What Are The Logical Limits of MISB/MOSC?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lunar Archivist, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I have an odd question that's been swimming around in my brain for a while, so I figured I'd ask it here in hopes of getting a response.

Hypothetical situation: let's assume that, way back in the 80s, someone bought a bunch of Transformers that were prone to discoloration (such as Mirage, Jetfire, Ultra Magnus, etc.) and stored them in such a way that the boxes were perfectly preserved and dead mint, but the toys inside have been exposed to sunlight and have suffered from horrendous photodegradation. Mirage is now copper green and urine yellow, for example, instead of blue and white. However, the toys themselves have never been touched by human hands, the box itself has zero damage and the tape on either side is unbroken.

How exactly would serious MISB/MOSC collector regard such examples and what would their value be?

EDIT: This wasn't the best example of what I was getting at. Here's a better hypothetical situation:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...t-logical-limits-misb-mosc-2.html#post4316698

2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I was thinking about this today. I was in a shop and they had some stock that had obviously been in the window for a while. The box was all faded. I started thinking how much a faded box would affect the value. You mightn't notice from bad ebay photography, but it was pretty obvious next to the other boxes.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Hmmm. VERY good question there.
    Personally? I have a few MISB/MOSC items in my collection & as far as I am concerned the contents of them HAS to be perfect, or they're worthless to me. Sealed toys are usually for display in my experience (both of myself and fellow collectors). A pristine box with visibly awful condition contents is something I wouldn't touch with a 20 foot pole unless I needed the box for a loose toy I had.
    Bumblethumper - I'd take perfect contents & a shoddy box over the opposite any day.

4. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have seen the term MIMSB or MOMSC used rarely, but it has hardly caught on.

Mint in mint sealed box or mint on mint sealed card.

5. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO wouldn't be worth very much at all. By buying MOSC/MISB, you're generally wanting a MINT example of the toy within.

Of course, a more minor variation on this question would be - what about factory errors/paint smudges/missing accessories etc? It is not uncommon for a toy/figure to be MISB with some kind of flaw from the factory.

6. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw a Matchbox "Real Working Rigs" Cementmixer last night that had absolutely no front wheels. No axle, no wheels, nothing! LOL

7. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know how there would be discoloration of the toys without color-faded box art. But aside from that, I know I wouldn't pay a decent price for it.

8. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Serious collectors would regard them as NON-Mint in Sealed Box.

Value = Whatever can be salvaged once its opened.

Eg: A good condition box, backing card, bubble/styro tray. Sealed bag with unsued instructions/stickers.

Parts from the toy may be worth something too, but depends on the individual toy. We're mostly still talking about a fairly small percentage of the value had it been preserved perfectly, or near perfectly.

9. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I'd say they're worthless. One of the main reasons I love collecting toys is because they're so colourful. Faded or discolouration (from their original intended colour) is a turn off.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    QFT.

Though I could restore that yellowed toy to it's former glory. So I'd have MIB toy to resell ( or keep ).

11. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would not buy them.
    If the toy is discolored/faded it stands to reason that the box will be as well. In my experience a box will fade/discolor quicker than a toy. So if the toy is faded beyond belief and the box is still minty, then it is not MISB. It is probably resealed in a repro or mint vintage box.

12. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Perhaps my original example wasn't the best one. Let's take something huge and expensive that's highly vulnerable to degradation but whose condition is not easily determined, such as the Gold Plastic Syndrome Nightmare that is Japanese G1 Black Zarak.

Let's say that you purchase a MISB Black Zarak. The thing is still factory-sealed with tape on either side. Now, let's say you shake the box gently and hear what sounds like loose pieces rattling around inside. Also, you're not quite sure if that gold-colored dust on your floor was there before you tipped the box over to the side. Either some random part has somehow gotten loose inside or you've got chunks of shattered gold plastic swimming around in there. However, there's no way to tell what the condition of the toy is since the box has no window. You could open it, but that's a lose-lose situation: if the figure's intact and you were just paranoid, then you've just lost a lot of money because the item's now MIB instead of MISB; if you find out GPS has claimed the figure and accessories, then you've lost a lot more money because it's now nothing but a pile of spare parts for salvage.

So now, our theoretical MISB Black Zarak is like Schrödinger's Cat: it's either completely fine or totally fucked up, but unless you open the box, you're never going to know. What would MISB/MOSC collectors do in this case, ask for the box to be x-rayed? :redface2: