What about G1 sounds in new the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tomato75, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Tomato75

Tomato75 Active Member

Ok i'm a G1 fan. I would love to hear the original or somewhat original sound of Primes Gun or Megatron Blast? Soundwaves voice instead of Dr Claw from Inspector Gadget. What do you all think?

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I would love to hear the story behind your name being "Tomato75" of all things.

... seriously though (still interested in the story btw), I wouldn't be opposed to hearing Soundwave's voice like it was, but I'd also like there to be some reasoning behind it too. Now as far as the gun blasts, I'd sooner have the sounds match the weapons, so again, it'd be cool to have an old school sound... but only if it made sense in regards to what was actually being fired.

3. Tomato75

Tomato75 Active Member

I agree I just keep hearing Primes gun sounding like a pea shooter. My name ha ha...
    yeah well nickname and year, u get it!!

4. SoundWave2007

SoundWave2007 Well-Known Member

me being a hardcore G1 fan i totally agree the main sound i was wanting to hear was the transformation sound from the cartoon i heard it in the first movie when blackout began his transformation but i havent heard it since but as far as voices go i love that bay signed cullen to do prime and as far as frank welker goes i would have loved to hear him do megatron again but hugo weaving was a really good choice i just wish they would have added a g1 sound to soundwaves voice but the gun sounds dont bother me

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I wish they had vocoded Soundwave's voice. Without the vocoder, he sounds like some generic, growly bad guy. More than a few people I know mistakenly thought that he and the Fallen were one and the same.

6. bigkid78

bigkid78 I MAKE SHIT HAPPEN!

id like to here the blasters sound like the originals.primes gun had its on sound.but i bet his bigger gun in this movie doesnt sound like a pea shooter!:lol 

7. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Yea, I was disappointed with Soundwave. Its Frank Welker doing the voice once again, but for some reason, they went with Dr. Claw?

I did like hearing the original transformation sound in TF1 when we first saw Blackout and then the cell-phone transformer brought to life with the Allspark.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No thanks. Those cartoony sounds have no place in the movies. Soundwave's voice fits in the movies way better than the over-processed one he had in G1. (and Frank Welker prefers it unprocessed)

9. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    This^

10. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    He reminded me of the Oracle from the first two Jak and Daxter games.

11. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

I've always suspected Soundwave's original voice wasn't used due to some post-production folks being concerned it wouldn't sound that great in some theater speaker systems. Maybe also some concern about whether he'd be understandable to the majority of the movie-going population or not. We take understanding him for granted because we've been listening to his original voice for over 25 years now. I had occasion to watch an old ep a few weeks ago with my Mom and she actually had trouble understanding anything he was saying. I had to keep translating for her.

12. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    i wouldnt mind another g1 transformation noise. in rotf there was only one and that was reedmen transforming

13. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'm all for retaining iconic elements of G1, but to be honest the sound effects don't mean all that much to me.

They already did the transforming sound in the first movie, and it kinda seemed out of place to me. You don't want to be sticking in things that don't work just for the sake of homage. They should only be used if they can be incorporated unobtrusively, or in cases where they actually enhance the film.

They definitely should've used the vocoder on Soundwave though.

14. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Anyways, on topic.
    I really feel like the G1 sounds from the first movie were really overbearing. They just seemed so shoehorned in to throw the fandogs a bone.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I'm definitely nowhere close to being stuck in the past, but yeah, I think the current movies could have benefited with a tad more G1 transformation sounds and definitely having Soundwave's classic synthesized voice. I know quite a few of the "everything the movies do is A+++" naysayers will disagree, but I firmly believe the audiences would have completely lost their sh*t if they heard the G1-ish effect coming out of Soundwave. Even casual TF fans from the 80's remember that much about the original series right along side BB being yellow and Prime being a truck.

16. Zombiedude

Zombiedude Junkion Warrior

I think the movies need the best G1 sound of all

THE TOUCH

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Let's face it, this is the closest thing to truth on this matter we will ever hear. I remember seeing the demo that Digital Domain produced that had SW voice semi-modulated, and even though I had seen the movie at least 3 times by that point I still had a bit of difficulties trying to understand what exactly he said. If I wasn't specifically fine-tuned my ears to pick it up, I definitely wouldn't have understood what he said. I can only imagine what that might have been like for the casual theatre-goers. Are we to sacrifice the ability for the general audience to understand what the heck he's saying in order for us fans to have a disposable fanwank that wouldn't enhance the overall experience? Yes, some extra modulation might be in order, but the degree to what it was in G1 would be akin to shooting the whole movie in the foot even further than it did already.

18. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Why so Geewun, Loser?

1000x this!

19. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I'm not gonna complain if Soundwave's voice isn't vocoded in DOTM. What I would like though, is if his voice gets "muffled" while wearing a battle mask, giving him a somewhat G1-ish voice. Even if just for a few seconds.

20. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well there voiced by the same guy