WFC Siege Leader Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, Dec 19, 2018.

1. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got in WFC Siege Ultra Magnus and he is one interesting take on the Autobot soldier that we all know and love. His bot mode is almost a perfect G1 representation and his vehicle mode is clearly mean to represent RID. Out of the package I will note that he was extremely tight! Like, check the instructions to make sure I’m doing it right because I’m sure I’m about to break this thing, tight!! But with a little force it does all work.

01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg

Bot Mode:

04.jpg
    Ok, to answer the top question most people have, he does not appear to be a retool of Siege Optimus, or if he is then he is the most extensive retool I have ever seen. While their heads could be identical, I could not find one other part they share and their transformations are very different. He has great articulation and if he had been released as a standalone figure (which let’s face it, I bet one day he will be) then most people would be happy.
    05.jpg
    06.jpg

Small Cab Mode:

07.jpg
    The instructions and packaging do show this as its own mode so I have shown it. I don’t think many would be happy with it by itself though. The legs don’t transform in any significant way and his feet just hang off the back. I’ll say the way the front grill moves from his back to the front is the most unique method for this that I have ever seen, though it can get very frustrating until you learn how to do it, then it’s very impressive.

C.O.M.B.A.T. Ready (since that’s what the packaging calls it):

08.jpg
    Here is his upgrade armor off of him. There is no way to assemble it in to anything useful without his bot mode, so you’re basically stuck with a bunch of pieces if you want to leave him in one of his smaller forms.

09.jpg
    Definitely how he will be living on most people’s shelves. He’s a pretty perfect homage to his G1 self. And from a weapon standpoint he is one of the most heavily armed bots we have gotten since the movie Hound figures. His standard rifle, both rocket launchers and two additional blasters that mount that store on his shins. He is big and imposing as Magnus should be.
    10.jpg

One call out is his face. I’m not sure that this comes across in my picture, but in hand I was amazed because his face looks very young, which I thought was an incredible touch. Siege is after all supposed to be set before Earth so this would be the Ultra Magnus just starting out and not the experienced soldier that we are used to seeing. It is a really small touch, but one that shows the detail work that went in to this line.

11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

Big note are his feet, they are permanently angled which means he will be standing on the outer edges of his feet if you put his legs straight down.
    14.jpg

Trailer Mode:

15.jpg
    So this mode can be a little frustrating to get perfect. There is a lot of tabbing required, the most frustrating part is tabbing it on to the rear of the cab. In addition there are a few parts you need to lock it, but you cannot effectively reach them because they are in the interior of his trailer.

Confirm one thing, there is no easy way to store extra bots inside the trailer. You could take apart one side to squeeze one in, but it would have to be very small and is clearly not designed for it. Several pieces of armor store inside the trailer and take up a lot of the space.

16.jpg
    I believe this mode is one that the fandom will have years enjoying seeing who can attach the most weapons to as that it what he basically is a weapons platform with wheels. He has a lot of ports to add more and more firepower to. Reminds me of back when people used to see how many minicons they could fit on Armada Megatron.

17.jpg
    One callout is that I adore his front grill. It is so tough looking and just looks like it was designed to drive over ‘Cons. I cannot decide if the molding is supposed to be additional guns or a very elaborate headlight system, but I’m leaning towards guns.

Overall:

Very happy with this guy even though we so recently got an Ultra Magnus, I think I prefer him to the previous Generations Leader one.

• Like Like x 51
  2. alteisen99

alteisen99 Well-Known Member

any of the joints have ratchets in them?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I could have sworn there were pics floating around that show him having ankle tilts.
    If he doesn't, that's a bit disappointing.

• Like Like x 8
  4. ChErikS

News Credits:
    I'll check him again this evening, but I didn't see how they could. Maybe I was too quick.

• Like Like x 7
  5. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Yea, that is a bit of a bummer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Optimugatron

Optimugatron Well-Known Member

Considering how pretty much ever other deluxe and up figure has ankle tilts I would be shocked and disappointed if this guy does not have them. I am beginning to feel that ankle tilts should become standard articulation considering how much if affects posing.

I had spent nearly $50 on an upgrade kit to give CW Ultra Magnus ankle and wrist articulation (the rest of the kit was of no interest to me), so you might understand how important it is to me if this guy has it. Otherwise he looks amazing, and the battle damage on him actually looks good!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dachande

News Credits:
    Yeah, I want to replace that awful IDW Magnus and this one will do nicely, even without ankle tilts (if it truly doesn't have them).

