"What are the aspects you look for in a review?"

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Feb 12, 2009.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Hey TFW users, I have another one of my infamous questions, and before hand to everybody that I piss off on a daily basis I apologize if this thread some-how: offends you, bothers you, makes you horny, makes you need a drink, or makes you constantly vomit for some non-known reason what-so-ever but honestly I dont care. This being said I have another question for TFW users.
    What are the aspects you look for in a review?

- TheDemonDzko

2. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Photo reviews:
    Clear pics
    Size comparison next other common related character/toy

Videos:
    Articulation

Spoken/written review:
    Cover all the basic points of the figure.
    Maybe give insight on an overlooked feature or talk about the character a toy represents, even speculation.

I'm not that picky, as long as it's an honest effort and a good toy.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Clear Image (Pics or video)

Good steady Sound (no phones going off, babies crying, dogs barking, other people talking, TV in the background.)

No noisy backgrounds (Doesn't have to be a lightbox, but don't do it in front of your tie dye poster or with your Transformer collection on the shelves behind you.)

Solid lighting (I don't want to have to struggle to make it out)

Conciseness (Don't spend 3 minutes just looking at an alt mode commenting on how fitting it is or spend an entire paragraph talking about the characters evolution to his current alt mode. Either I know, or I don't care.)

Demonstrate all the features in both modes. (What are they? Do they work? Do they work in both modes?)

Articulation.

Transformation Difficulty (Picture reviews only, is it finnicky, intuitive?)

Are there any faults? (Does a piece not tab into place? Does a peg not firmly fit in? Is some part left to gravity to stay in place? Can he use his weapons or don't they fit into his hands?)

Rehearse (Video Reviews Only. Make sure you remember how to Transform it before you shoot the video!)

Value. This one is incredibly subjective, but how much does it retail for? Do you feel it's worth that price? Should we get it at full price, or wait for a sale on it? Should we run out to the stores to buy it or if we happen to see it and be jonesing for a TF should we consider it?

4. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They have a well informed review and don't do crazy shit.

5. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    i think as far as a video review goes, peaugh and mike do a good job. And as pictoral reviews go, blitzwing on tformers.com does a good job as well.

6. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't watch video reviews ever since the whole Sean Long debacle, so for picture reviews:
    -Clear or HiRes images
    -Comparisons to other like figures (size and even previous incarnations)
    -Full transformation process, like a pictorial of the directions
    -Articulation points
    I'd actually like for a reviewer to put the figure next to a ruler so an actual size can be given.

7. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    exactly what i was thinking and less talking about stuff not related...quick short to the point. i like the size comparison to tformers of different series..and i expecially like the ruler comparison.

8. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Written:
    Clear pictures with good lighting
    Size comparisons to a figure that most fans have.
    Small description of the articulation
    Some posing shots

Video:
    Claer video with good lighting and no blurr
    No cheesy music or intro (Unless it's simple)
    Reviewer BEHIND the camera (or to the side offscreen)
    No fooling off into a wonderland with no coming back. (Does not apply to Vange1us)
    size comparisons
    Some posing shots
    Demonstration of gimmicks

9. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    Honestly, I think that they're are too many video reviews. Omegus, Vangelus, and Peaugh are really they only guys I'll watch a video review from, becuase they (mostly) fill the qualifications; Good lighting, production value, clear views of the figure, transformation, and alt mode, good points, bad points, and a sense of humor.

I tend to look more at photo reviews. Plenty of clear pics, well written reviews free of crap like LOL and IMO, close ups of any flaws in the figure, and if the figure interacts with another toy, I want to see that interaction. When I finally got Armada Jetfire, Overload, and Prime it took me forever to find a review that showed me how to put them together.

10. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

I've not been around this site for long...what happened with that situation? Someone care to enlighten?

11. {Ragna}Rokwave

{Ragna}Rokwave Active Member

Truth be told, I mostly watch Vangelus or Peaugh unless I really want to see a figure that neither of them has reviewed, but there are a few pet peeves that make be hit the back button instantly.

-If the review is over ten minutes long for a single figure (unless some prior knowledge warrants this to be so)

-If the reviewer starts out with an overview of the packaging.

That second one really gets to me, because there are only very specific times when the packaging is relevant, such as if it is a more collectible figure that doesn't offer the standard packaging. Even then, it would be much more effective to take good, clear photos of the packaging and link to a photobucket of said pictures in the video description.

I've seen people review standard Hasbro box art and tech specs in great detail, which always struck me as odd, seeing as anyone about to pick up the figure in the store could inspect the box to their heart's content without even purchasing the figure.

12. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I do not really care for the videos. I like lots of clear pics.

13. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Hmm, for photo reviews: clear pics, cool poses, and reviewer pros and cons.
    Video reviews: articulation and pros and cons.