What a deluxe figure will cost you after the hunt.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    We all know that everyone comments on the price of gas, tax, etc on total price of the hunt. But how many people actually sat down and did the math. Well, today I did a real life practice to see what it would be.

Today, I went on the hunt for GDC Wheelie.

The Toys R Us near me that was "supposed" to have him was 14 miles away. Round Trip that was 28 miles. My car gets about 19 Miles to the Gallon and I just filled up my car paying $3.78 per gallon.

So doing some quick math, gas for said figure is roughly: $5.57

On the way there, there were 2 tolls I had to pay. Total: $2.00

The figure itself was $14.99

The tax rate in my state is 7%. So the tax on the deluxe is $1.05

So in total, the simple Wheelie Deluxe figure cost me:

$14.99 (Cost of Figure) + $1.05 (Tax) + $2.00 (Tolls) + $5.57 (Gas) = $23.61

This of course is not equating the wear and tear on the actual car from the drive and the fact that it took 1 hour out of my day.

So to recap.

Figure $14.99
    Cost to acquire said figure $8.62

But here is the kicker. The store said they had it, and when I showed, they didn't have it any longer. So the price becomes additive moving forward.

So my advice to people, never hunt for one figure. Also, if you were at the NJCC and you saw the guys selling Wheelie for $25, it makes you wonder if that was such a bad deal after all.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Pretty much the reason that I spent $150 for MP Optimus. I live too far away from the TRU to be constantly on the hunt for it, might as well pay a little over now and not have to worry about it/ all the wasted time in hopes of finding one later on.

3. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

Lucky it cost me just over $22 at $3.78 per gallon, just in gas to get to and from the CLOSEST TRU to me... and my car gets 27 MPG

4. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    Well said Alucard77. :) 

This is why I do not drive all around just for Transformers. I'm usually looking for something else, or if I need groceries I hit Wal-Mart (which happens to have Transformers that I need most of the time).

I used to drive all over Mesa/Tempe/Chandler (this is Arizona) back in the late 90's/early 00's looking for movies or video games. Sometimes I'd spend hours driving and not find a single thing! I never thought of the gas wasted, since if you don't buy anything at the stores that you went to...it is a waste of time/gas/money/etc.

I plan on driving a bit to another close town that has a TRU in a couple of weeks. If they have Transformers, then cool. I'm mostly going there to get pizza at this one place (that isn't near me), and to see what their stores have for Halloween. This trip won't be a waste simply because I'll leave with the pizza and some Halloween items (decorative, candy, movies). Finding Transformers will be a bonus. :)  The last time I went, I was just looking for Transformers and out of the 7 or 8 locations that I went to...I found just one. :(  Now that was a waste. lol

This is probably why I said to Hell with it and pre-ordered all of my First Edition figures with BBTS. ZERO time or money wasted searching just TRU's that may or may not have them.

5. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah for specialty stuff like that, you're 100% better off buying online or spending a bit more from a specialty vendor. you're pretty much breaking even IF you're able to find it on the first hunt, when most people aren't so lucky.

for retail deluxes you can find while doing your normal shopping or to and from work routes, you don't really need to factor in gas/tolls because you were on that route for work anyway. at least that's the way I figure it.

so specialty stuff or exclusives at ONE retailer, buy online or pay a slight markup if you can.

mass retail, wait til you find it on your normal routes/shopping days.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If they say they have it, have them hold it. That way you know the trip is worth it.

7. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm afraid to call out to certain stores for figures, to avoid this exact scenario.
    Luckily, there is a Target and a Toys R Us within walking distance from my apartment, plus no sales tax (Oregon), so that $15.49 figure (if it happens to exist in a store near me) is still just $15.49 (unless it's at Target, and I use my Red card for 5% off) and some good exercise.
    I'm also cheap and refuse to pay more for a figure than I can get for another figure from the same line down the street. (This also goes for buying figures from the store website. If it's on the website, it's gotta be in the store at some point, so I don't want to spend the shipping). Needless to say, I don't have a large collection.

But I've read a lot of posts on here about people driving miles and miles just to get to the nearest Toys R Us. I didn't realize how far apart they were spread out. In the three cities that I've lived in, the furthest I've been from a TRU is 5 miles.

8. grune7

grune7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I know the feeling after tru.com canceled my swerve I'm tempted to just get him on ebay. My closest tru is at least an hour away and chances are they won't have it. I was able to get in orders for the rest of the dwluxes and legends oh and mp prime and went with bbts for the FEs. All I need are the voyagers and swerve and this headache will be over with.

9. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I did. The person never followed through, or someone else saw it and they gave it to them.

10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Just retail + tax. I'm off at school and I don't have a car. I get free bussing to the Walmart.

11. Compewtrawn

Compewtrawn Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    costs me $5 to ship stuff to Cali from NJ and costs me $12 plus gas to go 15 miles to my buddy's place in Staten Island

Online is great

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yep, my local TRU is 27 miles from my house. WAY too much for frequent trips.

13. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I do most of my hunting on my way home from work or Yugioh tournaments, but its still pretty disheartening when I've gotta break my cycle to visit 6 different places before finding what I want, at which point the only salvation (assuming I got it anyway) is finding it sealed & not having to wait 2 weeks to get it in the mail.

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for the math!

15. s_cren

s_cren Banned

I used to go on hunts a couple times a week lol I had more time back then now I usually order online or rely on the sightings threads to find out when things are out I don't have the time nor do I want to spend the gas driving all around , now every once in a while itighr be fun to go on a hunt maybe with a Friens but not often

16. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For that reason, I started grabbing more and more preorders from BBTS and TFSource. Even if you're within 10-20 minutes from these stores... you're consuming half an hour's time on the road to get to the toy store... and gas is getting more expensive by the week.

Scalping's also proving to be a righteous pain in the ass... I reported the other day that my local TRU had GDO Legends, Deluxes and 3 MP TCs. Lamentably, I had to return my TC for a cracked windshield. (I hadn't noticed until the next morning when reviewing my photos...) I go back to consider an exhange... I'm forced to return him as *everything* was gone. No GDOs, no MPs. Zilch. Imagine reading the forums saying "spotted X, Y, and Z! GO NAO!" and take a trip to find none of it? =(

17. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

MP TC is up on the website right now. It will save you another trip.

18. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the heads up.

Alucard77 also didn't mention another rather important factor to a hunt... There's an old saying "Time is money." If you're spending half an hour, an hour, or even two hours to make a trip to a store... is it not worth something? If you're stuck in traffic, you're burning more gas, time, and also probably going to get a bit annoyed too.

19. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Reasons why 95% of my purchases are online

20. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I thought of adding that, but realistically I am doing my hunting after work and so on, so I did not want to equate time to it all.