What anime series are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by mrhillz, Oct 27, 2010.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If "enjoyable" is the word you use to describe Zero by the end of it all, you may be just as sadistic as Kirei Kotomine.

It's pretty spectacular.

2. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I find Ore ga Suki nano wa Imouto dakedo Imouto ja Nai very funny even though the animation is so bad. No surprise but Index III is my season favorite followed by irozuku and bunny senpai.

3. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    20 Episodes away from finishing Naruto...Crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I starting Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate (Love, Election and Chocolate) tonight.

5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  6. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

7. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

Watched the first two or three episodes of "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime" or whatever it's called. Not really sure what I think of it yet. Seems pretty slow paced so far, though that's not necessarily a bad thing. Anyone know if this is something that's going to worth keeping up with?

Also, what's with all the "real world guy is transported to video game/RPG/DnD inspired world" anime these days? Back when I watched anime regularly the only one that I can recall coming out was the .Hack franchise. Now it seems like there's a dozen of them.

8. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    "Isekai"/parallel world stories are essentially Japan's version of what the Western world has in our glut of "young adult" novels.

It's the appealing escapism of being somehow special while being yourself.

Twilight had Bella being somehow the lynchpin character in a supernatural war, despite supposedly being nothing special. The Divergent series revolves around a main character who has a "personality" when the rest of the world's populace are pretty much single-thought conditioned drones. That sort of thing.

The majority of isekai novels are framed around a scenario in which being an otaku confers the most useful, badass skillset imaginable.

In short, it's a shallow, pandering writing technique meant to appeal to its key demographic.

That's not saying that isekai stories are BAD, mind you. But as TVTropes says, tropes are tools. There's good ways to use them, but they can also make it really easy to fall into a derivative trap.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd they lost me.

What is up with Japan lately? When did villains becoming pretty boy children become the norm? Where are the REAL villains? Villains are supposed to look cool, badass, and evil. They're villains. #MAKEVILLAINSLOOKCOOLAGAIN

• Like Like x 3
  10. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I watched Toaru Majutsu no Index III episode 6 and I am surprised. It was good but they changed much from the Novel.

11. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V The token Asian one

My favorites are the ones where it's just some normal dude cooking for all these parallel world humans and monsters. Damn right, we CAN USE PEPPER EXTRAVAGANTLY! Or them being amazed by curry udon.

What'd they change?

Why is SSSS.Gridman only 12 episodes :(  They can do so much once they reveal Alexis's plan and whatnot. Definitely feels like the original toku version too, with a random being controlled by the true big bad, hopefully that ending is foreshadowing.

Conception - Arie was this pretty adorable church girl and then *whip* :eek:  Wait, what?

Trying to catch up on the 3 weeks I missed ou on

12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    That's like in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, when Arthur Dent becomes pretty much a supreme chef for an alien village because he can make sandwiches.

13. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    It's been on my "must watch" list for awhile now, but finally got a chance to check out Space Dandy.

I was all-in the moment Studio Bones and Shinichiro Watanabe were name-dropped, but between Canada not getting the Toonami block, and the high buy-in price for the Blu-Ray sets when they first came out, I wasn't able to jump in right away.

I can wholeheartedly say it was worth the wait. Every bit as good as Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, IMO, but in a completely different way. It's just a massive playground for animators and directors and writers to strut their stuff and give it their all. It's just an infectious, feel-good ride of energy all the way through. Any given episode may decide to be serious, or completely off-the-walls insane, and yet, none of it really seems out of place. Even with the complete lack of continuity between episodes (given the way the first episode ends, that'd be really hard to carry a series...), it's hard not to find some kind of endearing connection with its colourful cast. Largely a parody series, it's absolutely amazing the variety and breadth of material it's willing to cover, and the whole-hearted earnesty with which it does so. It's utterly inspiring the way the series careens between absurd stupidity, off-kilter but affecting philosophy, expert satire, and even romantic sentimentality without ever really losing steam. I'd be busting a gut laughing one moment, and then emotionally stunned the next. It's a roller coaster.

Alas, all good things must come to an end though. Honestly, in its non-serialized nature, it easily could have continued on, season after season, like a Japanese version of Futurama or Rick and Morty. But I suppose that's fine. The series burns bright for nearly all of its 26 episode span, rather than trailing off into an ember of its former self. And I couldn't imagine a more pitch-perfect ending for the series.

The English cast does a marvellous job. I know this series can be pretty infamous among the typical sub/dub fandom rivalries, due to how both dubs debuted practically simultaneously (English version technically first, even). This series really gave the actors a chance to strut their talent, especially Ian Sinclair as Dandy. Season 2 is especially impressive, for reasons that should be immediately obvious once you get there.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ninjanicktf

Ninjanicktf Mushroom Samba

I've been re-watching both Trigun and Mob Psycho 100. I forgot how good both of these shows were, especially the former.

16. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Rewatched the Corpse Party anime after playing the game and MAN it fails hard!

I hated it when I first saw it last year, but holy God it sucks even worse after experiencing the game. All the horror and character development are really out of the picture to give us shallow use of gorefest.

17. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I started Grimgar and I do not like it that much.

18. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    With the news of Stan Lee's passing, it reminded me of Heroman. I really wish Disney hadn't gone and screwed up the distribution rights for that. It really deserved a professional dub, and I was really rooting for that to get sorted while Stan was still around to dub his cameos. Now that's off the table completely.

19. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I am starting Rokujouma no Shinryakusha tonight. I decided to put Grimgar on hold for now.

20. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V The token Asian one

Nice light-hearted anime series. Yurika and Kiriha are my favorites, the little princess is annoying as hell though so I tend to skip over her featured episodes, but Ruth helps alleviate it the first go around.