WFC: Ruling Class vs Labor Class

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Transformed, May 29, 2010.

1. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Isn’t this the heart of the conflict of War For Cybertron, the beginning of the Great War?

Here’s the question: who’s the ruling class the Autobots or the Decepticons?

Looking at the story from the original cartoon’s point of view, I would say the Decepticons, being the stronger beings and the military power no less would have been the ruling class, while the Autobots were the ones doing the labor.

However, I’m beginning to feel that this is how Megatron got his forces—I like it! What if it the conflict of the Great War all started with the Autobots’ arrogance? Sort of makes the Autobots look evil, and explains why Megatron sees himself as the hero in this tale. Megatron ups the ante whenever the chance arises and perhaps it is because of these actions (killing, destroy or what have you) that the Decepticons are branded as power hungry evil beings.

What do you think?

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure the origin of the war varies from incarnation to incarnation, but in the scenario you proposed, the 'Autobots' are the ones in power before the war.

I used the apostrophes because the Autobots in the war are not technically 'just' rulers, and neither are the Decepticons just oppressed slaves.

IDW's Megatron origin gives a pretty logical vision on what *could* have happened: Elite bots ruling over Cybertron have become corrupt, or lost touch with what 'the people' need - or at least those in the lower castes. Characters from these castes start revolution. Grow in size due to relying on criminals and bad characters joining their ranks. On the other hand, the 'authorities' are forced to intervene, gaining more and more support from the regular civilians, who will start seeing the Decepticons as terrorists (because they are not only attacking the elite ruling class of Cybertron, but also the common people and their way of life). This way the two sides are created.

The ruling class vs labor class is something entirely different from the 'labor robots vs military robots' the Autobots and Decepticons have sometimes been divided in (original G1 cartoon, Animated).

3. Nightmare966

Nightmare966 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think there are no cons and bots really defined before the War. However, when whatever event affects Megatron and company, who are working class, they decide to revolve. As Megs sees a corrupt world, which doesn't deserve their rights anymore, The "Rulers" want to solve the conflict. However, Megatron and Soundwave recruit Cybertronians from all over the planet, and name themselves Decepticons. And for that reason, Megatron sees himself as a hero who's about to reform Cybertron to former glory.

That's the way I see it. Not all Autobots have to have been elite or corrupt, but the most important ones might have.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found this humorous as the Autobots or Iacons citizens (whatever they call themselves at this point in the story) are the ruling class, ruling Cybertron. At least, all the pictures we’ve seen of Cybertron would make one believe that Iacon is an aristocracy with all its fine art decorating the city’s streets and architecture from the inside out. And lets not forget the scene in one of the trailers with Optimus, Ratchet and Bumblebee coming before the High Council (at least it looks like a High Council type of place).

It’ll be interesting to see if the Autobots were corrupt? If the Autobots were corrupt, wouldn’t more rally behind Megatron? His army would be comprised of muscle, which is the way his lineup looks now.

I think the conflict isn’t about corruption, but fairness. One has to wonder why no Decepticon or labor members sat on the high council. Probably a caste issue, but what are the chances of the Great War starting all because one labor worker, Megatron, wanting a seat on the High Council, but of course was denied?

5. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Well, from the video footage and sound clips we've heard, we know that Megatron's overall goal is a commune-like autocracy with himself in charge. We've heard him urging everyone to give up their free-will and follow his vision.

There must be some reason why he actually is able to get followers for such a bold movement though. If everything were peachy on Cybertron then nobody would support him. Perhaps the current leadership, the Primes, which as far as I can tell are more of an oligarchy than a republic or democracy, is lcorrupt.

Mostly I just hope that we get a story that is a little less 2 dimensional than "heroic autobots vs evil decepticons" Megatron might just be a bastard out for more power, but he's at least got to have some way to convince others that his way is needed.

6. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True, but Megatron has only thugs, from what we've seen, supporting him.

I can see this being the case.

Me too! It's time to step it up a notch, giving the story some depth, which is what High Moon set out to do.

He says he wants to return Cybertron to glory. What is this glory he speaks of and how was it lost?

7. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Yeah, the "thugs" thing worries me. One thing about Transformers that always bothered me was that good and evil were so obviously opposite. That's not how it is in real life. It makes it hard for you to care about any of the Decepticons, since they're basically all mustache twirling villians. Hope we get some depth and backstory for the characters. It would also help if we saw some of the autobots "cross the line" and do some pretty brutal or oppressive things. Prime obviously should not do this...he's basically the savior of the race, truly "good." But not all the autobots should be that way. Grimlock and Jetfire both have great potential to be conflicted characters. I would actually have liked to see Grimlock appear as a Decepticon in this prequel. Instead, he's apparently not appearing at all 8(

8. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well this game doesn't quite cover the causes for the war does it? Megatrons' already thrown down the gauntlet "to return us to glory" and rendered the Autobots leaderless (so Optimus has to step up). This incarnation seems to be very much one arrogant leader attempting to seize power and subjugate the civilian populace with his soldiers' brawn, and starts gaining allies in high places (like Starscream and Shockwave, who of course see Megatron as a stepping stone for their own authority).

9. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope we get some Decepticons with depth too. Another character I think would work as a Decepticon first or one to cross over after some time would be Mirage. Wasn’t he the guy who wasn’t fully sold on the Autobots’ cause?

I definitely like the idea of an Autobot crossing the line, it would make an interesting twist in story and make us, the viewers, wonder if what the Autobots are doing is indeed right. What I like about War For Cybertron is how Megatron sees himself as a hero, not a villain. I hope the story paints him in a way that we might interpret him as such.

Isn’t the Decepticon campaign about Megatron’s rise to power? The story has to cover something about it. It doesn’t have to be the whole tale, but a good deal of it, at least the crucial moment that set everything in motion.

Starscream as character of high social status sounds cool actually. Is he the first of the ruling class to cross over to Megatron’s side? What could Megatron have promised him to get him to give what he already had.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Your ideas are interesting, but I think always at the core of the Transformers mythos has been the simple difference of philosophy of the Autobots and the Decepticon.

Autobots: Believe in keeping peace and not threatening other worlds or societies. They see the Decepticons as hostile and believe the responsible thing to do for the greater good is to stop them.

Decepticons: The ultimate goal is to expand as much as possible, to bring their rulership to as many worlds as they can, that all will "benefit" from the order their tyrannical rule brings. They see the Autobots as weak and complacent.

The reason Iacon looks like a paradise and Kaon looks like a slum is very simple: the Autobots' culture is peaceful, leaving time to focus on the pursuits of art and architecture. The Decepticons couldn't care less about such things, as their ideology leaves no room for it; they are all about the expansion of military power.

I don't think it's necessarily labor class vs. ruling class so much as it is domestically oriented society vs. militarily oriented society.

11. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In the classic tale, I believe you are correct, but I think things are different now.

The preface of the comic book, which preludes the events of War For Cybertron, speaks of a dispute between the ruling class and labor being the event that brought these two factions to war.