What Are The Best Transformers Stories?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Optimus Convoy, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Optimus Convoy

Optimus Convoy Well-Known Member

What are the best Transformers stories? All from the comics and TV shows. I know majority mentioned the best stories are More Than Meets The Eye, Robots In Disguise, Last Stand Of The Wreckers, The War Within and All Hail Megatron. Also the 1986 Transformers the Movie, "War Dawn" and "The Return Of Optimus Prime" episodes from the G1 tv show. "Code Of Hero" from Beast Wars. And I agree all these were great.

To me i'll also add Transformers: Prime was a good show. What else is good story being told from the Transformers comics and episodes from the any of the shows?

2. GuardianPrime19

GuardianPrime19 Prime

News Credits:
    While it's not from a show I feel like Fall of Cybertron had an amazing story. Following the Autobots last ditch attempts to leave Cybertron, while the Decepticons are in the middle of a leadership crisis is just great storytelling

• Like Like x 1
  3. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Most people really hate AHM. I like it, but most don't. I also wouldn't consider IDW's MTMTE good beyond season 1, and everything titled RID ranges from OK to terrible. I also wouldn't include TFP or the Return of OP. I do agree with War Dawn, TFTM, Code of Hero, and LSOTW. Don't remember War Within well enough to pass judgment.

As for what I'd add, I was going to do into detail, but if we're including individual episodes/multiparters, there's too many to count. BW's Transmutate, and The Agenda. All of BM. TFA, Even without all it's loose threads tied up, has a strong main story. Episodes like Thrill of the Hunt, Along Came A Spider, A bridge Too Close, Transwarped, Predacons Rising, and End Game I recall being particularly good. IDW's SOTW was pretty good too.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  4. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Cramp from Transformers Armada is my favorite story/episode told.

Also...
    - Code of Hero from Beast Wars
    - The rest of Beast Wars but Code of Hero is the BEST
    - More Than Meets the Eye, War Dawn, and the 86 Movie from G1
    - War for Cybertron
    - Fall of Cybertron
    - Darkness Rising from Prime
    - All of Cybertron
    - All of Animated

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I always point to Warrior School from the Marvel Comics as one of the best examples of what Transformers "is", at least to me. It's about an Autobot, far from home, trying to make sense of his surroundings with his new human friends. At the same time, the Decepticons are thriving, and bringing ruin to the good guys while they plot the next malicious step. Ratchet finds out, and is too late to do much of anything, but there's still hope. Ratchet, an Autobot with no combat skills to speak of, has to stand up to one of the strongest Decepticons alive. And he does his best, fights bravely, but he's no soldier, but when it all seems hopeless, he starts thinking, takes a desperate gamble, and turns the tide, even if doing so seems to set him up for an even greater fall down the road.

That, to me, was always the most important part of the Autobots: They weren't all soldiers and warriors, they were artists, scientists, dreamers and workers, who didn't necessarily choose to go to war, but nevertheless had to for their own survival and the defense of their ideals. How that shaped them, and how that gave them room to grow as characters in that operatic setting was always something I felt set the Transformers apart from, say, GI Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

From G1:
    The Movie
    Webworld

The Beast Era in its entirety.

CRID:
    Sky-Byte Saves The Day!

Armada:
    Starscream's Arc

Prime:
    Darkness Rising
    Stronger, Faster

RID15
    Rumble in the Jungle
    Adventures in Bumblebee-sitting
    Sideways
    Some Body, Any Body
    Misdirection

7. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

Beast Machines, bar none. It typifies everything I seek in a story, and truly is the real "aimed at teens-adults" Transformers cartoon. Beast Machines was tackling heavy subject material before the word "genocide" was even considered for usage as a cheap buzzword in Combiner Wars--genocide actually means something in BM.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Absolutely. I was never a fan of Starscream until Armada made him a character and gave him an arc.

To add on: Code of her. I don't need to elaborate any more on that end.

For G1 I would say War Dawn for developing Prime's character and expanding on the universe. And although I haven't seen it for a while I remember Burden hardest to bear from season 3 being enjoyable for showing Rodimus coming to terms with his new responsibilities.

9. gregles

gregles quintesson

This is a surprisingly difficult question to answer in an absolute way as there is loads of different formats such as TV shows, movies, comics, books and video games all with different strengths, limitations, expectations and judged on different criteria.

in this franchise the TV shows and movies tend to rely on action set pieces and charmingly eccentric character driven stuff rather than deep or ambitious story arcs. Things have progressed a little since the G1 days which was mostly self contained episodes with little continuity consistency with only occasional multi part story arcs but since things like beast wars, animated and prime have started to at least care more for the story consistency and make the story arcs slightly deeper. Despite the flaws and improvements in the shows I just mentioned I still have a lot of affection for the stories even though they are pretty un-ambitious and more of an afterthought and excuse to get robots fighting in cool fight scenes but they are pretty hard to reccomend as stories.

