Customs: WFC Insect Leader Conversion Kit

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Wow. I used to blame Hasbro for milking a mold for money, releasing remold after remold (Energon Arcee, i'm looking at you...). Now i'm doing it myself. Heh, guess it does make good business sense to do remolds after all. :lol 

Firstly, take a nice long look at my avatar...

...Figured it out yet? If you haven't, my avatar is my custom Insect Leader, made from a Classics Bumbleebee. Black and purple guy with big silver horns. It's blatantly obvious who it is, no? Anyways, that's pretty much my signature custom, i've done it in Classics style, Animated, and now i want one for WFC. But the problem is, this Bumblebee...doesn't quite fit Insect Leader to me. There's just something about it that's too...round. And smooth. And Autobot-y. So i did the most obvious thing possible.

WFC Insect Leader Conversion Kit!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okay, so this really should need no explanation by now, but i'll go through it anyways. You get three parts with this kit. The back part is the Insect Leader Adaption Profile (ILAP). Like all the other Profiles, you need to permabond it to the figure, though since you'll need to paint the figure anyways, not a problem for this kit. Just make sure you have some superglue, and you'll be fine. If you'll note, this AP features more connection points than both the BBAP and the CJAP, having a total of 6 (one hidden from view in the pics, the AP is symmetrical, so the sixth point is a mirror of the lone point that's facing towards you). I'll get to the uses of the two extra points in a sec.

The front parts are the Horned Battle Armors (left and right versions, duh). These, as hard as it is to see in the pics, still retain the curve that BB and CJ have, so they should flow with the car mode. The horns in this version were the subject of some artistic license. Unlike G1, the ends of the horns are now sloped, acting to lift other cars up off the ground. Now, because they sit off the ground, only a car with extremely high ground clearance would ever get caught, but hell, even if you weren't flipped by them, being rammed by those horns would hurt. ;)  Unlike the SBA and FWBA, these HBA's don't have to be removed for Robot mode. They do partsform, but aren't removed completely. that's what the two side points in the ILAP are for. The HBA's plug into the side holes in robot mode, to imitate the G1 version's shoulder-mounted horns.

That's really all there is to the set. Well, all but the price. But don't worry, somehow these sets get cheaper and cheaper. This one comes out to only $31 USD, including worldwide shipping. Again, I hollowed out the ILAP to save material and cost, but the HBA's were left solid (because hollowing them would weaken them too much, and because i was too lazy :lol ).

Thanks for looking, and c&c welcome. I will get around to testing this eventually, but i test stuff in the order i make stuff, so even if CJ should be perfect upon arrival in every single way, this set is still after BB's, so a while off yet. ;) 

P.S. Fuzzy Render Syndrome strikes again. I guess maybe i enlarged the render too much or something. It shouldn't have any effect on the model itself.

P.P.S Hmm, i seem to be flooding RGD with these recently. Oops. :(  :lol 

P.P.P.S Damn, making the mind-controlling bug is sooooooooo tempting. Grasshopper, not so much. :lol 

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

But the cicada's in charge... :sly: 

Seriously, though, while it's a bit of a niche market, this looks like it could be fun. I actually thought you were going for an homage of Bug Bite initially. :p 
    Be interesting if, instead of just having the jaws homaged on the armour canopy, you could actually have hinged jaws mounted at the front of the car.

3. Treadshot A1

There's a Cicada? For the record, I only ever liked three insect bots, and those were the black and purple ones. Deluxe insect robots were never cool. And of those three that I do like, this one's in charge, at least to me.

And hinged jaws at the front of the car? That would end up on the robot's chest, he'd be like Warpath but with huge insect horns instead of a cannon. Oh, right, you don't have the toy, so yeah, guess it would be hard for you to grasp the exact transformation sequence (no sarcasm intended). I had to make the jaws the armour of the car because of the problem with the transformation, and because if they were on the front, they'd be way too long in bot mode.

However, I'm thinking that with Mind Controller (not hard to figure out who that is), his cannon might not follow the curves of the car, I think a roof mounted cannon could be very awesome. And it would end up in the perfect placement in bot mode. At the same time, I could do it completely differently, you'll just have to wait and see. [/shameless teaser]

EDIT: wow, I can't believe I forgot to replicate a decent Insect Leader head for this kit. :(  will get to it in the morning. Alternatively, you can use the existing BB head, like I did with my Avatar.

4. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Best of all the Bee/CJ conversion kits that you have made, in my opinion.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Venom's the cicada, and the actual leader of the Insecticons. I think Shrapnel's considered the second-in-command, and most likely to usurp him.

If you were interested in the jaw concept but didn't want them on the chest, maybe you could have them mounted at the head of the armour?
    Another idea that comes to mind would be to model forward-facing gun barrels into the tips of the armour; these could be his electron blasters.

6. Treadshot A1

Why thanks a lot, lot. Do stay tuned for Mind Controller and Grasshopper who should hopefully come soon, soon.

There are three Insecticons, and only three, three. The Deluxes were all so crap they aren't worthy of that name, name. :(  :lol  Why, why? Because they weren't black and purple, purple. And what self-respecting robot worth a grain of salt calls himself Chop Shop, Shop?

To model the horns on the front of the armour would have resulted in a slight problem: They would not mount correctly in robot mod, mode. Instead, the horns' base would be far above his head, about twice his height, height. Factoring in the length of the horns, you'd end up with a figure three times the height of BB/CJ, BB/CJ.

I was tempted to model guns into his horns, but of all the WFC toys i've seen so far (i've not played the game), the impression i get is that all the vehicles are made for durability and physical combat, combat. For example, Soundwave has those spikes on the front to ram stuff, stuff. I see very few with actual guns, bar Megs, Megs. Hence, i decided to change his horns into a set of flippers (I dunno, maybe i've been reading the Robot Wars wiki too much lately, srimechs and all), flippers. Anyways, if he needs an electron blaster, the one that comes with the BB mold (the puny one) can still be mounted in one of the top connection points, so he won't be left weaponless, less.

*What speech impediment, ment?

7. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

someone has severe hating going for the DLX Insecticons.lol

8. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you do try to do the 'mind controlling bug' you're welcome to take parts from the g1 model of him that I made - the gun might be useful?

9. Treadshot A1

@Grimlockprime: Yes, i hate those damned DLX's. I like to think of the Insecticons like a swarm of mass produced things (like the drones that were released in TFC), with the three that we normally know being the leaders of their respective drone types. There haven't been any toys of the DLX's in drone form yet, so they don't really qualify to me.

@Rodentus Prime: Hmm, that is a very nice model. I think i might steal the horn and gun, especially if i can ever figure out how to scale stuff in Sketchup. Very helpful. Thanks. :) 

However, i think before i steal the horn, i will try my hand at making one myself. I want to use the horn style from my Insecticlones custom Bombshell, where the main shaft was made from a styrene tube. Hence, it was hollow and you could see into it. I think this will work better, especially to simulate firing actual projectiles instead of those standard, generic energy bolts. Plus, i might make some not-cerebro shells for him. ;) 

10. Treadshot A1

Attached Files:

11. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

TEST THIS ONE FIRST!

Please ;) 

12. Treadshot A1

Seeing as you are Anti-Venom, i assume that means you hate the Deluxe Insect Robots as much as i do.

So, i ordered this kit, because everyone knows only 3 Insect Robots matter, damnit.