What are the new TF cartoons missing that the G1 had?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by maninthebox94, Apr 10, 2009.

1. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

I always notice when i see the new TF cartoon, its missing something that the g1 had, but what?....

2. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Animation mistakes and bad soundtracks?

3. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Different focus.

I notice the much, much smaller cast of characters (Can anyone explain the particular rules in place that pertain to number of voice artists and number of characters they can voice on one show?), so we don't have a lot of episodes like "Make Tracks" or "The Girl who Loved Powerglide" (not that that's not a good thing, sometimes) and the far more intimate focus of the storyline.

I don't think it's bad at all. Just different.

- Coeloptera

4. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One core difference between G1 and Movie/Animated is the production team on the former had to work around Hasbro's toy release schedule. Contrastively, the creators of the new generations are writing their own scripts and characters which Hasbro have to work around.

5. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

No Insecticons.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yeah, thats pretty much all they're missing.

7. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Each time a show returns and has a different team producing, it will always feel different.

8. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The hokey music is what I notice the most. It's why I'm hesitant to buy the G1 Season 1 DVD release coming up, even for nostalgia, because I still vividly remember the music and theme song (plus I got an emphatic reminder after popping in the DVD I got with 25th Anniversary Prime for shits and giggles).

'80s soundtracks scare me sometimes.

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    25 year old cheese.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Until TFA the transformation noise itself was a big thing that was missing as were certain characters. There are some really cool ones that we STILL haven't seen since G1. Let's just take Bumblebee for example, great character, but we didn't see him again at all for YEARS in a TF show until TFA. And there are tons more character favorites that just still haven't gotten their due as far as a TV come back goes. For example, seen Tracks in a TF show lately? Sunstreaker? Bluestreak? Hound? The Insecticons? The Sunticons? The Aerialbots? All awesome characters that people still remember and love. That's what has been missing. Not that there's anything at all wrong with new characters. BW more than proved that. But it's so easy for me to make a list of say their top 50 character from G1 and still have more favorites left over. I'm not saying that a big cast is necessarily is a good thing either. TFA has gone a long way in bringing so many of these characters back which is part of what makes it so awesome, but if you ask me what has been missing in TF shows since G1 and I can still come up with 50 more reasons and they are all names of characters I love that I still haven't been able to see in any TF media beyond G1 which is why G1 still hold such a spell over me.

11. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Peter Cullen and Frank Welker. :) 

12. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Huge casts with many of the characters getting little to no character development?
    Rushed animation?
    You being 25 years older?

Ok, maybe I'm being a little too harsh.
    Although it does seem like each North American show is in their own genre.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    This. While I personally advocate the creation new characters, I'd love to see a few of the less used originals brought back too.

As far as I'm concerned, most of the newer shows have taken the bare bones laid out by Generation 1 and reinterpreted it in lots of wonderful new ways.

14. Skyfire21

Skyfire21 A Challenger Approaches!

Ebay:
    Nostalgia.

15. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

Looking past my nostalgia for G1, the thing that I find missing from most (but not all) of post-G1 series is the idea of the Transformers hiding amongst us as earth vehicles. And when I say earth vehicles, I don't just mean a four wheeled thing that looks vaguely like a real car, I mean an actual real car, like a Lamborghini Countach. Those early Diaclone derived Transformers were so cool, because they looked just like ordinary diecast car toys. Not only could the Transformers in the cartoon and comics fool people into thinking they were earth vehicles, kids could fool their parents into thinking that they were playing with ordinary car toys. Or at least pretend that they were fooling their parents, considering who likely bought the toy in the first place, haha.

But even G1 went away from this idea after the '86 movie, when they introduced all the "future" vehicles and space ships. Now I still love the movie and season 3, but I think Transformers loses something when you shift the focus away from hiding on earth. And to me, hiding on earth as "beasts" is just not the same. It might have gone back to earth vehicles again, but they never really looked like something from real life anymore. I guess that's just the nature of a more litigious world, where you couldn't just use a real car's likeness, but regardless of why, it's a big loss. Before the new movie came out, only the Binaltech/Alternators stuff has been able to properly do what G1 did, since they went and got the car licenses.

The thing I love about the Bay stuff is that it's brought back the real life alternate modes in a big way. To me, that's what Transformers is all about, and it's what's been missing for most of the period after G1.

16. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I miss there being so many characters that it really felt like an entire race was at war with itself.

17. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I think there should have been more generics.
    Otherwise, the Cybertronian population seems incredibly tiny compared to humans.

The comics were better at this in the beginning. Although it got kinda bad at the end. With the whole population fitting into, I think, three ships.

18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Bad voice acting.

Honestly, people, I don't get all this talk about the G1 cartoon having great voice acting. I once tried watching several G1 cartoon episodes with my eyes closed. Apart from a few exceptional players who gave their characters distinctive voices, everyone else sounded almost the same. It reflects poorly on the voice acting when you can't tell character voices apart with your eyes closed.

19. tomboland

tomboland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    huge plotholes and contradictions

20. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Originality.

That was Armada.