What 80s/early 90s cartoons do feel need to be revived?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by MST3KFan, Apr 16, 2011.

1. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

First of all, this is gonna be a LONG post...

80s and early 90s properties are hot. At least for the most part in the cartoon world and somehat in the toy aisles. We're seeing a revival of many things a good number of us saw as children that are now being brought to the attention of our children.

Transformers (Transformers Animated and Transformers Prime) and G.I.Joe (G.I.Joe Resolute and G.I.Joe Renegades) have gotten new shows in some form for a little while now.
    Other franchise revivals have just started up recently as well (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic), or are being worked on such (Thundercats and Voltron).
    Others have tried and sadly failed even (Masters of the Universe 2002) and yet others prospered (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2002 and upcoming Nick show version).

Thing is, many of these revivals obviously have changed a number of things. Most of what we recall in terms of characters and plot may still be there, but a lot of things are more or less updated from the 80s since a lot of things in cartoons back then can be nowadays seen probably as cheesy.

TMNT became more edgy and dark and less about pizza and 'Cowabunga'. Transformers had Megatrons whom wouldn't take crap from their Starscreams and even kill them for betrayal. G.I.Joe lost soldiers and we saw how Cobra agents got transformed into what they are...

It got me thinking. There are a lot of 80s and early 90s franchises still out there that probably could be revived if a studio were interested enough to go for it.

What franchise from the 80s/90s would you like to see revived, AND how would you make it more modernized?

Go crazy people, if you have a lot to write down that would be on your mind for something you'd like to see revived, do it. I know I'm not holding back on my idea of a show that could be cool to see revived for modern audiences.

One I have in mind would be one not many seem to remember...

Dinosaucers (1987-88) -

YouTube - Dinosaucers (Dinoplativolos)(English)(OP&ED)(1987)

Dinosaucers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The original show lasted 65 episodes and sadly didn't get toys despite almost getting them given how a company had made prototypes and everything.

It was similar to most 80s properties at the time in that there were two warring factions, the heroic Dinosaucers led by their leader Allo, and evil Tyrannos led by Genghis Rex, fighting each other both on their homeworld Reptilon and on Earth. Each group is composed of intelligent anthropomorphic dinosaurs or other prehistoric reptilian species flying around in spaceships. And with the good guys, can switch back and forth into normal dinosaurs at will with a button on their suits.

Obviously the good guys also had human allies, in this case 4 teens they gave rings to communicate with as well as give them each a seperate power and even flying vehicles.

There was a lot of silliness and comic relief here and there and a lot of filler episodes. Basically the classic 80s stuff we had in cartoons of the time, but it worked. (Though not enough it seems given how it's not as widly remembered as stuff like Transformers or G.I.Joe.)
    But seriously, intelligent humanoid dinosaurs that fly in spaceships, fighting each other in a huge war!? It's so silly it's awesome.

For an update, I'd imagine obviously a much more serious tone to it. The war bringing a lot of destruction to the main characters' planet of Reptilon, destroying most of it and thus bringing them to Earth. The Tyrannos wanting to destroy the humans to take over the planet after ravaging their own homeworld and start anew. The Dinosaucers trying to save the Earth from the Tyrannos and prevent what they did to their home planet from happening again.

The Tyrannos for the most part were bumbling villains most of the time in the 80s toon. Even the leader Genghis Rex tended to be unable to really do much threatening stuff, so by making them much more capable of doing things. Like little things building up to a bigger plan.
    Maybe like in recent stuff for Transformers, keep the leader, Genghis Rex, in the shadows for a bit while his other minions deal with the Dinosaucers until he feels he has to step in.
    Ankylo was Genghis Rex's assistant, so in a way, kind of his Starscream, so maybe make him a cowardly but devious planner.
    Brachio was the muscle, so basically make him simply the quiet enforcer.
    Quackpot was the comic relief, so maybe make him a more Joker-like monster in that he's insane but efficient at doing what he's supposed to do.
    Styraco is apparently an ex-dentist in the old cartoon, so maybe make him an interrogator that inflicts pain on vistims due to his past.
    Plesio would be was the inventor/aquatic member of them team, so he could be played up as a bit of a mad scientist that experiements on others.
    Finally, Terrible Dactyl...the spy for the Tyrannos. Basically keep him in that role and increase his spy-like qualities to where he's kind of like a ninja maybe.

