn't planning on picking up ANY of these, with the possible exception of Starscream because he's kinda "cute." I ended up grabbing FAB Ratchet, Ironhide and Brawl in addition to Starscream because they looked really good in the package. They're even better out - in my opinion, the FABs have the best automorph features of the entire line. Starscream and Ratchet especially are an absolute joy to transform. The FABs are more articulated than I expected (though still more limited than the Deluxes) and overall very solid, fun toys - both to play with and to display.

The Deluxes and Voyagers are quite good - very good for what they are - but I think I've been a bit spoiled by the Alternators/Binaltech line. Still, the movie deluxes are half the price that Alts were at retail, and they're more than half as good - so I'm pleased with them.

Alternators/Binaltech is still my favorite line. It's kind of comparing apples to oranges, but when weighing all the factors (price, availability, aesthetics, playability) the movie line is in a tight race for second place with the Masterpiece collection.

Packaging is pretty good. Doesn't push the envelope of annoying twisty ties too badly. Bios are OK. Best part is the render/painting of the characters face on the front (the full shots on the FABs are pretty cool too).

My Rankings of the Movie Toys (I don't have all the ones I plan to get yet, so this is purely my personal opinion based on my current collection):

Best:
    Leader Optimus - He's all kinds of pwnage.

Excellent:
    Voyager Ratchet - Large and in Charge
    Voyager Ironhide - Excellent detail and near alternator transformation
    Deluxe Bumblebee '74 Camaro - great articulation and poseability
    Deluxe Wreckage - Sick weaponry, great poseability
    FAB Ratchet - fun fun fun to transform
    FAB Starscream - great transformation, and... very cute
    Real Gear Laserbeak - I'm not going to call him Booster X10. You can't make me.

Very Good:
    Voyager Blackout - finicky automorph and ginormous back kibble are not nearly as disappointing as the fact that he's not Leader or Supreme size - still, very very good.
    Deluxe Barricade - limited poseability keeps him out of the excellent category, but just barely.
    Deluxe Bonecrusher - cool transformation, fun gimmicks, lots of personality. I wish the fingers moved though.
    FAB Ironhide - surprisingly consistent with the Voyager aesthetic, fun to transform
    Real Gear Speed Dial 800 - it helps that he greatly resembles my actual cell phone.
    Real Gear Power Up VT6 - cool automorph feature, reminiscent of G1 Soundwave and moving D-Pad and buttons make him full of win.

Good:

Deluxe Brawl - the infamous shoulder-peg issue edges him out of "Very Good" classification.
    Deluxe Jazz - close to greatness, but just enough minor disappointments (arms, chunkiness, weapon not incorporated into alt mode) to limit him to "Good" status
    Deluxe Scorponok - Surprisingly fun and immanently worth it. Combining with Blackout makes them both better.
    FAB Brawl - YMMV but mine has some loose joints - also part of his transformation involves removing and reattaching the upper turret. I'm against part-forming on principle.
    Real Gear Zoom Out 25x - they don't even have camcorders this small in Japan.
    Real Gear Longview - I'm "meh" on the alt mode, but bot mode is easily the best of the Real Gears - well, except for Laserbeak.
    Scout Arcee - Gigantor energon weapons hold her back, as do the flipper hands, but she's still pretty kewel.
    Protoform Optimus Prime - supremely poseable and very recognizable as Ops. But he's still a space turd.

Merely OK:
    Deluxe Swindle - Bot mode is really good if you can get past the head and the somewhat limited arm articulation. Car mode... could be better.
    Protoform Starscream - despite the nods to G1, his poseability could be better and... he's a space turd.

Looking Forward to:
    Leader Class Megatron
    Leader Class Brawl
    Voyager Starscream
    Voyager Optimus Prime
    Voyager Megatron
    Deluxe Bumblebee '08 Camaro
    Deluxe Arcee
    Deluxe Dreadwing (iffy - but I like jets)
    Spyshot 6
    FAB Blackout
    FAB Barricade
    FAB Frenzy

Maybes:
    FAB Megatron
    FAB Bumblebee

Avoiding:
    FAB Optimus
    Movie Legends (although I may come around)
    Cyber Slammers

11. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Nothing but love here. Really brings me back to the ol days back during the Beast Era, got that excitement to a TF line that I really havint had since then. Which is funny to because the movie stuff is really stirring up a lot of love/hate like BW did which is really also takes me back and is a strong indicator that everything about the movie is going to rock hard as it did back then. On top of that this will be the only line since Beast Machines I plan to complete.

12. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    So far I have:

1) Voyager Starscream - My absolute favorite. Plane is very nice, but bot mode is simply amazing. I'll let the galleries describe him. Definitely worth the 2 I bought.

2) Leader Prime - Definitely one of the best. Very fun to transform & "play" with. I usually transform them once and decide whether to display in bot/vehicle mode and leave it, but I've already transformed him many times and it's still fun. bot mode is great for me when I look at him from the front, but from the side, I'm not as excited about the kibblish look

3) Voyager Ironhide - I was pretty excited about this and he met my expectations (they weren't that high to begin with), but now, he's my favorite autobot. He just looks so bad-ass.

4) All the deluxes are pretty equal to me, but the order I'd rank them is Jazz, Brawl, then Barricade. Those are the only 3 I have.

I'll I want left are Leader Megs (just to balance out Prime), Blackout (I know I'll love him), & 09' Camaro Bumblebee (looks to be my favorite looking Deluxe.) and definitely if they make a Leader SS,

Bottom line is I don't have ANY regrets or anything bad to say about the movie toys. I mostly collected G1 and these are more fun & are better eye candy so yeah, good stuff here. I don't experience some of the loose parts or other "defects" that other people have reported so I guess I've been lucky so far.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I've had Ironhide, Ratchet, Starscream and Blackout since about February. I think that Ironhide is the best "new" TF I've bought in well over a year.

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    So far I've only got Blackout, Ratchet and the two protoforms.

Whilst Blackout retains the 'ZOMG Badass!' quality, he isnt much for fiddling, as his leg design isnt exactly stable, so he struggles to hold some extreme poses.

Ratchet is awesome, he looks and feels like a hulking behemoth, someone who was designed to be a medic on the front line, easily able to trash any who might hinder his work.

The protoforms, fantastic fiddlers, and Starscreams 'Seeker ship' (renamed) mode is awesome. Primes bot mode is all sorts of awesome, love the feet. He can hold some fantastic poses too.

Overall, I havent seen one figure from the main movie line I wont get. This makes my wallet very sad.

15. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    I only plan to get the Primes and a couple of the real gear figures. The rest just don't do it for me. I'm a broken record these days.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    at 1st i thought they suck.

but as ive seen more of them, the suckitude has lessen.

17. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i only have blackout apart from that only bumblebee appeals to me, i don't really care much for the line, and to be honest the line has kinda killed transformers for me, not the movie designs themselves, more the fact that i was hooked on galaxy force and its taken so long to get a new full line of toys that i have kinda lost interest

18. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    personally i really really like the movie line

the alt modes look fantastic [mini-alternators anyone?]

the transformations are a bit more complex [compared to the more recent lines]

and i really really dig the new bot mode aesthetic

just really awesome stuff [plus they got a big frikken live action movie to make them even more cool than they are..that always helps xD]

yeah

i love 'em
    gimme more xD

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Very good. Leaders (except Brawl) are obove and beyond what we've had before.

Yoyagers are awesome aswell, especialy Starscream!

Deluxes are good, there are a couple lemons. (Brawl, Wreckage, ugh.)

Legends, I could do without.

FAB's, very good considering they're built for children, though with the actual figures out I can't see myself buying anymore.

Gotta love those Transformers.

20. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Anyone else spot the "Package U.S patent pending" on the back of the deluxes?