• Like Like x 7
  8. Optimugatron

Thanks for the pictorial and review! Excellent work on both! I have been greatly anticipating this guy, and you did him justice.

9. Optimugatron

I actually liked him very much, even not caring about IDW. I also didn't expect to get a worthy replacement so soon. I never had FP City Commander as that was before I even knew about 3P figures and upgrades. Ultra Magnus is one of my favorite characters, and the CW figure did a good job of representing him, even with IDW inspiration. The inner bot never did matter to me much, even though I actually had him as a child. If that had bothered me, I could have gotten the PE figure.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ChErikS

News Credits:
    So I went as far back as July in the Generations News and I couldn't find a single image where his feet are straight. Even the Takara Skymall listing has them at an angle:
    トランスフォーマー シージ SG-07 ウルトラマグナス

The closest to them looking straight was at the SDCC preview breakfast, but even there it is simply unclear if they're at an angle or straight. Again, I'll check mine tonight when I get home.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dachande

News Credits:
    I just didn't like the added stylization the CW figure had. It was decent, but didn't stay on my "current focus" shelf more than a week or so because it just never sat right with me.
    This new one will definitely be there for some time, right acrossfrom Sixshot.

• Like Like x 5
  12. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm very conflicted about this guy; I LOVE both robot modes; even preferring the small bot to Siege Prime's design. I like how the small Magnus head is inspired more by the G1 toy whereas the Seige prime head is inspired more by the cartoon.

That said, I just can;t seem to warm up to either vehicle mode: the cab or fully combined. I liked RIDs Magnus well enough, but his flashy car-carrier felt very of-the-moment. The lack of large-bot ankle tilt is a huge bummer.

That all being said, if they make a Powered Convoy version, I'd likely snap it up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Optimugatron

Completely understandable. Generations had led me to be flexible in the interpretations that had been released. A lot of the outstanding figures released before the Prime Wars Trilogy had heavy IDW influences, but were still amazing figures and updates of the characters. Gen 30 Springer and Sandstorm come to mind as does Skids. CW Ultra Magnus exceeded my expectations and was my favorite figure in the line.

Since then, I have come to like the idea of doing a separate set for the Wreckers as I like the concept of an Autobot black ops team. CW UM will be going to them now. While my collection is very focused on G1 updates of the Sunbow cartoon characters, I have often picked figures for characters that don't fit simply because they are good figures, hence purchases for the likes of MMC Carnifex (Overlord). If money is available, I prefer not to miss out on great main line figures, even if they aren't perfect fits for my collection.

As always, to each their own.

• Like Like x 1
  14. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really looking forward to this
    Pretty sure the head are different, different number of slats in the crest

Interesting comparison on Twitter this morning of Siege Magnus' Inner Robot and the Op on the new IDW TF#1 Cover

snakas on Twitter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was also a reminder as to where I'd seen the leg guns before

snakas on Twitter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All of which strengthens the case for what his retool will be.

• Like Like x 17
  15. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    man, that armored mode looks fucking great. i never liked the "guy in a suit" concept though, and prefer rid magnus as a wholly separate character, so... i think mp pagnus is still my favorite execution of the character. i can definitely see the appeal for this guy, though.

16. LoserBroadside

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Agreed. Plus the cover of the comic showing a retool of the Magnus cab as Prime seems to have the Cybertron Prime chest.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Skreeonk

Skreeonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He looks & sounds fantastic. My only gripe is the battle damage on his thighs. With all the armor on it's fine, but without it just looks kinda sloppy. I love the all white Prime look, and will probably be displaying him like that, so I'll be removing the splotches. Very minor gripe though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *sigh* He looks good in pics, he really does, but he doesn't do it for me. Too small, way too partsformery and the lack of an ankle tilt is just a bad design choice. I'm sure they had their reasons, but not good enough for me. I do much enjoy Ultra Magnus being one whole character instead of a white Prime in armor or the dude inside a dude, whatever thing they've had going on. Both the MP and CW versions do this better, in my book.

This does look nice, though. I'm really impressed they put the battle damage paint on unpainted areas so people can clean them as they see fit. That was really cool of Has/Tak. (They knew people would modify them. lol)

19. LoserBroadside

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I really liked that gun when it was red with a touch of silver. Not a fan of their last-minute decision to just drop the whole thing in a bucket of silver paint.

20. PrimalFury

PrimalFury The Chosen One

News Credits:
    May I ask where and how you have this figure? My country barely has anything. I'm surprised that no one has asked, I didn't see anyone above ask where you got this, is it in retail in your country? Sorry if someone already asked and I missed it and thank you for sharing.