What are some people thinking in the Junkion forums?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Knightdramon, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Here's a thought that's been cultivated in my head for the past few weeks. Please do not see this as negative feedback or anything, I'm more than rooting for the buy\sell forums on this boards and have met some truly incredible sellers there.

[For all intents and purposes, no-one will be named or referred to by username]

The latest "wave" of buyers are probably not completely in terms with what they're buying. I've seen people asking an 80% cut of a FAIR sale price and act as if they should never pay more than that. Examples:

People actually trying to justify that paying 90 SHIPPED for city commander armour+ Classics Magnus + launchers is okay versus the reasonable 170 shipped. The city commander armour alone costs 75 USD, dude.

People trying to correct the seller saying that a Crystal Henkei Convoy should not go for more than 40 USD and 30 for an open one. Seriously, show me one place in the US that has the regular Convoy for less than 35 USD without any sale going on and I'll attempt to justify that price. But 40 USD for a limited convention exclusive item? What's next, BT Black Convoy costing no more than 40 USD?

People that never bother to reply to reasonable pms. A couple of days ago I inquired prices for some figures I wanted from a sale thread, the guy was quick to reply and gave me a shipping estimate. I kindly asked to verify the price and weight the figures at a post office [was going to purchase them], two days later no replies and I see in his thread that he sold some of the aforementioned figures. Way to go. All I needed was a final shipping confirmation to pay the cash.

People that offer fair prices, give off a shipping address and expect you to ship the items first and pay when they receive them. With around 5 posts in the boards total. Are you serious? Have they actually purchased from many online stores that allow you to do that?

And finally, the SHIPPED prices. Dudes, really, not everybody lives in the US. If an item costs say 25 USD and I have to ship it from Europe to the US, think how ridiculous it sounds to ask for a 30 USD shipped price.

In the past few months I've come to terms with people that refuse to ship outside the states because for every 10 of those guys, there's this great guy that will do it. But I've slowly seen why some members were adamant about selling their botcon 07 sets with a fixed price. I can only imagine what sort of lowball offers they received.

Have something to comment\add? Write away!

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Nothing negative to add, just some support for some of your statements:

Last year I picked up two Alternators Ravage toys for guys on this board. They cost me around €25 each if I recall correctly, which translates to more than $30USD per toy. Then came the shipping costs. I underestimated them so I had to ship the toys in crappy, barely protected packaging. (The toys still arrived intact, although the packaging was crushed.)

If I recall correctly, I gave the total costs per toy as a little over $60 (adding a few bucks extra to cover my own expenses). But I underestimated the PayPal fee, so... I barely turned out even.

With more than $60 for a toy that originally cost $20 at US retail.

This is not a rant. The members I sold the toys to did not complain. This is just meant to give you people some perspective what to expect when buying from Europe.

(Meanwhile, those purchases I made from people in the USA? Nothing but awesome. I always added a little tip, and still paid about as much as it would have cost me to buy the same toys at local retail. That's how weak the dollar was, and probably still is.)

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'm pretty new here, just joined a couple weeks ago, and I've already bought quite a few Classics from people here. I don't think I've ripped anyone off, certainly not intentionally. And I personally try not to, I let them name their price, maybe shaving off a few bucks since I'm covering shipping anyway (and the OCD, I'm a stickler for a price ending as a whole dollar amount in increments of 5s).

No one's obliged by any means to sell to me if they feel a certain price is unfair on their part. And that's fine. Let me know and I'll easily compensate for, well... dealing with the post office. It's really no trouble at all.

Basically, it's me wanting something that someone else has. And I want to do everything I can to get that and have the whole exchange be a satisfactory experience for both of us, in case we make another exchange in the future.

($70 for a City Commander set would be pretty nice though, ahaha.)

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Stop imagining.
    I had someone offer me $110 SHIPPED for my Botcon 2007 box set. To put that in perspective - not only is it a pathetic lowball offer, but sending the Botcon 06 set to the US from the UK cost me damn near $150. So I would have basically been literally giving the most sought after Botcon set away. Screw that. What was more insulting was that the guy who offered me it was a "heavy hitter" collecting-wise, who would have definitely known how much it was worth. Oh well; it's still sitting on my shelf.
    Also, NEVER include shipping. I found this out the hard way with the aforementioned BC06 set. The money I got for it got me out of trouble with the bank, but the shipping costs put me right back IN trouble with them.
    This is why I'll probably never bother selling in Junkion again.

5. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    The USD is pretty strong now compared with was it was like 2-3 months ago ($1 = 4.6Dkk, now $1= 6Dkk compared with the Euro €1= 7.45Dkk). The days of buying cheap from the US are gone atm.

The most annoying parts I've experienced is when you have a buyer and they tell you to keep the figure on hold for a couple of days, and when the time comes to pay, they bail out of the deal and you end up with a figure which other people had asked on, but you turned them down for the moment because of the "hold".

That's why I now never hold items for more than 3 days, with the pure execption of people if know and have done business with before - them I'll gladly hold items for a month well knowing they'll complete the deal.

Also I'm tired of people who aren't reading your sales... e.g questions about shipping costs, when I clearly advertise in my thread that shipping costs are listed at the end.

6. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still have an occasional urge to put a sale thread up there, but nowadays it's pretty half assed. I know most of people don't want to pay expensive international shipping. I more or less only deal with people I know from previous friendly transactions.

I have received some "lowball" offers before, but I just replied that I wasn't thinking of selling it for the half of the price I was asking, thank you have a good day.

From a buyer's point of view, I hope there's at least reserve price mentioned in sale threads, otherwise I am too scared to make an offer.

7. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hahahahaha - man, when you were talking about lowballers in your thread, I thought you were being oversensitive to like a $500-600 offer or something. I *never* would have guessed someone would have been saying $110. Hell, you can't even get the shitty 2005 set for near $110.

I get lowballers, and I know I've been considered a lowballer before too. Value is in the eye of the beholder, and I know that. I don't let it upset me. If someone makes me an offer I find unreasonable, it's cool. No need to get angry at people. I've spent hundreds on toys with a person, but the next item we don't agree on the price. So we pass on it, and maybe next time we'll be able to deal.

One of the largest problems with some sellers in the Junkion forums is they think their stuff is made of gold. Rare gold. With diamonds. They don't want to put a price on things because they want to "maximize" what they make. The easiest way around that is to do what I call "fill in the blank" when selling - "I'd happily sell this for $______". If that blank spot is $100 for Twin Twist, then so be it. Just know that you're very unlikely to sell it. In fact, you should probably not even try. I can't encourage sellers to put prices on things enough. I have to make myself do it constantly too, even though sometimes I have no idea what something is really worth. Filling in that sentence works though, every time. And remember - this ISN'T eBay.

I've been trying to find a Fox Kids TM Tarantulas. A seller wanted $75 for his. A few went on the board for around $15 (that I just missed out on). The 2 past auctions on eBay were for around $15. And there are several BIN cheaper than that (you know the ones - the eBay BIN prices that are there for months that never sell). I politely informed the seller, but never heard back. /shrug

And one of the largest problems with some buyers is they think everything should be handed to them. While personal value is subjective, there still is a market value to consider. Some sellers are willing to haggle, some are not. Their stuff isn't gold, but they don't have to sell a damn thing to you. Be polite with your offers. And for the love of god, quit shitting on people's threads. If you think someone has prices out of whack, send them a PM, and give them links proving your point. I've done it before, and had sellers thankful. I've had some ignore me. I've done it on things I'm not even interested in buying. But publicly doing it in the thread isn't the place, even if you're just trying to help out.

TL,DR; version:
    Sellers:
    -Put a price on EVERY THING.
    -Do some research on eBay / tfieds / here in the Junkion for an average price.
    -Sell cheaper than eBay. If you want eBay prices, sell it on eBay. If people want to pay eBay prices, they'd buy on eBay. eBay sells for more, but also has more fees and bullshit to deal with

Buyers:
    -Be polite
    -Do some research on eBay / tfieds / here in the Junkion for an average price.
    -Don't expect all buyers to care. Tell them thanks and move on if they don't like your offer
    -Don't make an offer way under what they want, especially if you have no evidence of it going for that price somewhere, and if you've never deal with them before
    -Stop thread crapping

Everyone:
    -Calm down, be polite, show some courtesy. It's just toys. Put yourself in the other persons shoes, and act accordingly.

As far as the "holding" items goes, I'm getting more and more that I won't hold items, unless it's something that I've had for a while that noone else has asked about, or I've dealt with the person before. Lots of time wasters.

