What Anime did you grow up with?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Inikalord, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

oh i forgot, "gforce" :lol 

in that case you should be saying "still growing up!" not grew up with :lol 

also i remember watching sailor moon too. both when it was on broadcast tv, i think fox? or what ever channel was UPN at the time. maybe, AND on cartoon network. and here i thought it was good, then i watched some of the japanese version. how wrong i was :lol 

2. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heh, well I only really focused on Anime I grew up with in my Childhood.

3. Dolza_Khyron

you said grew up with, and then i click it, and it's all recent stuff, and i don't mean to be rude, but i laughed out loud, then felt really old :lol 

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    El-Hazard
    Genesis Climber Mospeada
    Kurenai Sanshiro
    Lost Universe
    Macross (SDF-1)
    Mobile Suit Gundam
    Ruroni Kenshin
    Saber Marionette
    Saber Rider
    Slayers
    Spoon Oba-san
    Time Bokan
    UFO Robot Grendizer
    Vandread

English dubs in every case, except for Lost Universe. Holy shit, that dub SUCKED.

5. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Sailor Moon
    Ronin Warriors
    Vampire Hunter D
    Voltron

I did not watch a lot of anime as a kid. I really got into it late highschool early college and now I gave up keeping up with it lol

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't really get into anime much until high school and college either, so this isn't ones I "grew up with" so much as "first exposures to the genre":

- First anime I saw was some Macross or Robotech movie I don't remember the name of. Plot involved two transforming-mech pilots fighting...something...and competing for the affections of a pop singer whose music was going to destroy the world...or something. Didn't like it very much.
    - Genocyber - Nothing like choosing a high-quality title for one of my first exposures to anime. Between this and the aforementioned mystery film, kind of put me off anime for a few years.
    - Digimon Adventure 01 and 02
    - Yu-Gi-Oh, original series
    - I remember Pokemon, Sailor Moon and some Dragon Ball series or another being on, but I never liked and/or watched them much.

7. Dolza_Khyron

macross plus! is what you mean :) 

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ones I saw when they first aired
    Voltron
    Robotech
    Tranzor Z

Ones I saw but they were well past initial airing
    Speed Racer
    Battle of the Planets
    Starblazers

9. Inikalord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nah, it's alright. Besides, all of this stuff was basically pre-2008 which is before I entered High School so it counts for me.

What does matter is that I enjoyed them while they were on and good to go back to watch once in a while. Every Generation has something they enjoyed watching.

10. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

- Ginga Nagareboshi Gin (known as "Silver Fang" in Scandinavia)
    - Pokemon
    - Digimon
    - Beyblade
    - Dragon Ball Z
    - Shounen Mowgli

Ah the memories :eek: 

11. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Right there with ya, buddy.

I loved Speed Racer. I remember being absolutely floored when I found out who Racer X was.

Star Blazers. Probably my favorite show as a kid. I remember being allowed to eat my cereal in the den so I could watch Star Blazers before school. My notebooks at school were covered with pictures of the big capital ships from the show.

Robotech - first show I ever saw where people died violently. Sucked me in. Never got into the whole Macross thing though.

12. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

I'm so late-90's. It was all Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh for me.

Totally missed the Dragonball train, and I'm honestly not too compelled to look into it now.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Teknoman was the first one I'd call as the anime I grew up with. Although I did watch Samurai Pizza Cats too.

14. SideswipePrime

SideswipePrime Reply Dump Extraordinaire

I grew up on Beyblade, Digimon, SD Gundam Force, a tiny bit of Speed Racer, Sonic X, Kirby: Right Back at Ya, Fighting Foodons, Medabots, and a tiny bit of Shaman King

15. Dolza_Khyron

no it is good that you enjoyed it, i just expected a little bit older of stuff lol

the only bad dubs you had to deal with were card captors, one piece, and naruto.

when i grew up, it was all bad dubs :lol 

16. Inikalord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't really call Naruto a bad dub. It has a good range of VA's and most, if not all of them fit their characters.

Yeah, the 4Kids One Piece Dub is bad, REALLY bad but at the time it was an absolutely awesome show. Course though, the Funimation Dub is miles better.

Can't comment on Card Captors, it's been a while since I've seen the show but from what I remember it was a decent dub.

Honestly, the oldest and first Anime I've probably watched was Dragon Ball Z at 4 Years old back when it ran on TV Syndication before moving to Cartoon Network.

17. Dolza_Khyron

i was referring to naruto's 4kid's dub :lol 

card captor sakura was gutted.

sailor moon got off easy, compared to the horrors they did to card captor sakura. :lol 

unfortunately the website appears to no longer exist, BUT, thanks to the way back machine...

CCSvsCC: CCS#3/CC#16 Part 1

here look for yourself.

oh yea, i liked that toonami dub of dbz! i don't like the current dub though of Kai :lol 

18. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Glad to see I wasn't alone on Sailor Moon, ahah. It was actually the 1st anime I watched (on a regular basis anyway, as I might've seen Dragonball at a friend's house before it), and one of the only shows along with Care Bears, Adams Family & the 90's X-Men that I paid attention to before having cable.

Then when I had YTV & Fox Kids I got into Pokemon, Digmon & pretty much everything else listed (really liked Escaflowne too btw), and Love Hina was probably the last anime that I watched all the way through. Not sure if that qualifies as "growing up" with, but eh.

19. Inikalord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    4Kids never touched Naruto.

Also, what's so bad about Kai to you? More experienced actors, less filler, accurate dialogue, appropriate voices, the list goes on.

20. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    SPEED RACER! *biiig fan grin*:D 
    Cartoon Network reruns pre-boomerang for the first, and the awesome '97 update (not fred wolf's, the 97 remake from the same creators of the original that got called "Speed Racer X" or is known as Speed Racer Y2k in some places) on Nick around Highway 35's era.

DUAL! PARALLEL TROUBLE ADVENTURE
    Watched a good bit of it on Tech tv, still want the complete DVD set, I really liked the mecha, the girl pilots (and hiding our world hopping teen hero in a pink femme suit with squishy bits and a holo-helmet.)

Also watched dubbed Sailor moon from DiC on broadcast and later cartoon network enough to find and get a few statuettes with accessories (inaccessable currently) and a Luna plushie (she, artemis and tuxedo mask stole the show often in my opinion) , but fell off when the movies ran, kinda want to see the Original unaltered versions sometime.

I saw ONE episode of digimon and it's ear-worm theme rattles around my head even now, does that count?