Customs: What are the 'must have' paints on hand?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jericho, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I currently use Testor's MM Acryls as they were the first ones I bought and I tend to stick with what I know. Right now I have Chevy engine red, gun metal, white, steel, aluminum, primer gray and emblem yellow. What are the other "go to" paints that one would need for TF customs to do details like wiring, eyes, hands, joints, weapons, etc?

Also I picked up a Vallejo Blue Violet in order to do some details on a WFC Megatron (I couldn't find plum crazy in acryl) on the recommendation of the lady at my hobby shop. Does anyone have experience with this brand? She said it doesn't show brush strokes and holds better (won't flake) than the Testor's.

2. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

I also really dig Testor's paint and have been building my collection of them lately too. They seem to adhere really well to TFs (for me), especially with a good primer underneath (I've been using Krylon Fusion like a lot of others have suggested). I'd say you should try using copper, brass, and gold. I've seen a lot of great looking customs using those colors for details. I haven't actually tried using the Acryls MM verisions of these metallic colors before though, I've just used their enamel versions of them, but I'm sure they're great too. Don't get their Acryl silver though. I have tried that and it's not opaque at all, even with multiple layers. I just use the enamel silver instead. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Oops! I just check their website and I don't think they actually make a copper in their Acryl line. Sorry. They do make an enamel copper which is great though, but you should be good without it.

3. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

I use citidel acrylics personally but that is only because I already knew they'ed be suitable just NEVER use humbrol. I experimented with different paint types, Humbrol Stinks and eats away at the plastic. alas I wasted a corona Sparkplug.

4. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I primarily use Tamiya paints, with the occasional Games Workshop. They've never done me wrong before.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I don't know if it's better than Testors (which I've never even seen, let alone used), but I can certainly recommend the Vallejo paints. They have decent adhesion and coverage, and tend to give a very smooth finish too.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use a little of everything. Colors to get though would be any base color you think you might need, blue, yellow, red, colors of any sort really. When it comes down to it, there's almost no color you wouldn't eventually use. Also take into consideration that a steel color from testors acryl line is gong to look a little different from the steel enamel they make, and it will look different from a steel from tamiya's line. Because they all use different "recipes" to make them, you can get nice effects for using different brands and types of paints.

7. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Flat black. You can never, ever, have enough flat black. I also keep a lot of primer grey around - when I finish modifying a piece, I give it a good coat of primer to see if any imperfections are left. Then I strip the primer and touch up what needs touching up. Lather, rinse, repeat.

8. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I use Guards Red, which I think is a little darker than Chevy Engine red. But you've hit the ones I have. You just don't have Flat/Glossy Black. I also keep some White Primer and Flat/Glossy Clear on hand.

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

GW Liche Purple. That stuff is the single most Decepticon-ish purple I've ever found and it is the best pure paint ever in terms of consistency. I've never had a jar too thin or too thick, and I keep many bottles of that stuff in stock.

In all honesty, I think 90% of my paints that I use frequently are GW. They might be more expensive than everything else, but they work. The colours are great even right out of the jar, and everything they don't have, you can supplement with other paints, Mr. Hobby in my case. But it's very rare that I need to supplement GW paints, factoring their Foundation line.