Heavy/Scratch: WFC Megatron Cannon mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by cheetor71, May 21, 2011.

1. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Wow. This was a major pain in the ass. I put an LED inside WFC Megatron's cannon. I used one of the finger lights that someone (I don't remember who) posted a while back. I had to heavily modify the inside of the cannon so the light and batteries would fit. Then I had to rig a switch so I can turn it on and off. The switch is on a little bit of an angle but that couldn't be helped. I am very pleased with how it turned out. My only problem with it is that the light seems to dim after it's been on for a few seconds. I painted it in flat black and then dry brushed it. I am going to paint in details and also paint the entire figure. This was my very first attempt at putting an LED in anything.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    It's cool, but it needs to be purple...

3. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I didn't have purple.

4. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

bump

5. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    It's still AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. HAIL_KING_PRIME

HAIL_KING_PRIME Well-Known Member

paint the bulb with clear blue paint ;) 

7. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I tried that. It still looks just as red.

8. HAIL_KING_PRIME

HAIL_KING_PRIME Well-Known Member

try wrapping it in blue electrical tape or shape and drill some clear blue plastic round the bulb ,hint tooth brushes

9. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

Don't bother with purple LED's, they have a very short wavelength or something, which means you can barely see them unless the lights are off. Purple translucent toothbrush as a filter sounds viable.

10. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  11. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately right now, I'm having problems with ebay. I went to BIN and after I commit to buy it tells me to follow the imaginary directions to provide some sort of additional verification on my account but it doesn't actually tell me what I have to do.

12. MASON2345

MASON2345 Well-Known Member

I feel your pain! The WFC Megs I did for the CF auction (purple led from radioshack btw) I nearly melted the entire back half of the cannon.

I used the original missile button with a bit of trimming as my switch.

This toy by FAR looks so much meaner with a led in the cannon

13. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Thanks. Radio shack you say. I'll have to go there. Can you tell me how much it was for the led's do they sell them single or in packs? Also I think I'm going to have to rig a different switch. What I did isn't working out too well. I either can't get the light to stay on or it won't go out at all. I placed a small spring inside to keep the contact off the wire but the wire keeps hitting the spring and the light stays on sometimes. Usually I have to mess with the switch a little for it to go off.

14. simified

simified Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Here's a simple trick you can do as well "if" you were wanting a different colored bulb. Use a clear led from the start. Any Party City or Factory Card Outlet will carry translucent colored wrapping paper. Buy a roll in what ever color you want then cut it to fit. If the shade isn't to your liking the double up on it.

You can also try this, contact Lee Filters on their website. Have a color swatch booklet sent to your house. They deal with lighting films. A swatch book is free and it contains 100's of different color/shades of translucent plastic films. I have 2 booklets I got a while back. I make lightsabers and I've used these films on white LEDs to give my sabers an awesome purple blade that looks better than using any purple LED you might find. Lee has probably around 15 shades of purple filters. I'm certain you'll find a color to suit your needs.

15. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

Wait, what? Did you plug it in the wall, or something? :p  Certainly, blue/purple LEDs require slightly more forward voltage to operate than, say, a red one, but they tend to use about the same current as any other...certainly nothing that should melt plastic. I'm thinking that you should check into using a current-limiting resistor in series with the LED to prevent runaway power draw and the subsequent heating that could result.

16. simified

simified Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was using my phone before and couldn't find the link for Lee Filters. I'm at home now so here it is...

http://www.shop.leefiltersusa.com/Designer-Swatch-Book-SWB.htm

I stand corrected, since I last got one they now charge $2 per book. I'm not knocking the use of purple LED's but on the lightsaber sight I use we've all tested the use of purple LED's vs the use of colored filters. Colored filters work better hands down. The lighter the film, the brighter the light and vise versa. Shipping for the swatch book is about 2 weeks but it's well worth the wait. It's $2 but it's still cheaper than colored bulbs, you have hundreds or choices to choose from, and it's a lot easier to swap out different colors than swapping out bulbs.

17. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Thank you for the link. I will try this out to see if I get the result I want