Minor/Repaint: WFC Optimus Prime Weapons Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by JavaJim, Apr 30, 2011.

1. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    This is my first mod/kitbash ever. It started out in the General Discussions forum as I wasn't sure what I wanted it to be, and then was moved to this forum. It now has a clear goal. It will be an Armor/Weapons kit for WFC Prime that has multiple transformation capabilities.

This kit is drawing from a Bionicles, Dragon Wars, and heavily from Generations Thunderwing. It has a fairly large shield, dual turret guns, dual blades, and dual missile launcher. When complete it will combine into a small plane as an alt mode.

o Shield - May be held and/or attached to an arm.
    o Gun Turrets - Meant to be mounted over the top of a character. May be separated and attached to an arm or held as well.
    o Blades - May be held individually, held together as a dual weapon, attached to the missiles for a gun looking feature, or attached to the turrets.
    o Missiles - May be attached to properly sized female connectors on characters (arms, wings, etc), attached to the blades, or attached to the turret (forgot to picture *sigh*)

I'm just learning how to do this, so if you follow along, please feel free to make suggestions, warn me of problems/pitfalls, or point me to relevant how to's. Love doing this, and appreciate any help/feedback that I receive!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    I've decided to take these weapons and use them for Generations Cybertronian Prime. I've got it attached and mobile for the MGs/Rocket launcher in vehicle mode (see images below). I have some MG bullet strips on the way, so I may replace the huge orange hose/lines with MG bullet strips.

I've got the shield where it can be held by Prime. Still need to work the bottom portion of the shield. Took a snapshot of how it should look (final shot of the shield only).

Going to have to build the holder for the dual blades, but somewhat got it working for the pics. The orange color of the blades really matches the axe. Would be great if I could figure out how to darken it so it has the same tone.

This is my first custom. I was stoked tonight when I popped my first pin, and then cut my first plastic. Still need to sand it down to smooth it, but cut it fairly evenly so happy with it. Yes, I'm a n00b. :) 

Attached Files:

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I'd say this is worthy to be in Radicons Customs, no?

Anyways, will comment when things are painted. Looks promising, though! :) 

4. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Appreciate the positive feedback. Was hesitant to post anything at all, much less in the Radicon section, as it's my first attempt at a custom and the stuff in that forum is simply outstanding. I'm learning how to paint, and towards that end I've purchased styrene sheets to use for paint mixing, testing, and I've been using those to get a feel for how the paint looks, as well as trying different priming (no pun intended) techniques. Learning a lot in the process, but not quite ready yet to begin painting. Getting closer though with every attempt/day.

With that said, I had only intended to do the shield initially, then I found the MGs/Launcher, then the blades, and it kind of took on a life of it's own when I figured out how I could connect all 3 together to form an alt/plane mode (not exactly too hard since I used a stripped down version of Generations Thunderwing.

Pretty happy with how this will turn out when it's done though if I can get the paint job right. It's going to have quite a few combination choices for the MGs/Blades/Shield when it's all said and done, which was really my #1 goal as I simply love weapons. I'm only getting started, but I know this is where my passion currently is on the custom front. :) 

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Wait, the weapons make a plane when they're not being used? And you didn't put that in RC? :banghead: 

Good luck. What colours do you plan to paint it in?

6. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    I'm still learning to paint and mix the colors to get the effect I want. It will be a WFC darker red/blue (to match prime) with some type of black outline on the shield and chrome/gun metal/black (open for suggestions here) for the mgs/rocket launcher. Going to throw the shape into photoshop and play around with some simple patterns to find one I like for the shield.

7. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Painted these tonight. First round anyhow. Metallic/silver for the weapons, and used a panzer gray to prime the shield. Only problem I ran into is that the primer I used on the shield bubbled in a couple of places around where the tail fins folded as I hit them too many times (should have taken them off in retrospect).

Here's my plan to fix. Someone PLEASE correct me if this won't work.

1. Clean bubbles with Q-tip + alcohol until all cleaned off.
    2. Gently wash cleaned area with water / soft towel to remove alcohol. Let dry.
    3. After drying, carefully repaint area where bubbles were with a light, light coat so paint will blend together.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, as a project thread, we're now here in Customs :wink: 

9. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Here's some updated pics to show the primer color. If anyone wants to follow someone as they learn, their mistakes on the way, and hopefully how they resolve them, then this is the thread for you. lol

Like I said before, happy with the dark color on the soon to be shield, but clean up work to be done now.

Went ahead and attached the mg bullets I ordered to the guns. Like the way it looks.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Just did my first dry brushing. Really liked how it turned out. I used a flat black over the Metallic Silver to show aging/wear.

btw - I know these images aren't very good. I'm having to use my iPhone as my camera battery went out. Opted for a new camera (en route) over a new battery (was almost the same price!).

[​IMG]

Wow... now that it's posted, I see it's nigh impossible to see the difference. Ok. Not posting anything else until I get a new camera.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  11. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    MECHTECH in Perfection!

I love it!

Where did you get these Swords? I LOOOOOOOVE IT!

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    From what I can tell, you did a really nice metallic weathering paint application :thumb 

13. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :thumbs2: 

14. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Thanks for the positive feedback. My first mod/paint, and learning a lot of what to do, and what 'not' to do in the process. #1 thing to do. 'Light layers of paint'. Less is more. :) 

The swords were acquired from a Bionicles figure. Thought they'd make a nice Tformer weapon, and then as I messed around with them, they fit on the Dragon Wars MG guns I was using.

15. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Didn't get any warnings on my clean up proposal, and I can report it worked well! Just waiting on it drying. Would post pics, but going to wait until the new camera is in. Tried out some new colors I plan on using on prime and really like their color contrast against the Panzer Gray. Using a testors Saphire Blue which matches prime's original blue extremely well.

16. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Cut the plastic on the shield today and used a dremel to smooth it off.

I'm going to be painting the shield next. Working on the image in photoshop so I can get it perfect. Going to use the WWI Autobot symbol or the one with the sword down the middle (like it the best). Shield will be partial blue and fade to gray if I can get it right.

Attached Files:

17. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    That's some serious firepower you've got there! Nice job.

18. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Thanks. Learning a lot as I go. For example, I had to cut some fairly thick plastic on the bottom of the shield and the back of it. It was roughly 3/8th of an inch. I used some wire cutters I had to cut lines and break apart the big parts, and then I used a dremel with a metal brush to smooth out the rest of the edges prior to painting.

Think my next purchase will be a paint gun. I'm using spray paint now, and I'm struggling not to have it bunch up in places no matter how careful I am with it. From what I've read, an air brush would give me the ability to control the stream so I don't get any bunches/bubbles on the paint job. There's one big one on the shield, but I've already cleaned it once, and I'm not sure if I clean it again that I could avoid it a 3rd time, so it stays.

Also, if I could change one thing, I would not have painted the blades. Think they looked much better in the default orange, but red they are now.

BTW - Still getting used to the new camera. Haven't figured out the sweet / best spot for pics yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  19. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    now thats some fire power!!!!!!!

20. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Painted the shield tonight. Happy with the way it turned out, and how the paint looks on the flat gray primer.

Only a few things left to do.

1. Paint Autobot Symbol on Shield
    2. Create hand grips (been cheating on shield with rubber band heh)
    3. Put final items together and take final pics.

Still working on learning the camera, but getting better pics now.

Attached Files: