Customs: What air regulator, water trap, moisture trap to buy

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by avc-prime, Mar 6, 2012.

1. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

hello new to AB, but I am having trouble finding a good brand that sell the air regulator and water trap for my compressor. I have looked at amazon and ebay but there seems to be plenty of knock offs. I just bought a new brush but I don't want to ruin it by buying a cheap air regulator/ water trap. Any suggestions?

Also is a water regulator same as a moisture trap? and will that be all I need for my compressor to work?

thanks.

2. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I have always used water trap and moisture separator interchangeably (same device). I'm not sure if "water regulator" is a typo or what. If you meant air regulator it makes more sense.

They sell these things at the local hardware store. I'm not sure what compressor you're using (if its specific to an air brush or something) but these parts are fairly common and standard. Just see what size fitting you have and get one that matches. Or if its an odd size there are plenty of fittings/adapters to look through.

My air compressor (and most I've seen) have the regulator built in. Its usually right where the air comes out or nearby the pressure safety valve. Adding a water trap/seperator is easy enough. I even had one with quick connect fittings on it so I could take it off and clean it easier.

For some examples similar to what I use:

Pressure Regulator
    Pressure Regulator (With hole for air gauge)
    Water Separator

Air Regulator/Water Separator Combo

3. avc-prime

thanks I will check my local hardware store do you know which brand is better? and I have an Iwatta hp c + brush.

4. s10blazed

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    The quality names I know of associated with the air/water valve industry are Parker and SMC. Anything by either of those companies will be much higher quality than you really need. Unfortunately I doubt you'll find those at the local hardware store. You won't have any problems using the basic ones from Home Depot/Lowes. I used a cheapy from Lowes when I painted my truck. Automotive paint application is much less fault tolerant than a little air brush and it worked fine for me. If you use it a lot just be sure to empty the water trap.

Does your compressor have an air tank attached? Or does the Output come directly off of the cylinder head?

5. avc-prime

is an oil less tank.

6. s10blazed

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I think you may have combined 2 different things here... I suspect you mean it's an oil-less compressor (most common for electric compressors). But does it have an air tank attached to it? Or is it just the motor/cylinder style?

Here is an example of an oil-less, tank-less compressor:
    [​IMG]

And an oil-less compressor with an air tank:
    [​IMG]

The reason I ask is because if you have an air tank, you will use the water separator much less. The water will accumulate inside the tank and it will need drained more often. The compressor still makes the same amount of moisture except that some goes into the water trap and some stays inside the tank.

7. avc-prime

Is the second option since it even has a sticker saying after each use drain the air out so it does not rust.