The Dinosaucers would largely still be the same personality wise though the leader Allo I think could have more of a past maybe with Genghis Rex that gets him to be more of a leader and try to be more heroic. Maybe a former mentor or friend of his was killed by Rex or something.
    The rest of the cast would be similar to their old counterparts, but changed enough to where they would be seen in a more modern way.
    Bronto Thunder (though I wonder if that name would need to be changed) was the muscle of the crew and generally second-in-command.
    Dimetro was the brains and mechanic with a Scottish-accent (!?).
    Stego was the new recruit with untapped potential.
    Tricero was the loner, ex-detective/police officer.
    Teryx was the sole female member as well as inventor from time to time.
    Ichy was the aquatic expert whom could communicate with aquatic life.
    And finally...Bonehead...the dim-witted comic relief character...Yeah, he'd be toned down as he could almost reach JarJar levels of annoying, but thankfully not.

Keep the spaceships and increase their screentimes to be actually doing a lot more fighting. Epic space battles would be cool and not sticking to simply Earth and stuff. Both sides had individual ships as well as a mothership and bases set up in different areas. The Dinosaucers base in an old inactive volcano and the Tyrannos base is under a tar pit.

Then we come to the human allies of the Dinosaucers, the Secret Scouts. That name...ugh, it sounds more like something from Sailor Moon then anything. Anything would be better... Just that name for them has to go.
    There's the twin siblings Ryan and Sara Spencer, Paul, and David.

Ryan was kind of the leader of the four, though Sara tended to be the most focused on with her gymnastic skills and her attempts at teaching the Dinosaucers human culture.
    Paul was the brainy one that basically hung out with the Dinosaucers more because he was fascinated by them. David was the 'bad boy', the rebel of the group that would do his own thing.

Honestly, aside from the 80s looks, not much to change except maybe give us a bit of an origin story behind them. The original show just had it that they met the Dinosaucers as they landed and joined up with them in the opening credits.
    Maybe have things first introduce us to the twin siblings Ryan and Sara as they try to fit in at their new school and first encounter Paul and David briefly, but that's just establishment to them at first.
    Like the twins would be the first to discover the Dinosaucers or rather end up in between a battle they're having with the Tyrannos that initially the DInosaucers didn't want Earth people to know about. At first Allo would not want humans involved, but would see it being their planet, they are involved and so on...
    Over time the brainy one Paul finds out about things and joins up because he wants to know about these 'aliens' from another world, and maybe finally David, whom initially would come off as not wanting to have anything to do with the others as the loner and kind of jerk kid they just know from school, but finally see what the Dinosaucers are trying to do for his planet and feel he should be just as much a part of.

The kids in the original had a lot of screen time with the Dinosaucers, but since the dinos were supposed to be the main focus, their roles would be more toned down in that they're there, but not there to be what the Dinosaucers depend on for things. (Seriously, most of the time the kids were what saved the day)

They'd also still get the ring communicators/powers. Sara's gave her super jumping abilities, Paul's was super fast running, Ryan and David's powers...I don't recall ever being shown. Maybe make David's super strength, and Ryan's being the leader type..umm...enhanced senses like hearing, seeing, etc...
    And also their personal vehicles could be shown come into play when they focus on them being built or something.

So basically all of the original show's ideas would stay intact for the most part, but it would be much more mature and less comedy then the original had. The villains would be competent, the Dinosaucers would have reasons to fight the Tyrannos a bit more relating to their backgrounds, and the humans while there, would not be the ones to full heartedly save the day.

The first season would be origin build-up. Starting with the war on Reptilon, showing the characters fighting and leading up to the Tyrannos leaving Reptilon, feeling the planet is doomed and they need to take over another planet like it, that planet is Earth, and the Dinosaucers follow to try and stop them from doing harm to yet another planet.
    Then showing the twin siblings as they try to deal with school and then stumbling onto a battle that brings them into encountering the Dinosaucers and eventually helping them a bit. As episodes would go on, we'd introduce more villains and allies and plot that builds up to the end of the season as the Tyrannos make their presence known to the Earth with an invention they were working on in the background to conquer the planet.

