what are ox designs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I've heard talk of some of the really cool g1 anime-influenced designs referred to as "ox designs", and I just noticed on the bottom corner of my 2010 reissue predaking the word OX after a bunch of japanese characters. I've tried looking it up on google and tfwiki to no avail. is it a designer's name or something else?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
  3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sweet. I woulda loved to see these robots. Always was mad the intro had better design and animation then the actual show. Though I hate anime humans so that element could have stayed.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Well, as the TF Wiki article states, the quality of Studio Ox's art varied greatly between highly detailed technical robots and bizarrely distorted anime robots that served as a direct inspiration for Pat Lee's marshmellow bots.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

thanks! I'd still like to know why a search for both "ox" and "ox design" didn't bring this up on the wiki site...

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I'd assume because "Ox" redirects to Car Robots Ox's US name, RID Ironhide, and "Ox designs" puts more emphasis on the word "designs" than on "Ox".

Doing a GOOGLE search on the Wiki, meanwhile, puts up the Studio OX article as the first result for both "ox" and "ox designs". Just type in "site:http://something.com keyword" into Google to do a website-specific search.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

^^ just tried that. wow, you learn something new every day. thanks!

8. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

ok...

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This article and other sources states the Studio OX models were used for the episode "Call of the Primitives". I'm pretty sure that's incorrect, as what appears on the screen matches up with the standard cartoon model sheets when examined in detail. The episode is loaded with a far-above-average amount of artistic license and anime-style idealism on the part of the animation crew however, applied in the form of more dynamic proportions and occasionally greater detail. I can see how that can be interpreted as using the more detailed and sometimes-painfully-stylized Studio OX designs, But I don't think the art actually matches up that way.

I may have to set up some comparison images to illustrate when I find the time.