I would say the comic format is currently slightly better suited to telling more in depth stories with character development, mysteres and in depth world building. I'm not saying everything that marvel, dreamwave and IDW have put out is superior by default as they have all put out some awful stuff during their times but the comic format coupled with the fact they are less directly tied with toy releases and kids TV censorship rules means if they have a suitably talented creative team on their side they can potentially put out more ambitious stories.

Idw seems to me to have put out the best comic stuff with LSOTW and mtmte being obvious answers. I know MTMTE has made mistakes such as the self indulgent personality ticks and swearth issue but when at its best such as Shadowplay, elegant chaos, Megatrons trial, remain in light, overlords escape issue, all scavengers issues, fortress Maximus's hostages issue and the resent season 2 finale not much else in the franchise comes close in terms of ambitious and creative storytelling.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  10. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

Last Stand of the Wreckers and the first season of MTMTE.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    For me, TF:TM, Five Faces of Darkness, The Rebirth, all of Beast Wars & Beast Machines, Furman's Marvel UK work, seasons 2 & 3 of Animated.

12. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That sounds cool. I must look it up.

Something i really do like is The Story of Wheelie, the Wild Boy of Quintesson (with the bonus of Earl Norem's art). This is Wheelie's backstory to me.

13. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

I'd be inclined to say the entirety of Transformers: Prime, the Transformers: War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron video games, both seasons of Transformers More Than Meets The Eye, the entirety of Beast Wars, "More Than Meets The Eye", "S.O.S. Dinobots", "War Dawn", "Starscream's Brigade", "The Revenge of Bruticus", the 1986 movie, "The Five Faces of Darkness", "Webworld", "Dark Awakening", "Call of the Primitives", and, in spite of all its faults, "The Return of Optimus Prime", simply because it provided a good ending for the series.

14. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of everything I've seen, Beast Machines, chunks of Beast Wars and Animated, the G2 comics and possibly the War Within saga.

15. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Both of those games stories were fantastic. I retconned it into my g1

16. Large

Large Currently blablabla.

News Credits:
    I really can't answer that with, like, just 2 or 3 stories, without adding one more, and one other, and very soon it'll be a list of 10 or 12, which is kinda not a very nice answer.
    I applaud those who solely picked one story, as their favorite, their best one. Their definitive. Such as Warrior School or all of Beast Machines. That is a cool answer. And a difficult one.

I love the Beast series, I love Animated. Sunbow has my innocent heart for eternity and good portions of both Marvel i still do like very much. There is Scioli... Nick Roche... MTMTE (yes, 95% of it, mind you). And of course the stories i created in my bedroom with the few toys I had back then. Mixed with some Master of Universe and whatnot. Oh, those were great stories.

But just one. Ok.

I think my personal favorite, which I'll labell "best", is Chaos Theory by Roberts/Milne/Lafuente for IDW.
    I could go on the whys I think it's great etc... And I know it's a story trap in the middle of a larger one but at the same time... It works on its own. The flashbacks of course, but also the present scenes. I read them with any Optimus and Megatron I knew all those years and it worked. Remakably. And that is why i remember being very moved while reading it.
    Like a comics i was waiting for many years. And it delivered.
    Foremost, i felt proud. I wanted to share it. In fact, I did, once I read MTMTE #02. "Guys, there's something going these times with Tfs books and I want to talk to you about it..."
    Some years later I have friends, close ones and not so much, who didn't know squat or cared about Transformers who now read it, enjoy it, are curious about it, and even tried some other things TFs related.
    And it all began with Chaos Theory.
    Yup, that is my best.

17. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

I'd agree with that, for me 'Warrior School/Repeat Performance' was the pinnacle of the US Marvel run. The story, the art and the tone were all on point.

A favourite of mine was 'Man of Iron'. It was early on in the UK Marvel run and the TF Universe was still being shaped so it drew from B movie sci-fi schlock more than anything. It really captures the out of this world wonderment and fear that people felt from this alien race, and it showcased Jazz as a special agent. Other UK stories of note are 'Target 2006' 'Dinobot Hunt' and 'Time Wars'.

Episodes that I'd recommend for their story are Beast Wars 'Code of Hero' 'Transmutate' 'Proving Grounds', and from Animated 'Predacons Rising' and the feature length premiere.

18. Rad McAwesome

Rad McAwesome New Member

Twitter:
    I feel ashamed of myself as a gamer and Transformers fan that I have not yet played Fall of Cybertron. I played War for Cybertron and loved it, though I'm just now getting back into the fandom about a long hiatus. I may try to find the game tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

I loved both WFC and FOC.

I highly recommend it. The story was a blast.

20. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    While I personally feel that WFC is the better of the two, Fall of Cybertron is still a fantastic game.

• Like Like x 1