What are the G1 toys with broken molds?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SpencimusPrime, Mar 10, 2010.

1. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    I know Grimlock, Wheeljack, Mirage and Sunstreaker. Any others?

2. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Interesting question.

I think that's it, but I've always wondered, how do molds get broken?

3. Nightwing24

Nightwing24 00 Agent

News Credits:
    well some just deteriate (sp) after long periods but as I recall some were lost in a fire at one of the warehouses.

4. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I think the the G1 toys with the broken molds are Mirage, Sunstreaker, and Wheeljack. Which is a shame, because I wouldn't mind a G1 Wheeljack reissue right about now.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Molds from that era were usually made of steel. Steel rusts, at which point fine details become impossible to cast, and defects become increasingly likely, so the mold is no longer usable. Furthermore, each casting runs a risk of damaging a mold, due to heat, pressure, mechanical errors, etc, at which point the mold is no longer usable. Lastly, using a mold is like using any other mechanical device. You're going to use it a bunch of times, and its eventually going to wear out, usually once the quality of figures begins to degrade and inhomogeneities begin to pop up.

6. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    I'm surprised the Classics Seeker mold has held up.

7. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought some of the molds were in factories that were sold. Whoever bought the factories wound up with the molds?? Or was that just a tall tale?

8. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Huh, interesting. Thanks for the info Aernaroth.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it was speculated/assumed that most of the G1 combiner molds were also lost, along with the other four Dinobots as well? I could be mistaken, or it could be others making that assumption previously under the "well it hasn't been reissued yet, so it's probably gone" train of thought.

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the correct answer is nobody really knows. This is all purely speculation because only Takara/Hasbro know what they have. Remember when everyone thought Soundwave, Predaking, Sky Lynx, and Omega Supreme's Molds were broken?

11. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

there's isn't one single mold for each TF figure and it's easy for corporations to make new ones if they need them. Typical production molds are good for 50,000 shots before they are un-useable and then they make new molds. The classics starscream mold was wearing down from all the recolors so they made new ones, thats why the late production stuff had loose arm holes and now they are tighter.

for vintage g1 molds there were a ton of them and not just one. just look at all the mold variations and copyright differences on those figures, each of those came from a new mold and there was more than one factory makings g1 TFs so they 10000% had more than one mold.

the reason hasbro and takara are not redoing all of G1 is because there is not enough market. a couple thousand adult TF fans is nothing compared to their normal ROTF, animated, etc.... sales.

here's an old article were they said hasbro was investing 40 million for injection mold machines and other production stuff just to help make better sesame street monopoly games....they'll reissue all G1 if it can bring them the same kind of money this will bring in:
    Big Bird tapping on Hasbro's door | Editorials & Opinion - MassLive.com - - Massachusetts Opinion Articles &amp News Blogs – MassLive.com

the origins of the "mold lost" and "mold destroyed" is from one of the convention panels when some fans asked a hasbro rep why they don't reissue blahblah and blahblah...the PR person there who WASN'T in design, engineering, or production gave that lame reply and it's stuck in fandom now.

12. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    As sugested already, it's not unheard of for molds to be repaired, or remade.
    It's widely held that the mold for G2 Prime has been restored at least once.

The molds for Sky Lynx and Omega weren't lost, or broken. Rather, they were in the hands of Tomy, and when Tomy took over Takara, they were deemed viable reissues.

The popular rumor is (or was?) that Soundwave was made from the mold for Soundblaster, although admittedly they're amost exactly the same toy.

Predaking... that's a new one on me.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    soundblaster and soundwave shared the same mold. for soundblaster, they just added the bigger door. the exposed hinge seen on the reissues is actually normal on original japanese soundwaves.

same as the repaints that have new heads in modern days. they just add a head to the mold, rather than casting new molds for the entire figure.

they may have lost the hidden-hinge mold the US used, but the japanese one was obviously fine.

14. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    I so need a Liokaiser reissue one of these days.. :D 

Here's hoping that the molds for all six members are still in tact... ;)  :p 

15. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Speaking of molds that have been repaired/partly-repaired, A while back I heard that the G1 Prime mold had also been broken & subsequently repaired (massive over-use I guess... :lol ).

It makes you think - If they repaired Prime, Soundwave, Rumble/Frenzy etc. Which other G1s could we see being reissued in the future... :) 

16. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Ya, never heard of people thinking Predaking was broken.

I think the popular Soundwave rumor is that Takara invested in repairing/recasting his mold, since he was popular and could sell retail 2 versions of it, they deemed it worthwhile. Evidently much like Takara invested in refurbishing the Rumble/Frenzy mold, 1 mold provides 2 popular toys that can be sold at retail.

Whereas Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, Dinobots, etc. weren't as popular on their own and didn't have 2 versions popular enough for retail releases, so not worthwhile to re-create molds for them. (Sure there's also Marlboro Wheeljack, Police Sunstreaker, etc... but unlike Rumble/Frenzy & Soundwave/Soundblaster, Takara doesn't think those second uses would sell enough to warrant a retail release... and evidently that might mean the line between what mold is worthwhile to repair)

"Broken" molds is too narrow of a category. Molds can evidently be unusable for a number of reasons: Broken/worn out, Lost, Sold, Rights to the mold not owned by Takara/Hasbro(as was the case with Sky Lynx & Omega until the merge with Tomy).

Yes, the G1 Scramble City combiners(except Seacons & Combaticons...well maybe worn out now...) and Devastator are also evidently "unusable" molds.

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't get excited. Prime and Soundwave were considered iconic enough to be worth the effort... and I haven't seen any evidence that Rumble/Frenzy were repaired. They were just not reissued previously.

So Wheeljack, Mirage et al? Sorry, not in the same league of "fame" as Prime, Soundwave, Megs etc.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think both companies have pretty much reissued everything that they can. They may still have a couple in the pipeline, but the days of the reissue look like they are coming to an end.

19. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    At the very least the heads were re-molded.

20. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    But the mold(s) could be permanently lost in a factory fire or natural disasters.