WFC Siege Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by openchallenge, Nov 9, 2018.

1. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    anyone got comparisons of his alt mode vs univ 2.0 swipe's alt mode?

2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This good enough?

20181231_220030_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Sideswipe's altmode looks the way this song sounds:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally got my shipment from BBTS and really like this guy. He looks buff and solid in robot mode, has a very intuitive and non-frustrating transformation (and the little flip out side panels were a nice touch), and looks fantastic as a car.

Joints on his feet were slightly tight on mine. Lot of resistance to folding up for vehicle mode, but otherwise great.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Mine had a lot of paint issues, returning him soon, but yeah he has my favorite Transformation in years. Can't wait to get this guy back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Che

Che Well-Known Member

For me, the only problem with this new sideswipe is that the feet don't move up and down, which is bad for kneeling... Everything would be perfect with a ball joint for the feet... oh well... It seems possible to fix it by sanding the joint...

By the way, Hasbro/Takara also needs to understand that movement in the ankles from side to side means outward AND INWARD movement. Inward movement would help a lot in poses where the figure stands with only one foot on the floor... Again, good old cheap ball joint would help...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  7. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    I think it's because of Weaponizers. They designed them to carry a load. So they purposefully axed forward and backward motion. Also made the arm joints super stiff across the board.

8. Spicytron

Spicytron Well-Known Member

Honestly? with how almost everyone has had fixed-ankle A-stances for the last 3 lines, I will take whatever ankle tilt they are willing to put on a deluxe figure.

I agree with DB Snarl though, the tight joints and no forward/backward tilt is probably because of the weaponizers.

9. Housewife2000

Housewife2000 Fandom, combine!

I’m not exaggerating when I say I’ve been waiting 10 years for this guy. Ever since I picked up 2008’s CHUG Sunstreaker, I’ve been looking for a Sideswipe to go with him. The Universe Sideswipe was a clever retool of his brother, but it didn’t feel right buying the same figure again, and I found the FOC version to be an undersized, oddly designed mess. I was hesitant that this new Siege figure would feel undersized as well, particularly in alt mode, but I actually think they look cool together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it’s in bot mode where they really shine, and I love how the differences between them play to their characterisations: Henkei Streaker is one tall, stylish and damn handsome bot with a slightly more finicky transformation and some lovely (and appropriate) shiny chrome. Meanwhile, Siege Sideswipe is a broad brawler covered in scratches and scrapes and with a straightforward (though enjoyable) transformation – like I love how his abdomen folds over his face in alt mode, or how the car doors lock everything together.

And the difference in stature works: Sideswipe is literally in his brothers’ shadow, which feels very much in keeping with how they started out in IDW. But he’s also bad ass enough to clearly move beyond all that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my first figure from the Siege line and I am very impressed. Sideswipe is absolutely solid.

• Like Like x 11
  10. AutobotStrider

AutobotStrider Well-Known Member

Mine has a blob on his chin which is rather annoying. Have bought a second one in hopes that he is better.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    I was surprised how much I liked him.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

The holes in alt mode are perfect for Spy Hunter style roadrage.

Or he can be awkward about it.

Ultra Magnus (22).JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  13. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Welp... I know what i'm going to be doing with my afternoon.

Good catch!

• Like Like x 2
  14. DaftRaider

DaftRaider Sir Not-a-Decepticon

News Credits:
    "Cut ME off, will you?!"

• Like Like x 6
  15. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Prelude: Recently I’ve begun most of my reviews with a funny or informative (both when possible) intro text of some kind or other. In case of Siege Sideswipe, though, I can’t really think of anything. So instead I’ll relate the tale of my niece’s very expensive Christmas gift, an interactive doll, breaking down a mere two days later, which led to my brother-in-law and me making an emergency run to our local Toys R’Us. We managed to snatch the next-to-last of those same dolls and the day was saved. So with that feeling of triumph and having discovered a soon-to-expire discount voucher in my pocket, I ended up treating myself to Siege Sideswipe, despite having skipped him the first time around. Here’s why I should have kept things that way.

