What are the best Animated charactors? (I'm gonna' try) UGH!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LifePincher, Feb 4, 2009.

1. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

I'm a G1 slut and I've been an ass recently on the boards backtalking Animated. I want to "TRY" and like Animated toys, I really do.

If a few people here could give me an example on which are the best, I'll pick 1-2 up and tell you what I think.

Just list multiple one's that I may currently find at a WalMart and what the cost would be on each.

Thanks

2. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Well, I can't really help you on the cost part, what with Taiwan a) not having Wal-Mart and b) not using the American dollar, but out the Animated figures I bought, I'd say the following would be the best and most enjoyable:

1) Cybertron Mode Prime - I just like the overall look of the figure so much more than any of the Earth mode ones, and he has some serious shelf-presence despite his smaller size.

2) Voyager Bulkhead - again, despite the size, a great figure. He has two nifty gimmicks that in no way interfere with the toy's poseability (or playability, depending on what you do with your figures) and looks much more like the cartoon model than the Leader version.

3) Voyager Grimlock - if you can ignore the gaping hole in his Dino-mode chest, and somewhat limited arm-articulation, he really is the best Grimlock to come out. He's big, looks intimidating (despite the cartoonyness of Animated's designs) and just generally gives a 100% Grimlock vibe.

and of course, my favourite figure in my Animated collection, hand's-down:

4) Deluxe Swoop - He's Swoop with a gigantic mace of flaming death - 'nough said.

3. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Deluxe Prime, Grimlock, Swoop. Leader Megs is a cool figure too.

But that Roadbuster Magnus is THE UGLIEST TRANSFORMER I have seen in a while. I will buy him when he is on clearance for a custom though.

4. MEGAMAN X FAN

MEGAMAN X FAN Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    animated jazz is nice aside from the nunchuck weapons and cybertron mode optimus is pretty good to because he looks different from other optimus's so he doesnt feel like a straight rehash

5. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    if ur trying to like animated, heres ones to stay away from at first........blitzwing, any cybertron mode megs, bumblebee, and the bulkheads, and after seeing ur posts id advise to stay away from starscream. i think you should go for ultra magnus

6. inferno4565

inferno4565 Master of Mudkips

When I first saw the Animated pics of the series I wanted to throw a brick at whoever came up with the idea but the figures and series took me over pretty quick. I've been collecting them from the get go. My top 5 I recommend are:

1) Grimlock (Voyager)
    A fun figure. Definitely something I've played around with a lot. Grimlock is pretty accurate with his look and the talking jaw is also a fun feature. I would also recommend the other 2 dinobots to go with the leader yes?

2) Optimus Prime (Voyager)
    Didn't pick up the Supreme Optimus till later but this Optimus is really good. Has a lot of pose potential and also has a decent amount of cool gimmicks and weapons. The Deluxe Cybertron mode is alright as well.

3) Blackarachnia
    I picked her because she has a cool look and can be set up in a lot of cool poses.

4) Lockdown (Normal, Blazing or Stealth)
    My favorite character had to be on here. A fun figure in my opinion.

5) Ultra Magnus
    A large figure, definitely worth the purchase. His alternate mode is awesome and the sculpt for this figure is awesome. Magnus also has a cool weapon in my opinion.

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Voyager Prime (if you can get one without loose shoulders)
    Voyager Grimlock
    Voyager Shockwave (don't have personal experience with him..yet, but he looks awesome)
    Deluxe Blurr
    Leader Megatron
    Deluxe Oil Slick
    Deluxe Swoop
    Jetfire and Jetstorm

8. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    Figures to get
    Deluxe Swoop- very poseable figure and looks awesome in the poses too
    voyager Shockwave/Longarm Prime- the gimmick is really "wow" but the figure itself is still awesome as hell
    Deluxe Cybertronian Mode Optimus- just an awesome figure that differs from all other Primes
    Deluxe Blurr- hes just too awesome to not be mentioned here

Figures to stay away from
    Deluxe Ratchet- just kinda crappy
    Deluxe Swindle- the arms suck and suck badly
    Deluxe Lockdown- yea hes tall but he lacks some good posability especially in the legs

9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I can agree with these.

Can't really agree with these though. Ratchet isn't really bad, he just has nothing that stands out.

Swindle is great, minus some thigns that are kinda looseish on him.

