What actually causes white plastic to yellow?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dharmacon, Jun 20, 2010.

1. dharmacon

dharmacon More Than Meets The Isle

News Credits:
    I should begin by saying that I just spent over 30 minutes reading through the thread about using hydrogen peroxide and sunlight to remove yellow discoloration. I will probably try that out at some point, but I'm a bit more concerned with causing/preventing it in the first place.

I moved into a townhouse last October. When we got here, all the TF's went into a deep closet, and I wasn't able to finally unpack them until a few days ago. When I did, several white TF's had yellow plastic that I didn't remember them having, and those that did have some yellow before October looked much worse than I remembered.

A few words about where and how they've been stored:

- They've been in total darkness the entire time

- The closet they're in is in the coldest room in the house

- Each figure is in a sealed Ziploc bag, which is inside a sealed plastic bin

- When we moved in October, the TF's were moved in the early evening time, at a time when the sun was almost completely down (i.e. they didn't bake inside a hot truck for hours on end)

- Also, my wife and I do not smoke

Is there an X factor I'm missing that could be causing it? Anybody have any thoughts at all?

2. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Well, I think its in the plastic itself. Its usually the same figures that suffer from this ie Jetfire.But, its not just white plastic, the seacon parts as well as blue plastic that turns a green tinge suffer from this.

3. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Supposedly its Ultra Violet light that does it. Sunlight Creates a lot of it but if you use flourescent lighting or a black light at any point those can also emit enough ultra violet light that has been proven to yellow figures.

Another factor is air conditions. Particles in the air carrying ultra violet rays from sunlight transfer that through entrophy onto the next particles. The white plastic.

Storing toys in heavily dusty areas like attics or sheds make sense for the later theory.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  4. tarheels

tarheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have stored my transformers in a storage box or plastic tote in my attic since 1984 and my figures still look bright white since the day I bought them at the store.

5. dharmacon

dharmacon More Than Meets The Isle

News Credits:
    That was kind of my thought. My Protectobot Groove, which I've owned since 1986, never looked yellow until now. The closet they're currently in is not humid, musty, moldy, nor is it dustier than the last few closets they've lived in, which is to say not very dusty at all (my bedroom and living room are much dustier than the closets). In other words, the closet is a very temporate, breathable, comfortable, livable environment... so why all of a sudden is yellow showing up now?

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
  7. oxidative

oxidative last chance to evacuate

Thanks for that link! Interesting read and I have a Mac and SNES both with the same problem :D 

G1 Jetfire remains white, for now...

8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Oxidation

9. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Which one you mean? Classics? Because i have that one and he is still white. o_O 
    I always thought it was just because years passed. I mean, only my G1/G2 toys are kinda yellow. Mostly the Protectobots and Aerialbots. Amazingly Prime is still white. :S I got more recent ones such as RM Star Saber or Universe Prowl that are still white.