What a 90 year old thought.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dinobot Nuva, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    My Grandpa is a recovering stroke patient at his local hospital out in Utah. Earlier this year he lost complete control over the right side of his body, and has been in the hospital doing physical therapy to try and get to the point where he can be sent home, albeit with continued aid.

Yesterday was his last day, after several brutal months of having to learn how to walk again and what not, the hospital took him and a couple other physical therapy patients to the movies (it was a rainy day anyway, not like they could go chill in the park). I called him last night to see how he was doing and he was like "Guess what!? They took me to see them Transformers!".

He can only speak with half of his mouth so I probably didn't catch everything he said, but I listened intently as usual.

What did the 90-something year old like about ROTF?
    -The cars, he's always been big on the auto scene, nice wide variety of flashy driveables
    -The cool yellow camaro being a robot and a slick car (he hasn't seen the first film)
    -The crazy mom at the college
    -The big red/blue robot with the deep voice

What didn't the 90-something year old like about ROTF?
    -Length. He said he felt like the movie was going to end several times and ZAP some other stuff starts happening.
    -The volume, he said it was VERY loud. I've heard other people mention how the volume seemed cranked on this movie, but this could've just as well been a hearing aid issue (he's had one for 5 years and still hasn't quite figured it out).

All in all though, he talked like he really enjoyed it. I'm sure it was a treat just to be able to go out and be somewhere besides the hospital for a while. He was the most excited I'd heard him in weeks while he was telling me what he thought about it, which is always a plus. Just figured this "different" take on it would be kind of interesting, seeing as how the majority of opinions we've heard have come from fans (in both camps on their view points) and paid critics.

2. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    thats awesome!roger ebert can suck IT!!!!!

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

How intelligent...Surprised you didn't say Ebert could suck Devastator's balls.

And DN, awesome that you're grandfather got to see the movie. I'm kinda surprised the hospital would take a stoke victim to see such a loud and flashy movie. Good for him that he liked it though.

4. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    This is just....awesome! :D 

Too bad my grandpa hates loud movies; my family and I want to take him and grandma to ROTF. My grandma, believe it or not, was up to it (she even watches wrestling). However, my grandpa hated the idea and said "I don't like them damn loud movies!". Aw well, you can't blame him. He's on blood thinners, has breathing problems, etc. He likes to kick back and watch old westerns instead.

5. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    what a nice feelgood story, this made me smile after a 10 hour nightmare shift.

6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    what a wonderful thing, i wish i could experience something like this with my grandpa (both were long dead before i was born :(  )

glad to hear he is doing good and glad he can enjoy something like this and have something to share with someone he loves....a nice change of pace from the movie bashing of the forums (don't get a fight started now in here)

7. ROTF Sideswipe

ROTF Sideswipe Scientist

That's awesome! I like hearing that. I hope he gets better soon.

8. Seeker24

Seeker24 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    thats awesome .. best wishes to your grandpa...

9. The Matrix

The Matrix The Blue Glowing Thing

Thank you for sharing this, really put a smile on my face. It's nice to hear that older generations can enjoy this movie too. :) 

You thinking about watching the first Transformers with him?

10. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is awesome! I tried to drag my 70 year old grandmother but she just wouldn't go. She said she hasn't been to a movie theatre since my grandpa passed and doesn't plan on doing it ever again. She did watch the '07 movie when i got it on DVD (even stood in line with me to buy it at Best Buy, LOL). I hope he has many more memories to share with you for a long time...

11. red4

red4 Banned

Calling it now: Your grandpa is Jetfire! (in the sense that he's an awesome old man; not the cranky old Decepticon thing)

12. Travicon

Travicon Nerdbot

great story, thank for that! :) 

13. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's actually a really cool thing for the hospital to do. I'm glad your grandpa liked it, sounds like he had a good time at the movies.

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

All my grandparents passed away so it's really nice and heartwarming to know your grandpa likes the movie. I hope he'll live for a very long time and enjoy many more TF movies.

15. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks for the kind words folks. Fantastic change of pace in this forum, thanks much!

16. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    This is a sweet story..makes you feel all happy inside! :) 

17. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    thats such a nice thing to read this morning

18. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

All the more to prove that this movie is intended more at the casual viewer rather than Tfans. Yeah, big whoop, I know.

Glad that gramps enjoyed it, though. :D 

19. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

thats cool man its nice to hear a story like that

20. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I recall Lorenzo di Bonaventura said these movies are made for those aged eight to eighty, but nice to know your 90-year old grandfather enjoyed it. Best wishes.