What are the important Beast Wars episodes to watch?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SoundMaster, Aug 2, 2010.

1. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    I've been watching BW for the first time since I was little, so I don't remember all that much. That said, I'd like to skip through most of the episodes that don't contribute much to the storyline, so can anyone tell me which episodes to watch where there are important plot points (Including new characters being introduced)? Thanks.

BTW, I'm up to The Trigger.

2. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    Let's see...

From the Trigger onwards...

Other Voices Part 1 and 2
    Aftermath
    Coming of the Fuzors Part 1 and 2
    Maximal, No More
    Other Visits Part 1 and 2
    Bad Spark
    Code of Hero
    The Agenda Part 1, 2, and 3
    Optimal Situation
    Deep Metal
    Cutting Edge
    Feral Scream Part 1 and 2
    Crossing the Rubicon
    Master Blaster
    Other Victories
    Nemesis Part 1 and 2

I know, there weren't many episodes left out, but that's just how tight the BW story was.

3. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I think at this point in the series, the only episodes that aren't required viewing are Call of the Wild, Dark Voyage and Law of the Jungle. All the rest either introduce characters, introduce plot points, build on plot points and character development and all that jazz. But seeing as it's only three episodes, you may as well watch them anyway.

4. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Okay, Maybe I'll just watch the whole series anyway.

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    There was a planned episode that got canned at one point called Dark Glass that took place sometime between Feral Scream and Nemesis. You should look it up on the wiki sometime. Even though it wasn't produced as an episode for whatever reason, it explains a plot point that shows up in Nemesis.

6. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    It may be a cop-out answer, but they are all good or great. Code of a hero- is must. There are so many reasons to watch that series.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Just to reiterate what the guys above have already said. Really there aren't many episodes you can skip without watching the next one and feeling a bit like 'WTF?'

For example, there might be some people here who will chime in with "you only need to watch Code of Hero blah blah etc" but really, it's as much what happens in the several episodes building up to that one as the actual episode itself that contributes towards the impact of it. The character arc of Dinobot and his relationship with characters like Rattrap, Megatron and Primal thoughout the whole of season 2 really are what carries the weight of the climax in Code of Hero.

Likewise, the Agenda 3 parter is often regarded as the 'coolest' BW episodes, but there are strong undertones in the lead-up to that main storyline which give the big reveal(s) extra impact when you finally get to see them, not to mention the consequences throughout the entire 3rd season.

It's not like G1's 'plot of the week' where Megatron would come up with a devious plan to do something bad and the Autobots would stop him, and he would retreat cursing Optimus Prime and vowing to get his revenge another day. Beast Wars has so many interwoven character arcs and subtle plot points which, if you miss any of them, can hurt your enjoyment of what happens in episodes later down the line.

My advice, watch them all.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'd also say you might as well watch them all. Yes there are some episodes that might not advance the over all plot as much or might not give as much character development, but those were often more light beat and funny episodes to keep the whole series from feeling too dark and bleak.

9. Thyme

Thyme Disciple of Yun-Harla

I would say all of them.

10. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Every episode except Transmutate. That episode is balls in my book.

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All of them.

12. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Transmutate was great. Watch them all. I hated Beast Wars initially but then came to my senses. It's the only TF series where all the episodes are good. Animated could have been had they left out those painfully awful human villains.

The Cyber Missions are good bar one.

13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Disregard this comment. Transmutate is depressing ,but a must see.

14. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    As far as episodes you don't really neeed to see, that don't introduce a plot point or a character, here you go.

Season 1

The Web
    Equal Measures
    Power Surge
    Double Jeopardy. While Blackarachnia is indeed introduced, she doesn't do much in her debut episode. All you gotta know about her is what she obviously shows each episode - she's hot, poisonous and deadly.
    A Better Mousetrap
    Gorilla Warfare
    Dark Designs
    Double Dinobot
    Call of the Wild
    Dark Voyage
    The Low Road
    Law of the Jungle

Season 2

Tangled Web. While Tarantulas does get a new base, it's not really too important.
    Transmutate

Season 3

Changing of the Guard. The Predacon victory doesn't really have any effect on the season.
    Proving Grounds
    Go with the Flow

Note how the first season had a looser plot, but the latter two were more woven together in terms of plot.

Also, many of these episodic stories I listed are actually some of the best. Gorilla Warfare, Transmutate, Dark Designs are some fan-favorites, and Changing of the Guard, Proving Grounds, and Dark Voyage are some of my favorites as well. Just because they don't have any real effect on the plot doesn't mean they aren't worth watching.

15. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    To be honest, I understand the moral of this episode where you shouldn't treat someone differently just because they are different. But to me, the whole episode kinda felt like a bad way to follow up on the previous episode where Dinobot DIED. IMHO, they should have had Transmutate air before Code of Hero, then I'd give it a little more respect, instead of having an episode where one of the Maximals die, and then have an episode where we have a Cybertronian Frankenstein just walking around for twenty minutes, and Rampage and Silverbolt tugging her back and forth like a ragdoll, saying "Come with me! Your existence is a torturous one!" "No! Come with me! You're a Maximal Protoform!" That's not how you should follow up right after one of the most important characters gets killed off.

I'm sorry, but I had to say it. I never liked that episode. Never liked it, never will.

16. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

The only episode I found to be kinda boring was episode three "the web"...

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Seriously, since you're already at the Trigger, all of them. Every episode adds at least SOMETHING to the characters or plots, and even seemingly minor things get larger in later seasons.

18. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Code of hero
    agenda episodes.
    end game episodes

19. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    Betas Wars is a must. I have to admit that some episodes of season 1 are a bit plain, but you must watch all episodes from season 2 and 3 with no exception. The best TF's series so far!

And you may continue into Beast Machines!