What are "no tab" missiles?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ruination04, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    They're missing the trigger catch at the end. Without it, they can't lock in. Compare the very back, without the tab there, the trigger can't grab it to hold it against the spring, so it can't stay in the launcher.

3. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

i've never actually notice those before but from general spring loaded launchers, no tabs so the missiles cannot be stored in the launcher as ready to fire projectiles, if the cut off point is near where the tab used to be then the missile would just shoot from launcher once you let go, if the cut off is close to the 'war head' you might be about to store it in launcher w/out compressing the spring, but it'll just fall out on slightest tilt since there's no locking tab to hold the missiles.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  4. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, I see the missing tab spot, but is this some type of safety feature? From a reissue maybe?

5. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

looks like they were just broken. it would'nt make sense as safety feature unless the shaft is shorter and fatter to fit the launcher plug entirely, and stay there by friction alone.

6. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

No, the reissues tend to make the missiles large and bulky and neuter the firing mechanism in other ways.

I'm with Maetel. There's a moderately deep groove separating the tab from the rest of the cylindrical part that's inserted into launchers, meaning that it's thinner and more prone to breakage in that area. This can happen during regular play but can also happen if the missile is improperly separated from the sprue it's on. Either way, it doesn't affect its display potential, just means that it can't fire and the launcher can't be turned upside down without the missile falling out.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I remember the very first 'big' Transformer I got way back was G1 Thundercracker and really before then I'd not had much to do with firing missile toys so I didn't realise the tab was part of the missile and broke mine off the sprue and left that nub bit behind. Of course I quickly realised my mistake when the missiles didn't catch and just fell out but I was able to get an exchange for another set.