And people like shipped prices. Hell, I like them. The main reason is because you'll have some sellers say the item is $10, then tell you they need $10 to ship it, when it's like a minicar or something (which can be done for $2-3 with a padded envelope and first class). US prices are easy to guesstimate most of the time. The problem with overseas, is because it varies so much, is that it usually requires an extra trip to the post office to get an accurate estimate, then to have the buyer back out. Now you've wasted even more time. And this goes both ways too. Or you risk making an estimate, only to find out it costs way more than you thought, you ship it since they've already paid, and the buyer doesn't care and you eat the extra shipping cost. Overseas shipping is tough, but if everyone is on the same continent, dealing with shipped prices makes things simpler.

8. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I look around for good deals, especially when a seller has a few things I want - it often will come out cheaper than eBay and even better with fair shipping. I also send a PM with my intent and ask how much shipping will be. Once I know that, I can tell 'em to bag it or to sell it to someone else.

Sometimes the prices are way above eBay; I've seen a lot of this with City Commander (it's already high enough via retail, nevermind someone trying to slip you an unlubed one in the secondary market) and plain ol' IN PRINT Deluxes selling for 10-11 before shipping, when I can drive 2 miles and get them for $7.77. There's just no need to crap on it, just hit the back button and check out what the next guy has to offer.

9. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    People sell and buy how they want to - I really don't see the need to put a thread like this up here.

If you don't like how someone is buying or selling then address it with them and move on to the next person - pretty simple. Just because you passed up an offer doesn't mean someone else will. Sorry to say, but it seems pretty selfish to say "conform to my buy/sell preferences", which is essentially what this thread is.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  10. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    My only real complaint is seeing US members post their loose current figures for prices higher than you would pay from any retail source, let alone ordering directly from HTS. Look, I know nobody likes the idea of losing money, but do you really think your opened TFTM Voyager Megatron is really worth $30 pre-shipped? YIKES. If my $2K computer depreciates in value the second I even take it out of Best Buy, what d'ya think your smudged shelfwarming Universe 2.0 Prowl is gonna do?

Insane.

As for being a buyer, I don't think I've ever been a lowballer because I've never really had to. If you search around, there are so many people there selling stuff at such great deals, I almost never haggle, not even on shipping. I love the exchange, it's been nothing but awesome for me.

11. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd have to agree. If you like the price, buy it... otherwise move on. Same goes for selling. Price it for what you would like to get, and if you get that price... awesome!

I personally don't like to see people posting in someone's sale thread, "wow, overpriced" or something like that. Again, move on if you don't like it... no need to comment on it as it really doesn't add anything to the thread.

My only junkion complaints are the US members who expect Canada Post shipping charges to be the same as USPS. Sorry, but they are not.

That and when you agree to buy and item from a seller for price X, and when you go to get payment information they say I can get more for it and change their mind. I know it is their choice to sell the item or not, but if you agree to it... argh.

12. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

If I had a dollar for every ridiculous, lamebrained, laughably unfair or insultingly lowball offer I ever got in the Junkion forums, I wouldn't need to trade in the Junkion forums.

I don't mind the hagglers, or the people who slap a justifiable offer on the table...but the people who are obviously trying to take advantage of me in the hopes I don't know any better just anger me.

I had one dude lowball me on four deluxe figures he wanted -- offering half of what I was asking, then spazzing out when I told him no...then when we finally settled on a more agreeable number, he asked me to add in another figure for free because he was "buying in bulk". With no additional payment or shipping, mind you. Just another figure because he was doing me a favor. That ended negotiations right then and there, forevermore.

Another dude asked me if I would be willing to open my MOSC figures and send them without packaging in order to save postage, which seemed like a reasonable enough request. I replied that I would be glad to, and he informed me that he would only be willing to pay me half of what I was asking for them, since they would no longer be unopened. That was also a "haha deleted." moment.

But those sorts of incidents are forgettable and harmless compared to people who scheme and plot and steal your stuff without any intention of ever sending their half of a trade deal. I hate that crap -- dishonest traders have cost me many hundreds of dollar's worth of figures and games over the years thanks to my overly trusting nature. :throw 

13. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Suggestion #1: If a seller is willing to haggle, they should say so. If they're not willing to haggle, they should say that too.

Suggestion #2: If you're working with a seller that is willing to haggle, go by the rule I learned when I traveled to Ecuador a few years ago. Never offer to pay less than 75% of what the seller is asking. Anything less is an insult.

In other words, if they're asking $100, don't offer to buy for less than $75. If the seller doesn't like your offer, they have the option of making a counter-offer. In our hypothetical example, the seller might come back with a price of $90. And you can go back and forth.

