Customs: WFC Ravager Minion and friends

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

by on Shapeways

I was going to wait till it got here, but I just couldn't resist showing it off. This is my latest design, a minion for my WFC Soundwave. Obviously, it's designed to change from Jaguar to SSD (Solid State Drive), which then fits into WFC Soundwave's chest cavity. Yes, I am aware that the Avian Minion in Fan Art is SSD-001, the SSD call sign for both is just a neat coincidence. ;) 

Um, yeah, I hope the 3D view works better for you than it does for me... :lol 

EDIT: Here is a scrnsht of the cat mode. Took me a long time to rotate and move all the parts manually, but i got it close enough i think. SSD mode is visible through the link at the top.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Looks nice from what I can see, but the 3D view doesn't really show a lot when it's a Transformer. If you're going to show it off before you have a model, then you ought to upload some renders or screenshots of the CG model itself, in its different forms, to the product page.

You might want to reconsider the attachments for the legs. The head and tail should be fine assuming the torso halves are designed to be glued together, but if the legs are just pegged in, then you'll probably want some sort of mechanism to hold the pegs in when the legs are moved, otherwise they could easily pull out as they're rotated for articulation and transformation.

I like how his face is less obviously cat-like, as it tends to be in most of the pre-Earth comic fiction. His Cybertronian form is generally portrayed as being a bit more simian in shape, with enormous forelegs and Wolverine/mole-like claws on the arms. Maybe you could incorporate that idea.

3. Treadshot A1

I would if I knew how to render stuff and move parts... :( 

As for the legs, they are designed to be easy to remove, the reason being that I have no way of testing designs before printing, so I don't know if the legs can swivel yet. Hence, I left them removable just in case it is necessary. However, I think they should stay in relatively strongly. I'm glad you were able to piece together how he transformed, though. The torso halves will be glued together, to hold the head and tail within.

4. Treadshot A1

AM Tread Partner

A remold of my WFC Ravager Minion. Now changes between Cat and Gun. Uses a hybrid 5mm-3mm clip-peg (credit goes to Ramrider for the idea), so should work with any 5mm hand hole, and Breacher (the clip is designed to work with him, and judging from the angle, it won't work with Breakdown/SS/etc.). We all know Breacher is the only awesome one, anyways. :lol 

5. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

That's really cool. With the right level of detail, this thing will kick ass.

6. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:
    i like it. May have to get with you on the AM front about a partner for my future Rad custom. :D 

7. Treadshot A1

Thanks! I'd love to add more details, though i think i'm pushing the limits of 3D printing with some walls already. :lol 

Hmm, Lionizer? I could easily do one, the only difficult part would be sculpting a Lion head...

I'd probably remold Lionizer from...
    ---------------------------------------------

Wolf TM!!!

Yes, i have designed yet another Animal <-> Gun transformer. This ones turns into a Wolf, and like the rest, uses twin barrels for the gun mode. In this case, a 6mm main barrel, and 3mm extension barrel. So it can use the multitude of 3mm weapons i've designed, or you can even go and steal Skystalker's axe! :lol 

Also, this was designed completely independently from AM Tread Partner. Hence, it is much larger, to make it more acceptable as a gun (about twice as voluminous, i think). That also means that this unit has ankles! Yay! It actually has feet! I might go back and change the tail later, seems a bit tiny to me, but i do like the flowing feel of the current one.

This is probably going to be my new standard 'chassis', and hence all that i need to do to make Lionizer is simply change the head. Now, i'm not very good with organic specimens, my specialty is 3D geometry and the like, so that might be more work than it sounds. :lol  And for the record, the wolf head used here is partially inspired by Zoids Genius Wolf, especially the ears.

8. Treadshot A1

Just posting to say I have ordered AM Tread Partner, WFC Ravager Minion and Wolf TM, so they should arrive (among other things) within 10 working days, I.e. around Valentines day.

9. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Cool. I think looking at Zoids is EXACTLY the right idea for a project like this...

10. Treadshot A1

Okay, all three projects arrived! WFC Ravager Minion, AM Tread Partner and Wolf TM are all here, and i'm glad to report that all three work as intended as far as construction goes.

AM Tread Partner and Wolf TM both succeed in every aspect, working as guns and animals.

Sadly, the same cannot be said for WFC Ravager Minion, who won't fit into Soundwave's chest (a screw i forgot about :(  ). It's now serving as my Coffee Table-former. :lol 

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Sweet! Pics? :D 

12. Treadshot A1

Check out their individual threads over in RC! :D 

13. Treadshot A1

WFC Gorilla Minion by Treadshot A1 on Shapeways

WFC Gorilla Minion is ready! I will order him very soon, so Ravager will have a pal to hang out with.

I give up rotating the parts, though. The view on Shapeways is all you'll see until the actual model is here, for safety's sake. ;) 

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Not bad. Nice to see you've started adding some more detailing to the components. :) 

15. Treadshot A1

Yeah, the current few models you see printed were just tests to see if all the engineering worked. Now that i know what can be done and what can't, it's much safer for me to work with many more different shapes, rounded technorganics, more details, etc.

16. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    awesome project dude

17. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    very nice

I've got a TON of Ravages, but I would be interested in another BeastBox. Have you thought about weapon ports on these guys?

i.e. cat's back, gorilla's shoulders

18. Treadshot A1

I'm going for no extra parts on these guys, so no, no weapon ports as of yet. However, this guy...

WFC Bird Minion by Treadshot A1 on Shapeways

is my new WFC Bird Minion!!! (creative name, right? :lol )

He's designed to transform from SSD to bird mode, and fits in Soundwave's chest. I'll be ordering him with Gorilla very soon.

WFC Bird Minion's Bird mode is a slight misnomer. He was made to be a bird-like jet, so i didn't include legs nor a tail with this model. In place of that, however, are the twin cannons, which make up part of his body. Deadsled, i know you wanted weapons, so i worked in two guns to this model, which can rotate up and down, so he can attack other jets above him, or even shoot at enemies on the ground. Best thing is, when aimed at the ground, they double as a convenient set of legs! I know they aren't quite the 'weapon ports' you suggested, but i hope this might be a suitable replacement. :) 

I should probably say a quick thank you to Bandai's gunpla team, as his whole transformation sequence is heavily inspired by the Core Fighter of the RX-78-2 Gundam, especially the way the wings fold out. :) 

19. Treadshot A1

Ordered both.

Would there be an interest for Autobot cassettes? Things like Eject, Rewind, etc.?

I need to make a Rumble (red). :( 

20. Treadshot A1

WFC Sqwawk Minion by Treadshot A1 on Shapeways

My new WFC Sqwawk Minion! Yeah, because after Gorilla i had to do this. This one is designed to transform from SSD to Bird, so unlike Bird Minion Sqwawk has legs and a tail. I'll order him as well, asap.

*No, he doesn't combine with Gorilla. The engineering to make that is far beyond both my limits and Shapeway's limits. :(