What are "must haves" for a "complete" classics collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by alephnull2005, Mar 2, 2011.

1. alephnull2005

alephnull2005 Banned

I would just like to know what everyone's opinion is on "essential" figures that would make for a well-rounded collection, also, who is in your collection and who are you pining for?

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All of them? :D 

Seriously, off the top of my head I heartily recommend Voyager Prime, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Mirage, Bumblebee, any version of the seeker mould and pretty much all the Classicsy TFs from Reveal the Shield.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Inferno and Cyclonus are pretty good, too.

4. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    The seekers..

5. smokey420

smokey420 auto-con

Forgot Henkei Astrotrain, Music Label Soundwave and United Megatron, Bruticus with fansproject add ons, warbot defender, the list goes on

6. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Henkei Convoy, Henkei smokescreen, Classics or Henkei Mirage, BIS cyclonus, and blurr. Or all of them.

7. smokey420

smokey420 auto-con

Ciliffjumper, Skyfire, Grapple

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

It's nigh on impossible for me to pick just one, or even a handful of figures. Having said that, I don't see how you could go without a Prime and a Megatron. For those I would recommend United Megs and Henkei Prime. Following that, I would just advise anyone to get whoever their favourite characters are and work from there.
    Tbh, I really couldnt say there is a bad mold amongst them. You could argue that the seeker mold is getting a bit dated now, and you could also make a case for some versions of figures in either Henkei or Hasbro, but really, it's all down to personal preference.

Sorry to be so wishy washy! I stand by my Prime and Megs recommendation though. You really can't ask for better than those IMO. :thumb 

9. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    whatever you want. -_- i dont see the point of these threads, get what you like and then stop.

10. Sideways77

Sideways77 some garbage is okay

News Credits:
    All Seekers and Cyclonus.

11. alephnull2005

alephnull2005 Banned

Thanks everyone! I've been concentrating on 84-86 characters as much as possible, and have nearly everyone I feel had a major recurring role in the series except constucticons and dinobots, and the last seeker and wj of course! Just wanted to know I guess what a definitive collection would need without being a completion-ist, I guess is what I meant to ask but it was all convoluted.

12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    for a classics g1 collection: every main release from classics (voyager and deluxe) all the universe deluxes minus dinobot, cheetor, and hotshot, voyager inferno, all the ultras, all generations, rts, jazz, tracks, grapple, lugnut, wreck gar, perceptor, g2 prime is iffy, and you don't need another bb if you already have one from classics.

non essentials, but still "required" for some (myself included) fp city commander, g3 trailer, defender, protector, rotf bruticus and superion with the add ons, hothead upgrade pe's stuff is nice, i don't have them yet though

13. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    True to the Classics, deluxes and voyagers under Classics banner prior to 2007 TFTM, new molds back then.

14. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    United Megatron is a must - I think he captures the G1 character much better than the Henkei. I was kind of iffy about his "wings" but once I got him out of the box and transformed him, I was very happy.

I'd also say pick up Hound w/Ravage. I have a Henkei version on the way, and after him I should just need a Mirage to round out my season 1 Autobots.

A lot of folks hate him, but consider Universe Galvatron. I've transformed mine once, and cussed the whole way through, but his robot mode is very cool and his light piping is quite sinister looking IMO.

15. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me the essential figures I'm sad to say are all those that were in the g1 cartoon, if I had to narrow it down further I'd say pre animated movie lineup

If I had to narrow it down further I'd go with pre movie decepticons.

as for my collection I'll pass on that one, off to work in a bit - however I must say that I'm pining for Blitzwing...

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From your title I really thought you wanted "essentials," i.e. characters that did stuff like OP, Megatron, Starscream, Bumblebee, Wheeljack, Jazz. From your second post though, it sounds like you ought to just go with "all new-mold toys for Classics, Universe(Classic and G1 series), Generations, and RtS." :D 

17. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

dont forget henkei hound and prowl. they are sweet. united jazz looks awesome too.

18. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Armada Unicron >_>

19. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

As I now have almost the entire crew of the Ark, my whole purpose in collecting, my must haves are now Windcharger, Trailbreaker and Gears. One of those will be mine before the spring is through, though!

20. alephnull2005

alephnull2005 Banned

Sorry, I guess I sort of changed it but was thinking I wasn't being clear enough, but actually both of your answers are sort of what I was looking for, if that makes sense.

As far as my own, I'm nearly done with movie until they release a Gen RC, beyond that I need Uni, Shark and the Quints, otherwise I'm all set, on the seeker front awaiting TC and need SW, also WJ of course to fill out my 84 cars, trying not to go past 86 as honestly I stopped paying attention after season 3 and don't recognize any other characters