What are the most underrated Disney films?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by HordakFan, Oct 4, 2012.

1. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

We all know many famous Disney animated movies from Pinocchio, Snow White, Fantasia, Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast, Lion King etc.

But what underrated Disney movies do you love that gets no respect?

The Emperor's new Groove: My fave Disney movie since i saw it 4 times in theaters when it was released and one of my faves, just funny and nicely animated with pure comedy.

The Aristocats: Lovable and fun animated comedy romp which i still remembered seeing the film in 87's re-issue when i was 5 turning 6 about 4 times and had a few merchandise including the stickerbook which i remembered

The Fox and The Hound: Emotional and well done animated film from the company that was successful on it's release but did got re-issued in 88 which was the one i saw in theaters when i was 7 about 4 times and had some stuff but never got to be on video until 7 years later. This has always been one of my personal faves.

Mulan: Nice story with great sense of humor, neat animation and a rousing score by Jerry Goldsmith, the best post-Lion King Disney animated film and i saw this movie 4 times in theaters when i was 17 even when it came out and i even thought she was cute but not when she's in drag, lol.

The Great Mouse Detective: I saw this movie when it was first released when i was 5 years old about 5 times in theaters and had some stuff but too bad the movie was never released on video for 7 years until it's 92 re-issue in theaters (which i did saw too). A mature, funny and delightful romp with brains,

A Goofy Movie: Wonderful spin-off of Goof Troop and as enjoyable as the Ducktales movie when it came to Movietoons, a 90s animated cult fave that i saw 3 times in theaters even with one of my junior high friends Bobby who loved the GT show, good message with nice animation and a fine soundtrack especially I2I.

The Rescuers 1 & 2: 2 fantastic animated adventure films with the first one that influenced Chip and Dales's Rescue Rangers

Oliver and Company: I actually saw this when it was new when it came out when i was 7 and saw it 5 times in theaters as i loved it and i had the merchandise to the film from CD soundtrack (my first CD which i still own) to all the way to Mcdonalds toys, shame it never came to video for 6 years which was a letdown but good thing it did. Such a fun animated comedy with laughs, an emotional beginning and i love that 80s feel to it as it was a time capsule of my generation plus i'm a Billy Joel fan, Cheech was hilarious.

Ducktales The Movie: A nice movie that came in time for the last season, i've been waiting for this movie since it was announced in Starlog magazine and i saw this movie 3 times in theaters and loved it. Has a nice Indiana Jones and pre-Aladdin esque feel to it plus Christopher Lloyd as the baddie.

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad: Best of the package movies hands down, they were released individually since then for TV and video but in 1994 it was finally released in it's original version.

Atlantis The Lost Empire: Disney's first PG-rated nonmusical film in years and a dark mature fantasy adventure in the Jules Verne tradition with a nice cast plus Mike Mignolas'a design for the film and a sense of fun. Saw this 3 times in theaters.

2. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Atlantis: The Lost Empire is definitely underrated. I watched this movie so much as a kid and it still entertains me today. It has memorable characters and a cool adventure plot. The animation is fantastic as well. It's probably one of my favorite Disney movies.

Treasure Planet. It takes a lot of things from the original novel and cleverly places it in a science fiction setting. The soundtrack was pretty good and we got to know the characters pretty well.

Dinosaur is also underrated. Is it the best Disney movie ever? No. Is it still a pretty good one? Yes. I watched this movie a lot as a kid because I would watch just about anything with dinosaurs in it. I still really like this movie and I think it still has some of the bet dinosaur special effects outside of the Jurassic Park movies.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Song of the South.

4. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Brother Bear.

5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    A bugs life.

6. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Treasure Planet is absolutely the most criminally underrated Disney film ever. Runner-ups include Emperor's New Groove, Rescuers Down Under, Hercules, Tarzan, Hunchback of Notre Dame and Mulan.

7. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Oh that's a great one, quite underrated and not very merchandised nowadays in Pixar stuff like back in 98.

8. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

antz

9. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Antz was Dreamworks NOT Disney

10. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Is it ok if I say Beauty and the Beast 2?

11. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Also: It was awful.

12. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I think Hercules is somewhat underrated. Even though it differs a lot from the mythology, I don't mind it because there is just about no way Disney could have done that and made it a kids movie. I think it is highly entertaining and I've watched it countless times.

13. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Tim Curry FTW!!!

Oww...The Great Mouse Detective. Vincent Price FTW!!

14. IceMagnus

IceMagnus STARCO FTW!!!!!

News Credits:
    The Halloweentown Series

15. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A Goofy Movie. Love that movie and Eye to Eye was a pretty catchy tune

16. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Teacher's Pet.

Based off a great original series, fantastic voice-acting and great musical numbers too. Highly underrated, IMO.

17. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Cars 2

18. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

^this and Cars 1

19. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

Duck Tales: The Movie.

This is one of the movies I used to watch quite alot as a little kid. It helps that I really love the Duck Tales cartoon.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Says you, I personally appreciated the social satire and black humor of Antz over the unholy melding of Three Amigos and Seven Samurai that was A Bug's Life.

Also in what crazy universe is Mulan an underrated Disney movie?