Customs: What are some good (Cheap) sources for robotic parts?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Bottom Out, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

Hey guys, im interested in getting into the kitbashing side of things, but am interested in places that i can get some cheap robotic parts....either peices, or total transformers that arent going to be an arm and a leg (no pun intended lol) just incase i mess it up. I was going to try and make a VW GTI out of an alternator but they sell for 60 bucks a peice...im not going to take that risk on my first attempt :) 

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Junkers and KOs. Have a scan on Ebay, and poke around your cheapio shops for bootlegs.
    Look at it this way; if you can take a KO and make it look like a cool TF, you're on a winner already. If you make any mistakes, you've cost yourself a buck; and you can still use the fig to practice techniques on and use for spare parts anyway.

3. Bottom Out

thats exactly how i see it :) 

any key words to search for? Brand names or anything?

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Not really; generally the point of KOs is that they pretty much are no-name outfits.
    And due to Ebay currently cracking down on bootlegs, I don't fancy your chances much there. You could just do a general search for Transformers and robots to see what comes up.

As I said, I'd suggest having a trawl of dollar and thrift-type stores to see what turns up. Sometimes you'll turn up an absolute gem, other times you'll come up with nothing. Although for practice, even a crappy Gundam KO has potential value.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

The best place to find KO TFs for spare parts is if you have a decent Chinatown nearby. They tend to have better stuff than your average dollar store.

I also find it's usually much cheaper just to buy KO TFs in a Chinese gift shop than going through online sellers and dealing with shipping charges.

zmog

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Ah. See, I didn't think of that, because we tend not to be awash with Chinatowns round here... :p  I'm largely limited to online and pound shops.

7. Bottom Out

yea no chinatowns around here either, im going to check out some local stores like CVS and Walgreens and see what they have

8. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

this is my fav dealer http://myworld.ebay.com/chimungmung/

also big lots has been one of the best places. i have not found anything at walgreens lately but that can change any time. walgreens has a bunch of ko's around x-mas time.