What animation style would you like?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Liege Prime, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of people don't seem to be too happy about the new designs we've seen for TF animated cartoon from CN. Now, it seems to be a more simplistic desing that is meant to be easily animated, but not too detailed. So, I was just curious what kind of animation people would like, taking into account budget limitations?

Personally, I didn't mind the cel shaded 3d look, but I would like it to be a little more exagerated then being 3D models of the toys. Like, actually have much more fluid animation and appealing on screen proportions. I think anything too detailed and 2d would be a bit too expensive nowadays.

2. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    I'd like the BW/BM style full 3d CGI animation, or even oldschool, but updated, GIJOE, TF G1, Thundercats style animation. Not a fan of the Armada/Cybertron/Energy style - and I don't want it anime'd out like RiD.. I can't digest cars with sweat drops appearing on their doors..

3. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    One of the main reasons I wanted to make a thread like this is that I heard SO many people say they don't like the Teen Titan style they are following. That's fine, I'm not the biggest fan myself, but very few people offered an other viable option.

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I personally would like something that resembles the Clone wars animation with the 3D effect futurama uses.

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I was hoping for a more realistic comic book art style. Maybe something along the lines of the Ultimate Avengers series. Definitely not TT/The Batman/LOSH animeish in style. To tell the truth, I haven't watched a cartoon on tv with an art style that I've really enjoyed since Beast Wars.

6. y2jversion1

Ebay:
    Same here man.. cartoon's nowadays just seem so, for lack of words, effortlessly made and "cheap" IMO

7. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Nowadays, with 2D, there is always tradeoffs. CN has a lot of over the top stylized cartoons- BUT they make the fast and they come out looking pretty fluid. If I had to choose a 2D style, I was pretty impressed with the newer turtles, who were stylized but not to the degree of Teen Titans or Justice League.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Gundam Seed, Sunrise, stuff like that.

9. y2jversion1

Ebay:
    True..the recent TMNT cartoon was quite well done - I wouldn't mind something like that - I just cant stand the over-exaggerated style of Teen Titans, League of Heroes, Sam Jack, Clone Wars etc.

10. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    The Beast Wars 3-D CGI animation was badass. I even like the old G1 animation as well. The RID and Unicron trilogy anime...eh, I can stomach it.

But I REALLY don't like the idea of Transformers having Teen Titans-esque animation. It just doesn't say Transformers. I'm more along the lines of a Clone Wars-esque style, with 3-D cel-shading effects.

11. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I'd like to see Gainix take a shot at Transformers. They really seem to know how to handle robots and give them a new vibe. If they could make Transformers like they did Gunbuster 2.... it would be the best TF series ever IMO.

12. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I'm in this boat. Hyper-detailed when doing close-ups would be awesome. Prime's Matrix Chamber would be particularly cool, I'd imagine.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'd actually like to see something akin to the old 90's X-Men cartoon or the current Marvel Ultimates stuff. Something 2D with a more 'comic book art' feel. Kind of like how cartoons were from the 90's.

I can stomach the 2D anime style that was used in Armada as long as they bother to fix animation errors. The 2D style that was used in RID is right out though... I'm with the person who said that it's hard to deal with a car having an anime 'sweetdrop' on the hood.

I'm sick of the 3D cell shadded anime that we've had from Energon and Cybertron as it doesn't seem to leave much freedom for design or even movement in some cases as the animation models largely end up being 3D cell shaded renders of the toys themselves.

While I'm not a big fan of the new 'stylized' American animation, I don't absolutely hate it either. It's not my number one choice, but if it gets rid of the 3 to 5 minute transformations sequences that the Anime styled stuff has been notorious for than I'm behind it.

I'd love to see a BW/BM styled 3D animation, updated with modern animation tech of course, as it was similar in design to the old school 'comic book art' style from older cartoons, but in 3D. That would make an awesome cartoon, but I fear it would be way too cost prohibitive nowadays. I honestly think BW was a freak accident being as good as it was.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Decently animated and textured 3D.

15. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    CGI, Mainframe all the way. Beast Wars looked great, especially towards the end of its run, and while most people didn't like the content of Beast Machines, I think most would agree that it was absolutely beautiful to behold.

CGI done by Mainframe would be my #1 choice by far.

16. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    That would be great, but I question the cost of a series done up by them that actually takes place in the world today. It would be pretty pricey to litter the scenery with buildings and humans, especially if they tried to avoid stylizing them too much.

17. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Old school 2D all the way. I'd love something akin to the old G1 animation. I'm not all taken with this deformed over stylized look they're going with.

At least, it's not CGed.

18. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Doesn't seem like it will be in Gainax's Modus Operandi to work on a show based on a toyline, so chances of that happening are slim to none. As nice as it would have been in terms of Mecha animation, I shudder to think what kind of fan-service Gainax would introduce to the show. I can already imagine them using up most of their budget, midway through the show, and the last half consisting mostly of manga styled stills.

2D animation! The cel animation parts of Superlink convinced me it will still be good to see Transformers animated in classic cel animation. It's fast becoming a lost art. I wouldn't mind a 3D animation show either but it's my personal preference to go with 2D.

19. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I would like to change/modify my response and say cel animation, with Don Figueroa as the series designer. I think we would all go ape-poop for that.

20. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beast Wars/Machines. Just something like that. Needs a good writer too though. Animation can look awesome but if the story sucks....