And Lockdown...why is he all of a sudden getting so much undeserved hate? I remember when everyone was all over how awesome he was. Poseability issues? The only thing I can think of as a downside on that front are his knees.

10. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

Definitely the best ones to get are Leader Megatron and Ultra Magnus(if you're willing to spend a little cash). Hands down the best figures in the line.
    Voyager: Optimus, Grimlock, and Shockwave(for reasons stated above)
    Deluxe: Blurr is completely awesome. Swoop and Jazz are also fantastic figures as well. Extremely posable, fun to play with, and a great look to them.

11. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I wasn't into the Animated aesthetic at first, and some figures I'm STILL not feeling. but there are a few that I've found are wholly worthwhile:

1. Leader Megatron - This is probably the BEST Megatron we've ever gotten. PERIOD. He's imposing in size, he looks regal and powerful, he SCREAMS G1 Megs without being a completely slavish homage, he pulls off the fusion canon pose better than ANY Megatron I've seen, and just about any pose you put him in looks like it's a stance Megatron would take. The swords are icing. He also doesn't look nearly as out of place next to other lines as some of the other Animated characters. He WILL take over your Decepticon shelf.

2. Cybertron Optimus Prime - This guy is awesome... not just for how he looks or poseability, but in the time they took to make him so utterly COMPLETE. His axe and shield would be entirely allowable to be removed and re-pegged for his transformation... just about any other figure would do that. But with Cybertron Optimus, if you Transform him, his axe and sword are PRECISELY where they should be when you're done. It's LITERALLY a perfect transformation. He's also loaded which character. I love the little guy.

3. Prowl - The BEST bikeformer ever made. Without question. I'd hold off and get the Samurai armor version though.

Those are the three MUST GETS. There are others that are excellent... Voyager Optimus, for instance, or the Dinobots... but if any figures will sell you on the line, it'll be those three. If they don't do it for you, you won't like anything else the line has to offer.

12. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I'd definitely pick up Blurr first for the Deluxes. A really great figure.

Ultra Magnus is an excellent figure for the Leaders, though you'd probably want to stay away from that if you're just testing the waters of Animated. I haven't been too impressed with the Voyagers aside from Grimlock (though Wreck Gar looks to be a nice addition.)

13. AMG

AMG Old School

Leader Class Megatron. Around $40.

I grew up with G1, and from that point of view this toy is amazing. It totally embodies the character of Megatron and is a must own IMO.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Personally I hated the designs of Animated and everything I heard about the series before it started. I gave the series a chance and it grew on me. The toys, on the other hand, I was even more sceptical about, but after I saw Leader Megatron in person, I had to get him. I was blown away by how awesome he was. After that, it was a steady decline into buying more. However, I think personal taste plays an abnormally large role (compared to past lines) on which figures you'll like. So, if there's one figure that's really standing out to you, try that one.

I'd suggest if you're only going to get one, get Grimlock ($19.76 or whatever the size class is going for now). Then based on that, you can decide where to go from there.

While it probably can't be helped, you're choosing a pretty crappy time to try Animated. Most of the earlier waves are harder to find now and there's been a price increase at Wal-mart recently. Additionally the past 4 months there were $5 off coupons floating about that expired last week. That made it easier for a lot of us to get Animated with larger figures $5 off and deluxes at $7.77 for the past few months.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    two I would strongly suggest are blurr and shockwave.

I cannot imagine anyone disliking either of these figures. I can't leave them alone, and I've owned them for several weeks.

16. night-skyward

night-skyward Collects animated, mainly

Its too hard for me. I love all my animated figures so far. The only ones i don't like are voyager bulkhead and deluxe cybertron mode megatron.

And am i seriously the only person who likes leader bulkhead better then the voyager?

17. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    They are all awsome in my opinion. I love the Dinobots & Jazz

The ones I would pass on are Bumblebee (wait for Hydrosurge version) Bulkhead (both not accurate) and the crappy repaints.

18. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd suggest Voyager Optimus, Grimlock, Jazz, Ultra Magnus and Starscream.

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Grimlock is awesome. Very close in style to the G1, but with some fun extras. I'd say that for me he is my absolute favourite in the line.

Ultra Magnus is also awesome, though probably a bit out of the price range that you'd be looking at.

20. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Leader Megs
    Leader Ultra Magnus
    Voyager Grimlock
    Deluxe Jazz