Customs: What are some of the best digital cameras to get?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by payton34, Apr 21, 2009.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm growing increasingly tired of using my cell phone camera to take photos of my customs, and I've been greatly impressed with some of the shots that you guys produce.

What are some of the best cameras out there, but are fairly affordable at the same time ($200-225)? What's the most important thing to look for, how many megapixels, etc?

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I'd recommend the Canon elph. I've been using these for years, and feel they are great cameras.

Some important factors to consider:
    -Chargable battery
    -Macro setting
    -high resolution (though not too important)
    -ease of use
    -ease to set up "custom settings/presets/mode"
    -size
    -price

Prior to the Canon SD790 I picked up last week I used a Canon elph1100 SD, excellent camera (90% of the customs I've shot were with this camera) you'll be able to find one on ebay with a larger SD card for about $150 (sometimes free shipping)

The camera I've "upgraded" to is supposed to be much better, however the price was about $250 with the SD card.

Canon Digital Cameras

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=16718

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=16347
    good luck!

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I've used about 3 different ones so far on my customs--an old (2001) Kodak DX3500, a Nikon Coolpix 8700, and my current Kodak V570 (first dual lens digi-cam). They all take great pics, but these are just some suggestions on which types and brands might be good. I own these (with the exception of the Nikon--my sis owns that one), so I can only give an opinion on these. Good luck with whatever you get, man. Let us know when you decide, then tell us how you like it.

Here's what I think of each:

Kodak DX3500 ($300 originally, Amazon has one used for $50)- Great digital camera for its time and for just regular "general' pictures of your home, pets, family, birthdays, etc. It is only 2.2 megapixels, but it could take pretty good pics (and still does).

Review: Kodak DX3500

Nikon Coolpix 8700 ($999 originally, my sis got it as a gift from a close family friend--Amazon has them new for $360 and used for $275): Borrowed this camera from my sis and it's awesome, to say the least. It definitely had almost every option you could want or need, BUT it was pricey as hell and if you absolutely have no clue what you're doing, you'll either screw it up or take mediocre shots that a cheap digi-cam could take. A similar (more recent one) would work great for you, but again, they're up there in price.

Review: Nikon Coolpix 8700

Kodak V570 ($400 originally, bought this in late December '06/early January '07--Amazon has them new for $350, used for $330): My favorite and my current digital camera. This sucker is small, powerful, and has all the options you need for both home, vacation, fun, and even customs work like we do here. It has built-in video and audio, so you can record videos for your YouTube channel (if you have one), record video clips on vacation, or a family member's birthday or graduation. The videos look great, as do the pictures. It has (as it claims) the "world's first dual lens" which allows you to take the usual shots that you would with most digicams AND wide angle shots that get a lot more into the shot. It also has an option to do Panorama shots by merging (in-camera) 3 photos that you take--so let's say you have this digicam at the beach and want to take a long, panoramic shot of the beach and ocean.........this can do it--all you have to do is try to line up the pics you take--find a spot and take a shot, then take the next shot where the other ended and again with the last. Once they are merged (which doesn't take long), you'll see a cool "ultra wide" panorama shot that most cameras can't just point and shoot. I'll try to toss an image of my own from the beach I took one morning last September to show you. If you can find this camera or a more recent version, they are around your price range (maybe a bit more), but WELL worth it.

Review: Kodak V570

Gulf of Mexico (between Panama City Beach & Destin, FL) - Taken in September of 2008 (3 shots merged into one large panoramic one):

[​IMG]

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I personally have a Canon PowerShot A650 IS. I'm no expert with cameras or photography save for the basics, but I only picked up this camera because of a sale at Costco. The camera plus a Canon MP470 printer/scanner for $300. Seemed like a pretty sweet deal at the time. Wasn't until later that I realized how much of a bargain I happened upon (the camera alone barely goes for that price).

I don't know if I take the best quality pictures, but I at least know I take some pretty good ones without a light tent or anything. I like to think so anyway.

5. Conundrum

Conundrum Dabbler of the arts

Ebay:
    I echo sentiments of sticking towards the Canon, Nikon, or Kodak brand names. Sure, you're partly paying for the name, but it's worth it.

I personaly own a Nikon D80, expensive as hell, but it takes amazing photos.

But with you, browse different stores and see what you like. For me, buying a camera is very similar to buying a car. You want it to have just the right amount of features, easy to use, and hopefully last you a decent amount of years.

Try to pick up a camera that has a decent amount of different mode settings. If you're going to spend the money on a camera, make sure its good enough to take pictures of everything.

If possible, see if you can pick one up with the ability to change the Shutter Speed and Aperture. Being able to adjust the amount of light let in and the how fast the shutter closes can lead to some really awesome photos when used in conjunction with a light tent.

However, if you would have no idea how to use those settings or a camera with that is way too expensive, just pass on it. It's a nice option, but not neccessary.

6. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    I havent looked at point and shoot cameras in a long time. Back in 2001 I used to sell them when i worked at Bestbuy. I can tell you that Canon and Nikon are at the top. Sony isnt bad if you get around the proprietary garbage.

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Yeah, Cannon PowerShot and Samsung for me, all da way. :thumb  Casio's can be a lil pricier, but they have some good ones too.