Suggestion #3: If you're going to haggle, be ready to buy/sell from/to the other party once a price is settled. Don't waste time.

These are just suggestions from an outsider - I don't think I've ever done business on Junkion before. I could be wrong. I have a poor memory.

14. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Actually your new PC drops more in value than your Prowl figure, because there's a whole other issue with selling a new untouched PC than a toys - there are warrenty swapping questions etc. If you buy some brand new hardware and wanna resell it you wont get retail price but 10-15% below. People will still prefer doing the business with a store if they're to pay the same.
    Also with a TF you can buy it let it be sealed. After six months you can sell it 50% more expensive, 1 year later 100% more expensive... you can't do that with PC hardware ;) 
    The thing with TF's is (even brand new) is that they don't get cheaper with time passing, quite on the contrary. That's why I'm always low on cash, because I know if I'll postpone the purchase I'll end up paying more... TF distrubution is quite a problem in Scandinavia.

15. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone asked a friend of mine the same thing. The things that people ask are always amazing to me.

I had someone ask for a 55% discount for something I was selling when the figure was already in demand and priced fairly. Needless to say I didn't even respond to his post. Luckily some of my friends did.

16. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

I have to admit I have fallen into the "hold arsewipe" sometimes. I find something I want and talk to my wife who usually says "ok on payday" then when it rolls around "oh sorry but going to have to hold off. I feel deeply embarassed when this happens, sometimes I reply back but alot of times I feel like I disappoint a seller.

As for lowballing, if I feel if something gets sold for a certain value a couple of times, then a offer of that would be fine, but lower when its already gone down in price isn't fair.

17. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been selling on eBay for 10 years, but only recently in the Junkion. Most of the buyers I've interacted with have been stellar. A couple of things I feel strongly about, related to online TF selling in general, not necessarily Junkion-specific:

As a seller, I need to have a comprehensive, easy to understand, and descriptive layout of what I'm selling. Prices, payment methods, and shipping information need to be clearly stated and easy to understand. I need to be willing to move a bit on prices when someone is willing to buy quantity. I expect reasonable follow-through times for payment when a deal has been reached. I'll hold stuff for a few days, but if you let me down a couple of times, I won't hold things for you anymore.

The biggest complaint I have is unintelligible PMs or people asking how much something is when the price is clearly shown. These PMs, as well as lowball offers, just get deleted. Outside of that, I've had great experiences.

Plug! http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/items-sale-trade/197224-ams-ongoing-sale-thread.html

18. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    xZAOx pretty much covered my view of what buyer/seller etiquette should be in his summary.

I haven't received many lowball offers. I always price what I'm selling, and figure that at least gives people an idea of what I want, even before haggling begins. Do the folks receiving lowball offers post prices in their sale threads?

The most irksome thing I regularly experience is people who completely flake out on a transaction without communication. I don't have a problem with someone backing out of a transaction, even when the excuse is a transparent lie, I'd just like to know if I need to buy elsewhere or unmark held sale items.

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Haven't done any online selling here, but from other forums I've found it's best to:
    • Name your price. You know what sort of price you're after, so say so.
    • Add a little if you're open to haggling. Gives you some wiggle room before you're cutting into what you really want to get.
    • If possible, figure out your shipping costs in advance. Obviously a problem for international shipping, but you should have an idea for local.
    • Post good pictures and descriptions of your items, or expect to be flooded with "pics please" messages from people who aren't really interested.
    • And the best advice I've got: if someone wants you to hold, take a non-returnable deposit. I'll hold any item if someone pays me 10% of the price, and agrees a date the rest of the money will arrive. They pay on the date, item's theirs. They don't, I've got a couple of quid for nothing and they've learnt a valuable lesson.

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I think I tryed to sell one item here with no takers so I cant comment on that. I have bought alot of stuff here mainly G1. I know their value and dont lowball the ppl selling. I wont pay ridicules overprices though. If I wanted overprice there is ebay BINs. Most ppl here dont want to ship to europe and cant say I blame them, ppl has no paitent with their boxes and want is as cheap as possible. I see this tendensy on ebay aswell. Myself always go with atleast priority mail as it is trackable online to Sweden.

The only thing I sold on ebay was a superion with Silverbolt boxed and this member pm:s me and asks em to lower the value of the shipping that is baisiccly exact and to end the auction for him for $30. Yeah right..... man ppl have no shame.