...Whew... Lots of thought right there for a cartoon show revival. Still, I remember this show as a kid. Heck, you can watch all the episodes on YouTube if you want or Amazon has some way to watch the first season on their site even. Sadly no DVD release.

So...what are your guys' ideas for 80s/early 90s cartoon shows in need of revival?
    MASK? Silverhawks? Mighty Orbits? Anything in from our childhood is fair game. Pitch your thoughts, your ideas, your stories. Let's hear them all as we continue to get new Transformers shows among a few others.

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Centurions by a mile.

Updates... reset the time to something a bit futher ahead maybe 'late' 21st century instead of 21st century.

Other then that, I can't really think of much... aside from making the Assualt Weapons systems more diverse, ie, Ace McClouds Skyknight was all round, Skybolt was heavy duty and Orbital Interceptor was obviously for space, but Max Rays Tidal Blast was only slightly different to Cruiser, and IIRC used a lot because it had a tow cable...

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
  4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Totally MASK. I think it'd work the same now as then, not much needed in the way of upgrades or tweaks. It'd got a timeless formula that would adapt well.

Centurions also gets my vote. Another one that adapts well.

5. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

If Power Rangers continues its mountainous upward trend, I'd love to see Saban revisit Masked Rider, with some of the newer, more approachable series. OOO has enough forms and gimmicks to keep the toyline happy.

6. MST3KFan

I could guess MASK was gonna be one a number of people felt in need of revival, hence I didn't post it myself.

Still, Hasbro gave fans a nod with the Matt Trakker figure in the G.I.Joe 25th Anniversary line. Why not get a full flegded series going again? It combined things from both Transformers and G.I.Joe in it own way.

Updating wise, I'd guess aside from the occasional silly plots many 80s toons suffered from, maybe more modern vehicles? Like Matt Trakker's T-Hawk could be a modern Camaro or something?

7. soundwaveprime1

soundwaveprime1 Well-Known Member

Dinosaucers did have toys, but they only got released in Brazil

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    MASK, Jayce and the Wheeled warriors, Dinoriders.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The 1994 Spider-Man animated series is still unfinished. Quit leaving us all in suspense already, Marvel.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    In a sense, Stealth Force is a perfect way to revive part of the line's gimmick of transforming vehicles. I'm surprised we've not see a MASK homage in there already.

11. MST3KFan

Mentioned this. It sucks to know that they had figures of almost all the dinos made and then had plans worked out to make the vehciles the kids drove and spaceships each dino flew in.

STA: --== Dinosaucers ==-- The Unproduced Toy Line

I think the biggest mistake made here was they didn't release the toys before the show debutted so as to drive interest. I remember when the TMNT first came out in the 80s, the toyline popped up on shelves before the cartoon and it got my interest piqued.
    Dinosaucers probably could have been a hit, but just bad planning. I mean it lated 65 episodes, basically a whole year and no toys on shelves for kids to buy when it was a decade of cartoons being toyline advertisements?

I remember shows like Bionic 6 and Spiral Zone having toys on the shelves even.

12. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Yeah.

Anyway, Captain Planet.

13. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

80s:

Dinoriders
    C.O.P.S. (Bulletproof's famous line "It's crime fighting' time!")
    MASK
    Pole Position
    Kidd Video

90s:

Conan the Barbarian
    Bots Master
    Bucky O'Hare

14. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

Swat Kats for sure.

15. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Ghostbusters. I want a new Ecto-1.

16. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Bionic Six
    M.A.S.K.
    Dinosaucers
    Silverhawks
    C.O.P.S.
    Swat Kats

17. MST3KFan

Lots of people seem to have lots of great shows on mind they want to see revived for the modern audience, but not a lot of ideas for how to modernize them?

Funny thing to notice and tragically it still happens today is a lot of these cartoosn never got at least to have a final episode to try and clear up as much in the end as possible. Of course, most never had origin stories outside of the opening title sequences anyway.

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I didn't think M.A.S.K. needed any ideas to modernize it. The concept carries over very well. Especially with the introduction of Stealth Force and Mech Tech. Hasbro could easily launch a M.A.S.K. line as a spin off of the movie line. Use the movie military characters in the cartoon.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Darkwing Duck - Just adapt the new comic series.

20. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Darkwing Duck
    Batman Beyond
    New Beast Wars series set in Prime universe after that series ends.