Robot Mode:
    Let me start this portion here by saying that there is nothing inherently bad about this Sideswipe robot. He’s a decent Deluxe-class figure with no major problems and upholds many of the quality standards we have seen in the other figures of the Siege toy line. He is very nicely articulated, including tilting ankles, twisting wrists, the works. He comes with numerous 5mm ports to attach additional weaponry. At first glance he is yet another excellent Deluxe-class figure from a very good toy line.

At second glance, though, there are a few issues. No major ones, mind you, but quite a few. One, Sideswipe has that nipple on his chest, which is there so you can attach a blasting effect from one of the Battlemasters. The problem is, it’s too small, the blasting effects simply fall off. Second, the 5mm holes on his arms are slightly too large, so any weapons put in there are very, very wobbly. Third, he has the dreaded battle damage detailing. Much like Hound he only has it in two spots that look like metal, making for a very nice worn metal look. It makes sense on the shins and feet. But he also has it across his entire hip plate, which just seems… weird. Were the Decepticons deliberately aiming for his waistline during battle?

Sideswipe comes with two weapons, a black launcher for his shoulder and a red gun for his hand. Like all Siege weapons these can also combine, but by God, they are the most boring weapons in the Siege toy line yet, be it combined or separate. On top of all that is the fact that Sideswipe is simply yet another hood-as-chest car-Transformer the likes of which we’ve seen hundreds of. Which isn’t bad, mind you, but nothing to brag about, either. So bottom line for the robot mode: boring. Sideswipe would have needed SOMETHING here to offset his few minor issues, but he doesn’t.

Alternate Mode: Let’s face it, very few of the supposed “Cybertronian” vehicle modes in the Siege toy line actually look the part. Most of them look like Earth vehicles with a very, very slight twist to make them look somewhat futuristic and/or alien. And then there is Sideswipe, who doesn’t even make the effort to look like anything but an expensive Italian sports car. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a very nice-looking Italian sports car. Streamlined, great look, no visible robot parts, ports to attach weapons, it works just fine. But much like in robot mode, there is nothing to impress here. Just another Transformers robot that transforms into a nice-looking sports car. Not bad, but not in any way memorable, either.

Remarks: Sideswipe has been a common name in Transformers ever since he was part of the original G1 Ark crew. He’s been present in pretty much every G1-based media and toy line and the name (and red sports car altmode) was used for one of the main characters in Robots in Disguise (2015), too. Thing is, for all that Sideswipe (the G1 version) has been around for so long, he’s never really been more than just another Autobot warrior. We’ll see if that changes anytime soon, but I’m not holding my breath.

The thing about Sideswipe (the Siege figure) is not that he is a bad toy, far from it. It’s more that there is really nothing about him that impresses, either. Sure, he is well-articulated. So are all the other Siege figures. He can wield lots of weapons. So can all the other Siege figures. Plus there are the other things like a clearly non-Cybertronian vehicle mode, the very boring weapons, the strangely applied battle damage, and his single nipple that can’t hold a blasting effect. None of it is big, but it adds up. At the end of the day Sideswipe feels like he is simply there to fill a quota, like Hasbro needed another Deluxe-class figure to fill out the first wave of Siege figures and picked Sideswipe’s name out of a hat with very little love or attention to detail going into the toy. Again, he’s not bad, but compared to almost everything else the Siege line has shown us so far, he is simply unremarkable. I’ll definitely skip the Red Alert repaint. Recommended to Sideswipe fans and Siege completists only.

Rating: C+

Source: Transformers-Universe.com

• Like Like x 5
  16. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  17. Negronicus

Negronicus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Philister let me down AGAIN. A+ Lamboformer son, A+!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not on my sheet, sorry. I found him really disappointing.

19. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Where are y'all getting your Sideswipes? I had the opportunity to get one in December, but I was like, "well, why don't I see what Santa brings"...guess what Santa didn't bring?

So, now, I'm stuck waiting for the Siege Deluxes to come back to Target. That way, I can price match it with the HTS listing (which I screenshotted, worrying the price would change or that it'd get taken down, which it did) and then use my Team Member discount to get it for pennies on the dollar.

• Like Like x 2
  20. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay: