Customs: WFC Ravager Minion and friends

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I should be getting 2 parcels today, so after school first thing to do will be testing them. :) 

2. dkr7

dkr7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yours are great but their not the wfc designs, their more classics style, i think you both have different markets - wfc & classics

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That's news to me. :p 
    I have many cases where the wall thickness goes down to 1mm, especially round the ball joints, and they're tough as anything. I think the key thing is not to have your 1mm walls everywhere. If a wall is entirely 1mm thick, it can risk breakage, but if it only has areas that go that thin, it should be fine.
    Nice designs, though! :thumb 

4. Treadshot A1

My only response to that is: shut up and go look at my WFC Sqwawk Minion that i just posted in Radicons Customs. :D 

5. Treadshot A1

Posting to say WFC Bat Minion works as well.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Pics or it didn't happen. :p 

Anyway, bedtime. I've got a parcel coming tomorrow, too. ;) 

7. Treadshot A1

Well, sometimes models fail, sometimes they succeed. And yet other times, models succeed, but just feel they need to be improved.

WFC Stego Minion by Treadshot A1 on Shapeways

Stego is one of those models. The parts came, they fit perfectly, and it works. But it's tiny. It looks more like a lizard than a Dino. When a stegosaurus is 1/8th of the size of a jaguar, there's a problem. So i uploaded version 5. This version was redesigned from scratch, nothing from the first 4 was kept. The hinge design was scrapped, instead resorting to the good old formula Ravager set, with improved ball joints and a single row of spikes on the back. The tail took inspiration from Sqwawk's transmech, folding up to form the rear in SSD form.

8. Treadshot A1

WFC Rex Minion by Treadshot A1 on Shapeways

This is version 2 of my WFC Rex Minion. The main problem with version one was that the head was mostly confide within the body due to a miscalculation with the swivel mechanism on my part. To compensate for that, this version now utilises an extra joint, which allows it to have a neck, so the head can no extend beyond the body. The downside is that instead of having a slot underneath the head for the tail to stow, the slot ends up on top of his head instead. But it's worth it for the extra neck articulation.

9. Treadshot A1

WFC Cycl-1 Minion by Treadshot A1 on Shapeways

[​IMG]

So, ever since i was a kid, i've been a fan of Robot Wars. Who doesn't love mindless destruction? Anyways, i drew inspiration from some of those robots to create Cycl-1. Congrats to anyone who figures out which robot inspired this one, and what the name means. ;) 

This model marks a few new things for me. Firstly, it is designed to be able to be printed in Alumide, having minimum 1.5mm walls. Hopefully, this will make it quite strong, especially the spikes at the front. Secondly, the wheels in this model are actually designed to be able to spin. They use a 3.2mm hole, over a 1.6mm axle. This clearance should mean it can be printed as one model, so no assembly would be required; it would come ready to use. Thirdly, the wheels exceed the top and bottom of the chassis, so the Minion is invertible.

Obviously, like all the other ones this model fits in WFC Soundwave. What purpose this minion would serve in battle is a good question. I envision it as a way of keeping the opponent on their toes, as groups of this Minion swarm around them.

Attached Files:

10. Treadshot A1

Posting to say two things:

1) Ordered more stuff. In WSF: WFC (Eject/Rewind/Flip/Rose) Minion, 3x WFC Cycl-1 Minions, misc stuff. In Alumide: 3x WFC Cycl-1 Minions, misc stuff.

2) WFC Sqwawk Minion is painted, check it out over on RC!

This means when i get the parcels, i'll end up with 6 of those Cycl-1's, which i'vce found a neat use for. Given that they are sized to fit inside Soundwave, Fremble and the Eject minions, along with their variations, should technically be able to stand on them. Exactly how well that idea will work, time will tell.

11. Treadshot A1

Posting to say i have received WFC Stego Minion and WFC Rex Minion.

Firstly, Stego broke during transport. What hope this leaves for the Eject brethren with their joints, i don't know. Calyx survived, so i'm trying to be optimistic. I have just uploaded a newer version of Stego (ver.6), which reverts to basic peg joints, so it should be fine.

WFC Rex Minion... Need to rework the hinges. While they work, due to SW printing being useless at creating holes the right diameter, pegs stand to break. Ill redo it soon, along with creating a new head. This one works, but ends up with a crazy long neck.

Hopefully next time they'll work.

12. Treadshot A1

Posting to say that you will now find, in Sqwawk's thread over in RC, WFC Beak Minion as well.

13. Treadshot A1

After getting two WFC Fremble Minions in the mail in Grey Robust, there were a few problems to be worked out, and only now, weeks later, have i actually gotten around to fixing them. They mainly revolve around the neck joint, and the thighs, as the originals were too thick and thus wouldn't fit into Soundwave.

Now, these are fixed, and i've just uploaded them. Dark Minion Fremble v2 by Treadshot A1 on Shapeways

EDIT: ordered 4 of these little buggers, two in WSF and two in BSF. Im gonna make a Rumble, Frenzy, and two Shadow Demolitions customs out of them, as I really like PE's colour scheme.

14. Treadshot A1

Okay, version came a long time ago, didn't bother to post about them since they didn't work either.

Version 3 will arrive on Monday (Sunday if you're in the States), here's a scrnsht of it in both Robot and Solid State Drive modes.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: