What about a true G1 Alt line...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hiro Prime, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I could get any kind of Transformer toyline made today, and money was not a factor, I'd like to see the '84-'85 line of cars made into Alts. Not as the Alts have been done so far, but as the year/model of the vehicles they were back in the '80's.

Say like an Alt 280-Z as BLuestreak/Prowl/Smokescreen or a Nissan Vanette as Ironhide/Ratchet. (Done right as the cartoon had them)

Given the technology of today and the popularity of TF's, I think that a line like this would sell. Now I'd edge my bet by reproducing some of the old G1 toons in a new series of DVD's to packaged with the toys. (the old episodes reanimated with better animation) Like I said, money would be no problem. I'd also like to think that the rule of no war toys for VW and the other European car companies by the time the second movie comes out along with the whole money is no problem rule, could be overturned.

What do you guys think? What would you like to see if you disagree? (Remember, TF's are H.O.T. and money is no object.)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    My understandin of that, is that it's basically a Masterpeice like line. I honestly don't think that it would sell well at all. There would be some characters that I would get, but, for the most part, I wouldn't be interested in it. Also, Alternators is dead (for at least a while, though it's doubtfull that it will ever be brought back again).

3. ckbuddha

ckbuddha Well-Known Member

That would be pretty cool considering manufacturing processes they have today. Only problem is it would be marketed to a small segment of the population, and most people would think why are TFs being made to look like old vehicles.

With that said, I would definitely be on board since that is what I grew up with.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Can't happen. Same reason they couldn't do a VW Bug Alternator. They would still have to get the licence from the company.

5. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Castlevaniac

Whoo, that's a lot of caveats, but taking that into mind, I'd second that toyline suggestion in a heartbeat. With a few molds, there's obvious room for repaint/retool options.

Taking the old episodes and re-animating them, shoehorning dialogue into the existing scripts, etc is a lizard of a different color. First off, no more junior league 3D efforts...either traditional style or G1 aesthetic CG with greater detail. Studios like Madhouse or TMS in the running, etc.

I think the big problem is that unless you're catering strictly to die-hard G1 enthusiasts or car buffs in general, the line won't do so well, mainly because of how society tends to have that whole "forward thinking" issue when it comes to modern technologies. What could work is updated versions of these classic vehicles thrown together with the original model robot form, but I guess that would defeat the purpose you've proposed here entirely.

Nice idea, but even with all the money in the world, it would be a hard sell.

:poke 

-Pit-

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gotta admit, I'm a little tired of "Make a new toy exactly like the 1984/5 original, except way better and more cartoon-accurate" requests at this point. One of the reasons I enjoyed Classics so much is, while they are remakes of classic characters, they weren't overly slavish about altmodes or accuracy to twenty-some-year-old toys or media, allowing for a little more fun and creative interpretation.

That said, If they actually DID so something like that, I'd probably snap it right up. :) 

7. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

I almost 100% agree with Feralstorm.

I would love nothing more than for classics to be a full blown line, and that's that. At least cover all the main 84 characters, some important 85 and then only the most important after that (UM, Kup, Springer, etc)

Not everything in Classics has been perfect, but good enough for me honestly. (except I only buy the new molds, I won't buy into an Energon mold being Classics Devastator and a Cybertron mold being Classics Huffer and Springer)

If this line you speak of did exist as some lovely medium between Alts and Masterpieces, I would also eat it right up.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's a great idea, but I love the "reinterpretation" that Classics brought to the table.

Botcon Huffer is an excellent rendition of the character by the way, he fits right in with the Classics and looks just like Huffer. I couldn't have asked for a better choice of molds.

9. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree that Huffer is juast about perfect for Classics. I thought that about the mold when it was first released as Armorhide. (An almost perfect Pipes.) Springer looks nice but I would have prefered a Seaspray out of Shortround.

The ideal behind this thread was that if money was really no object with the tech we have today, what would be your idea of a gotta be made line of TF's. I went with the G1 Alts because to me, that would be one of the things that I'd like to see done. I'd also like to see BW bots made again but to give the Beast modes a real skin like texture. Say like Cheetor being a Cheetah covered in a fine fake fur like the show characters were suppose to have. Or say Dinobot with a rubbery scaled skin to cover his Dino parts.

But if my ideas aren't to your taste, I ask you given that money was no object, what would you like to see as a high-end TF line? (I ask this of anyone reading, not Sol Fury directly.)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i would prefer the line to be in regular/mainline format rather than alt. alts just take up too much space. and not as fiddleable as the regular line.

11. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

real TFs

12. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That was the problem with the alternator/bt lines. 3 vipers, 3 jeeps, 3 wrx's(I forget the 4th mold there was 3 of), and suddenly half the toy line consisted of 4 characters in different colors.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Meh, my whole attraction to the Alt's in the first place was *because* they were updated (aka more believable) forms of G1 characters. I much prefer characters like Wheeljack & Mirage being cars you would actually see on the street as opposed to being race/rally cars trying to fit into everyday traffic.

I would much prefer they properly finish the Alt's with the remaining core characters such as Ironhide, Ratchet, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Trailbreaker, Brawn and even Gears than ever attempt to remake a handful of them in their original outdated G1 forms.

But that's just me.

14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Fo shizzle. OBVIOUSLY the G1 Autobots NEVER featured ANY repaints.

No, seriously. Let's have a look at it, shall we?

The original G1 "Autobot Cars" lineup featured 12 Diaclone-based molds and three more molds created for the movie:

Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen
    Sideswipe/Red Alert
    Ironhide/Ratchet
    Trailbreaker/Hoist
    Grapple/Inferno
    Jazz
    Sunstreaker
    Hound
    Wheeljack
    Mirage
    Tracks
    Skids

Hot Rod
    Kup
    Blurr

(plus Targetmaster versions of the latter three, but that was a different assortment altogether again)

That gives us 21 characters out of 15 molds.

Now let's compare that to Alternators.

Smokescreen/Silverstreak/Ricochet
    Side Swipe/Dead End/Sunstreaker
    Hound/Swindle/Ricochet
    Tracks/Battle Ravage/Swerve
    Meister/Shockblast
    Grimlock/Wheeljack
    Windcharger/Decepticharge
    Prowl/Camshaft
    Skids
    Optimus Prime/Nemesis Prime
    Mirage/Rodimus
    Ravage
    Rumble

27 characters out of 13 molds. Not THAT vastly different as far as I'm concerned.

Plus, Nemesis Prime and Rodimus were convention exclusives.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i am having a hard time controlling myself, at the thought of nevermore going 'fo shizzle' with a german accent.

says the asian guy.

16. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

Of course, what you chose to omit were many figures that contradict your theory.

For example, the G1 cars you talk about came from a period of three years, two if you exclude the movie cars. Alternators ran for four years. Why's that important? Well, moldwise, it averages five molds a year for G1 and just over three per year for Alternators. I don't know about you, but I think a reduction of roughly 40% is pretty significant. Oh, but you know what, didn't Hasbro crank out a significant number of other toys in that period? Optimus Prime, Dinobots, Seekers, handguns, tape cassettes, Constructicons, Aerialbots...while it's not terribly fair to compare many lines to one, the same can be said of a one to subset comparison as well.

Also, no differentiation was made between repaints and remolds. There's not a single repaint among the G1 toys you listed. But guess what? Alternators had four (Ricochet, Rollbar, Sunstreaker, Nemesis Prime). And, hey, if we're counting exclusives for Alternators, why don't the Omnibots count for G1? Looking at the percentage of all types of reuses, are you telling me a 1.4:2.1 ratio of old/new characters to molds is insignificant? Are you aware that it's a 50% increase?

Of course this is all conveniently forgetting that the comparison is being made between a line ramping up in popularity and another that sat on life support it's entire last year (if not longer). Had it not been, repaints of Skids-Frenzy-Ravage, along with rumored repaints of the Mustang and an inevitable white Ram, would've cast an even dimmer light on the we-have-always-been-repainting-like-crazy argument.

17. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    If your point is: "G1 and Alternators can't be compared fairly so give it up" then YES!

Otherwise you're ignoring factors like others are ignoring factors too. Talking about number of new molds per year equating with a better line, well first the Alternator molds are MUCH more complex than the G1 molds, but bigger than that:

The first 2 years of G1 had ABSOLUTELY ZERO new molds per year. They were all repaints from Diaclone, Microman, etc.

If you still think they shouldn't count as repaints, well then maybe we should look at the "Fish Bowl" relaunch of Alternators separately from what came before. In that case Sunstreaker, Rollbar, and Ricochet are all new molds too! In fact the only repaints would be Camshaft and the SDCC exclusives.

18. redline928

redline928 06/26/09

If hasbro did bring back G1 characters, I would buy every one! Like it

19. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    To be honest, do we need another line for 1984/85 (and to a lesser extent 1986) Autobots and Decepticons to get a re-imagining or homage. Masterpiece, Alternators/Binaltech, and Classics, were or are supposed to be for that purpose.

I'd quite like some homages of the more obscure 1987/1988 transformers personally.

20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Your best bet is molds based off the IDW comic.