What are the chances of more convention exclusive molds getting a mass release?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ganjibal Vendef, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Ganjibal Vendef

Ganjibal Vendef Well-Known Member

Sofar Hasbro has made all the seekers which were formerly exclusive toys to have a general release. However whats stopping them from using other exclusive molds like the pre-animal form Beast Wars exclusives. I mean take Axalon Megatron for example he's using Cybertron Vanguard Red Alert's body. Since G2 apparently isn't off limits for RTS he could very easily be made into an Ultra Size figure as a G2 Megatron homage with the day-glo green and purple. Axalon Optimus could also be painted in one of the assorted G2 color schemes like Laser Rod Optimus or Hero Optimus.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Never again.

The only reason why the Botcon seekers are getting a release was because Hasbro listened to us and our demand for the new seekers after they thought they wouldn't make more Classics.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Seekers are a special case. Those were toys that were made for the convention solely on the assumption that the Classics line would be a short filler line before the first movie and that it wouldn't be revisited in the future. With the return and subsequent re-return of the line, though, Hasbro clearly decided to put out those three characters that got the Botcon treatment. The fact that Takara Tomy had made their own versions likely helped Hasbro come to that decision, too.

And for the record Hasbro did not release the Botcon molds. They used the Takara Tomy versions. No convention exclusive remold has ever been made available for public sale, nor will one ever be made available. The specific moldings are done for the limited run of convention toys and that's it.

4. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was under the impression that Hasbro owns the molds and the Botcon crew simply requests available molds and then creates an exclusive deco/head mold. All the while knowing full well that Hasbro has the rights to release whatever molds they see fit whenever they see fit. The seekers/coneheads really were a no brainer given the number of repaints. On the contrary, an obscure mold using an even more obscure/exclusive head mold is not really an option.

5. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

I doubt they'd re-release convo exclusive figures again. Characters maybe, but I doubt they'd use the same molds, especially given that the coneheads technically weren't re-releases of the same Botcon figures, just of the characters.

6. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    nope...the botcon thrust wing mold were made just for the thrust version of botcon and were destroyed afterwards...

that came out from one of the botcon threads a year or so ago...

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Replace 'head' from my original post with 'wings' from your post and you'll see we are talking about the same thing. What is Hasbro's belongs to Hasbro, what is Fun Publications is Fun Publications. Except when Hasbro wants to take a character created by FP and use it in their own canon. :) 

8. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Yeah, you have to remember that Classics came out is '06, Games of Deception in '07 expected to be it for the Classics line. With new molds being introduced in the Universe line along with the Henkei line in Japan, changed how thing were going for this "Classics" styled line.

Also, it took 3 and a half years. What was planned in '07 can easily be changed by the time 2010 comes around.

9. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    The wings FP designed, the rest of the mold is all HasTak. FP had to request to use the seeker mold in the first place, which is why they were shot done last year for AM Thundercracker. Hasbro was already using it to give us the rest of the seekers in Generations.

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I don't think we'll be seeing any more con exclusives getting mass retail releases.

It's one thing to give the Seekers a mass retail release, since we all wanted to complete our Classics Seekers collection, but it's completely another thing to give all other con exclusives the same retail treatment.

11. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ahem.... no club exclusive mold has ever been mass released ofcourse the molds that are just repaints like thundercracker can be released but none of the exclusive headsculpts or other molded parts.

Now on to the characters we saw listings for alpha trion and also a head resculpt for scourge many have guessed will be leozack a while back we also saw listings for apelinq

i also wonder weather we are gonna get a weirdwolf seen as though we have got mindwipe, highbrow and hardhead I personally think we may see a dreadwing at some point but only time will tell at the end of the day there is no use buying a toy as an investment just buy what you like

Here are the character i think stand a chance of a main release
    Sharkticons
    Dreadwing
    Slicer
    g2 sideswipe
    leozack
    sweeps
    razorclaw
    Deszaras
    Pyro (if hasbro does wreckers)

Done
    Goldbug (done in legends not sg)
    Scourge
    elita 1
    Thundercracker
    Dirge
    thust
    Blurr
    Banaitron
    Jazz (not sg)
    Huffer (doen in powercore)
    springer (target 2 pack)
    Overkill (done a special edition)
    Ironhide
    Ratchet
    Fallback
    Mega zarack (sort of dark scorponock)
    Universe sideswipe and sunstreaker (kind of done lol)

12. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I can always hope for a reissue of the Botcon Beast Wars cast set from 2006 during it's 20th anniversary. What am I thinking? A MP version of Autobot Spike has a greater chance of happening.

13. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    It all depends on the fig, I think. I'm honestly of the opinion that something like Dreadwind could possibly come out, and still be the Classics Jetfire mold. Given that the G2 stuff was probably something that wouldn't have been done by Hasbro at all, I think that's the only reason they went ahead and let it happen. And the reason Hasbro shot down AM Thundercracker is because they intended to release Gen Thundercracker.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Those listings that you refer to were shot down as fake.

Also, you seem to be under the impression that if Botcon gets a character, it won't happen again elsewhere. That's never the case. Botcon has the exclusive mold / deco combination. The Botcon Seekers are the great exception, and technically, they're still exclusives. What you've got in Generations are a domestic release of the Henkei Seekers.

I'd not rule out new toys of guys like Weirdwolf or Dreadwind. But they won't be redecos of Cybertron Snarl or Classics Jetfire. They'll use different toys, or be new molds. Hasbro have said in the past and I know the design team well enough to know this will always stand, they respect the exclusive releases and won't intentionally go ahead and make the same toys for mass retail. The Seekers are the exception, and it has taken years for it to happen. Don't expect it to happen again, because I cannot see a similar situation ever occurring again.