What about the 360?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, May 21, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

With the Wii catching everyone's eye at E3, and Sony catching everyone's ire, it seems to me that the 360 has gotten lost in the shuffle. How strong is its lineup for the coming year? Will it be enough to stave off Sony? Will it still be a hot item this XMas?

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

from what i read, they had a few good games to show....but thats about it....no big news seeing that the system is already out unlike the other two.

there was the Halo 3 clip...

3. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Wait, Microsoft was at E-3 this year?

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    360 might not have looked that big at E3 but credit that to the fact that there where two companies showing new hardware and hardware seems to always over shadow games. There was very little talk about the games for PS3 and Wii either. I would be willing to bet that if it wasn’t for the hardware Halo 3 would be a much more massive story then it was.

And Rockstar saying GTA4 will be out on muti-systems is vary good news about the future of 360 in that Rockstar doesn’t seem to think they need Sony as much as Sony needs them and are willing to forsake that relationship.

I think writing off 360 at this point is a big mistake.

5. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I've been downloading the E3 trailers from the marketplace, and so far Gears of War and Splinter Cell are the two games I'm looking forward to the most.

6. misterd

Should point out that Capcom has said Devil May Cry will no longer be PS exclusive.

Drip... drip... drip...

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Halo. 3.

Was there anything else even remotely as interesting and exciting as that?

No.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I wasn't keen on the 360 before, but several games caught my eye during E3. With all the Wii stuff going on, it's impressive that these games still managed to get my attention. In particular, I'm looking forward to Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Too Human, and Bio Shock. I'm probably more psyched about Lost Planet than anything else that isn't a first-party Wii game.

Halo 3 didn't excite me at all, seeing as I don't like the previous games and the trailer showed no gameplay.

9. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    gears of war and lost planet are on my list as well.

I'm still waiting for a price drop (say next spring) to get a 360

10. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    Well for the 360 I'm just waiting for Halo3, Gears of War, Lost Planet and Dead Rising. Can't wait until they come out. :) 

11. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

You can extrapolate that statement to almost all other developers and publishers, including Square Enix. They're loyal to revenues, not to particular platforms - that's just a plain business reality. I'm amazed at anyone who suggests otherwise. If it starts to look like the 360's market share will be comparable to the PS3's, there will suddenly be a lot fewer exclusives, and the exclusives that do remain will assume much greater importance as a deciding factor for millions of buyers.

Honestly, I think things are playing out pretty much as Microsoft expected, although they may not have thought that Sony would help out quite this much. ;)  The 360's library continues to grow with what I and apparently millions of other people think are quality titles, the massive potential of Xbox Live continues to be realized, the unit itself is reasonably priced (at least by comparison) since it isn't shoving a new format down anyone's throat, and it's all being backed by a company with practically infinite resources and an unmatched talent for wooing developers. I couldn't be more confident about the 360's future, regardless of whether it manages to eclipse the PS3's market share.

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Microsoft is hasn't given me a good reason to buy a 360 yet....

as for Halo....Halo 2 isn't get that much props as Halo...i still remember when the only talk was Halo, then Halo 2 came out, and it went kinda quiter, so maybe that's why Halo 3 wasn't so big too.

13. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

The gaming press were talking up the 360's E3 presence pretty thoroughly. Some were calling Mass Effect and/or Gears of War as Game of the Show across all platforms. Halo 3 and GTA 4 announcements were big news also.

But alas, those things don't give people on message boards as much ammunition to argue about as PS3 pricing or the Wii controller.

14. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I don't know about Lost Planet. I was looking forward to trying it out, but I downloaded the demo for it on the Marketplace and have not been impressed at all so far.

As for Halo 3. Bungie could drop the single player and 98% of people who play Halo wouldn't have a damn clue that they did it. That's not to say that I'm not interested in what happens in the campaign mode for Halo 3, but I'll bust through it in less than a week and never even remember that it's there after that.

15. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Virtually every game site was into the Wii because they had to try out the controller.

Sony just pissed people off. Over. And over. And over.

MS just quietly came out, delivered exactly what they had been promising and everyone that wanted those games were happy.

Between the sheer quality of exclusives like Mass Effect & Lost Planet & BioShock & Gears of Wars & Dead Rising (etc) and getting GTA4 right out of the gate... AND getting exclusive rights to episodic content via Xbox Live, Xbox gamers are generally pretty content

16. Vialli

Vialli Fantastic

I thought the 360 conference was the best imo. Sony can go suck me off for all I care. Nintey.. meh.

17. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

Will the Xbox live arcade have MAME games available?

18. misterd

Important to remember that many of those third parties were once in Nintendo's pocket, too.

19. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    From what I can fined online about it MAME along with Sega games coming to Live are an unconfirmed rumor.

20. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

OK at least I know that I wasn't imagining the possibility. :D